1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 04:03
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    its from the animated movie, Ice Age. Diego, Manny and Cid are taking the baby back
    to its tribe, there are two paths they can traverse, through the dark mountainous
    chasms, filled with unknown terrors and uncertainty, or around the mountain. When
    offered the choice of going through the unknown, Cid remarks, ' no thanks, i choose
    life'. this ...[text shortened]... urely human vision, I would rather chose what i know, the superlative example of the
    Christ.
    "fiends" or "friends",lol. (Surely this was not a typo🙂 )

I see your point.
    I guess neither of you were really talking about "Wham's" take on "choose life".
    ('choose life 1985' or something...they all had those t-shirts with that stupid phrase. P'haps it was a compilation album)

And yes, of course I disagree with you about your evaluation of the human condition. I do believe each and every person has the POTENTIAL power within to match JC's example... or the buddhas
  2. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 04:23
    I find Dasa/Asad to be a rare gem. I've been involved in religious discussion virtually unceaselessly, for about the last 10 years. And I have (had) yet never come across such an aggressive zealot for Hinduism. I have generally found the Hindu Tribe to be a tad condescending and a little obsessive compulsive with their evangelism... but otherwise fairly peaceful and kind.

Oddly enough, it was a strikingly similar Christian I came across about that same 10 years ago, who melted my Agnostic heart and planted a seed that finally found fertile soil. I'm thankful for the ol' nutter.

Again as I alluded to before, Dasa's rhethoric is fairly innocuous if you give it the credit it deserves. For it to upset you at all, look inside and see if it's partly your own fault because you are attaching weight and significance to it.

Whoever it was the posted the wiki page on sausage or whatever got it exactly right. Have fun with it.

He's probably got a thing or two he could teach us, though much of it would probably not be the way he intended.

I have found that poor represeantives for an ideology can be quite useful.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 04:40
    Originally posted by sumydid
    I find Dasa/Asad to be a rare gem. I've been involved in religious discussion virtually unceaselessly, for about the last 10 years. And I have (had) yet never come across such an aggressive zealot for Hinduism. I have generally found the Hindu Tribe to be a tad condescending and a little obsessive compulsive with their evangelism... but otherwise fairly p ...[text shortened]... he intended.

I have found that poor represeantives for an ideology can be quite useful.
    I think your easy objectivity comes from the fact that have not tried to engage with him on several occasions and been insulted.
  4. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 04:53
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I think your easy objectivity comes from the fact that have not tried to engage with him on several occasions and been insulted.
    Maybe I just have a different approach. I'm the kind of person who instead of being pestered and annoyed by the presence of a grandmother in the house who suffers from Alzheimers tries to make a positive out of it. Yes, when she comes into the room talking about just having a visit with her husband (who died 20 years prior), instead of feeling gloomy and sad or bothered by it, I like to have fun with it instead. Trump her story with one of your own, i.e. "Oh yeah? You just talked to him? Well that's weird because I just talked to him and he said he was going to work, leaped out the window, and sped off on a unicycle." About 2 or 3 of those is all even the Alzheimer sufferer can take -- before they (at least seemingly) sort of catch on to your outlandish claims and begin to think you're off your rocker and walk away.

For the win.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 05:18
    Maybe I just have a different approach. I'm the kind of person who instead of being pestered and annoyed by the presence of a grandmother in the house who suffers from Alzheimers tries to make a positive out of it. Yes, when she comes into the room talking about just having a visit with her husband (who died 20 years prior), instead of feeling gloomy and s ...[text shortened]... outlandish claims and begin to think you're off your rocker and walk away.

For the win.
    You're likening dasa to a demented elderly person?
  6. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 05:211 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You're likening dasa to a demented elderly person?
    I was going to put the disclaimer out there but then I stopped myself and said, "Surely no one is going to try and draw that conclusion...."

I was dead wrong.

