1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 12:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    Apart from a few fundamentalist Christians here, who has ever tried to superimpose their religionist creed onto Dasa and grossly abuse and insult him for not accepting it?
    Agreed. I have criticised the person, but not his religion.

It goes to the heart of what debate is, or should be.

The key problem with religion is that, by and large, it operates on an exclusionary principle. Unless you believe that all religions are manifestations of the same thing, as has been suggested, then you not only have to believe in a god, which for me is a huge leap, but one I am open to, but also choose a religion, and reject others. This I find the insurmountable obstacle and one I would love to explore more.

As the vast majority of people follow the religion of the family or society into which they were born, it should a matter of simple logic, if you reject other faiths, that you may (only may) have selected the wrong one due to chance factors. Born in a different time and place, many people would, almost certainly, have been a different religion and believe in it as passionately as they passionately reject it today. Different time and place, indeed, and you might never have heard of Jesus Christ, or the Vedas, or whoever.

Therefore, if you are going to discuss religion, it should be about the qualitative merit of its teachings, which should be capable of challenge.

But what you get from Dasa is "This is right because the Vedas say so". To be fair, this tendency is exhibited by others, but less offensively. This leads me to reject this religion because, if this is what it produces, then I want nothing of it. Wrong of me, of course, but that is the problem with fundamentalism, as it alienates those it should be seeking to convert.

Fine if you think this forum is a soapbox, but it is not debate and it should have no place on this forum.
  2. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 12:38
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i respect your position. as far as i am concerned, i at most mocked some aspects of the vedas(as portrayed by the dasa) that make some unfounded claims about the world (such as the length of the universe, the age, etc)

at no point in time did i believe that the vedas are a stupid religion (if they are indeed a religion, i dunno). In fact i admit my ign ...[text shortened]... nyone thinking differently... well there are many shades of dasa and you might be one of them.
    Vedas are probably the oldest human poetry expressing the then existing metaphysical views i.e. views about universal reality / God. My concern is that in the ongoing slugging match between Dasa and his detractors, no lump of mud should land on what many learned people think as one of the best pieces of metaphysical poetry. Thanks for your kind words.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 12:49
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Vedas are probably the oldest human poetry expressing the then existing metaphysical views i.e. views about universal reality / God. My concern is that in the ongoing slugging match between Dasa and his detractors, no lump of mud should land on what many learned people think as one of the best pieces of metaphysical poetry. Thanks for your kind words.
    Why did you recently say that you thought "Dasa has set the bar too high"?
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 12:57
    So where exactly are these 'trash' quotes?
  5. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 14:14
    Dear Dasa, As a fellow Hindu, I have to request you to stop entering into a mud slinging match with all and sundry. Your posts on the Geeta are dragging our religion, our philosophy, our culture into mud. You are making the Geeta and the Vedas objects of ridicule. If you want to tell others about the contents of the Geeta, please do so in brief and in yo ...[text shortened]... take some time and trouble to study at least a part of our philosophy, before calling it trash.
    I understand your plea and the hurt you must feel when a fellow Hindu disrespects not just others, but his own faith and its history and sacred books, by his intolerant way of speaking. I doubt his Guru would be pleased. We can defend strongly our views without disparaging others. Abuse is the first evidence of the failure of a poor argument.

Your own respectful and helpful posts about the Hindu faith already show that Hinduism is much broader and tolerant than the unpleasant responses of one Hindu person.

To me, dear Dasa appears to need, for some reason, the attention his belligerence regularly evokes, as here. If so, may that need eventually be fulfilled in a better way.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 15:11
    He has vehemently denied being Hindu, instead he calls himself 'vedic Krshna' or something like that. So he might even put you in the same category as all us dishonest atheists.
  7. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 17:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    He has vehemently denied being Hindu, instead he calls himself 'vedic Krshna' or something like that. So he might even put you in the same category as all us dishonest atheists.
    The Vedas are the fountainhead of Hinduism.They are the very basis on which the entire edifice of Hinduism is built. If one says that one respects the Vedas but is not a Hindu, there are only two possibilities. The first one is that this person belongs to some non-Hindu faith but has found great merit in the Vedas. The second possibility is that he does not know what he is talking about.
  8. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 17:38
    Originally posted by Taoman
    I understand your plea and the hurt you must feel when a fellow Hindu disrespects not just others, but his own faith and its history and sacred books, by his intolerant way of speaking. I doubt his Guru would be pleased. We can defend strongly our views without disparaging others. Abuse is the first evidence of the failure of a poor argument.

Your own resp ...[text shortened]... gerence regularly evokes, as here. If so, may that need eventually be fulfilled in a better way.
    Thanks Taoman,for your kind words ! As you know very well, Hinduism is an open, tolerant belief system. It does not claim that it is the only correct way to realize God.It says that all religions lead to God. Hence I was very much upset with Dasa's view that his views alone are correct and everyone else is "dishonest". This was very wrong and invited some severe criticism and even mudslinging. It had to be challenged by a fellow Hindu, which is what I have done.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 17:43
    Dear Dasa, As a fellow Hindu, I have to request you to stop entering into a mud slinging match with all and sundry. Your posts on the Geeta are dragging our religion, our philosophy, our culture into mud. You are making the Geeta and the Vedas objects of ridicule. If you want to tell others about the contents of the Geeta, please do so in brief and in yo ...[text shortened]... take some time and trouble to study at least a part of our philosophy, before calling it trash.
    It's not pleasant when you feel tarnished by another bearing your name and not demonstrating the value of it, is it.

Are you suggesting that a true follower of the Vedas wouldn't behave in such a way? The issue is not with dasa's detractors; the issue is with dasa.

I respectfully suggest you either speak privately with him; or question the efficacy of the philosophy you follow, before pleading to the forum.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 18:04
    Thanks Taoman,for your kind words ! As you know very well, Hinduism is an open, tolerant belief