No I'm not likening him to an elderly demented person; however I am drawing a comparison between his words, the words of anyone else which you may find bothersome or troubling, and a different, more positive way to approach it. Though I will admit that on the surface, it does have a disrespectful feel to it. Beyond that I believe it's a completely plausible way to deal with the situation, especially when considering the alternative.

Combatting harsh, aggressive, insulting rhetoric can be completely diffused if you devalue it to the degree where it can't possibly be insulting. Then, if you're morbidly fiendish like me, you might enjoy having fun with it as well. Again, whoever it was that posted the sausage page in response to a fairly lengthy and somewhat harsh rhetorical argument in favor of Hinduism... that person gets it.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 05:251 edit
    Again as I alluded to before, Dasa's rhethoric is fairly innocuous if you give it the credit it deserves. For it to upset you at all, look inside and see if it's partly your own fault because you are attaching weight and significance to it. Whoever it was the posted the wiki page on sausage or whatever got it exactly right. Have fun with it.
    I am not aware of anyone who is not, for all intents and purposes, having some "fun" with Dasa's rhethoric, or who is attaching unwarranted weight or significance to it. Perhaps you don't quite understand the nature of the internet or the dynamic of a forum like this. If you actually think there are many people here who are genuinely upset about what Dasa says or doesn't say, then maybe the joke is on you just a little bit. 😀
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 05:271 edit
    I was going to put the disclaimer out there but then I stopped myself and said, "Surely no one is going to try and draw that conclusion...."

I was dead wrong.
    So who was the demented elderly person simile about then? After all it was your post.
  9. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 05:28
    sorry, i edited my message to add the explanation
  10. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 05:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am not aware of anyone who is not, for all intents and purposes, having some "fun" with Dasa's rhethoric, or who is attaching unwarranted weight or significance to it. Perhaps you don't quite understand the nature of the internet or the dynamic of a forum like this. If you actually think there are many people here who are genuinely upset about what Dasa says or doesn't say, then maybe the joke is on you just a little bit. 😀
    Oh I understand the nature of the internet, I was on the internet day one and have been active on it ever since.

Though I hope the joke is on me and no one here is insulted by Dasa in the least... but the comments I've read so far do not support that possibility.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 05:341 edit
    Combatting harsh, aggressive, insulting rhetoric can be completely diffused if you devalue it to the degree where it can't possibly be insulting. Then, if you're morbidly fiendish like me, you might enjoy having fun with it as well. Again, whoever it was that posted the sausage page in response to a fairly lengthy and somewhat harsh rhetorical argument in favor of Hinduism... that person gets it.
    Are you trying to create some sort of universal posting template based on your personality and sense of fun? LOL. So if members of this community, with their every & eachly sense of fun and 'strategy' for dealing with a forum eccentric, don't post an equivalent of "the sausage page" or some other jape or josh that you personally approve of, then we don't get it? How funny. Are you new to the net? 😀
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 05:35
    Though I hope the joke is on me and no one here is insulted by Dasa in the least... but the comments I've read so far do not support that possibility.
    I'm starting to think it's you who does not "get it", and not the people here. 😀
  13. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 05:381 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'm starting to think it's you who does not "get it", and not the people here. 😀
    Works for me, I'm glad everyone isn't insulted. Really. Meanwhile, speak of the devil, where is ol' Dasa anyway? Does he/she ever got on at night?

*disclaimer*

I am not purporting or even remotely suggesting that Dasa in in fact Satan.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 05:43
    Works for me, I'm glad everyone isn't insulted. Really. Meanwhile, speak of the devil, where is ol' Dasa anyway? Does he/she ever got on at night?

*disclaimer*

I am not purporting or even remotely suggesting that Dasa in in fact Satan.
    He is perhaps being very wise and not posting in this thread.(He does post at night, anyway it's 3:30pm here).

Maybe just one short post. not sure ....

Just my view, carry on
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '11 05:46
    I still can't find the alleged "sausage page" post thing

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree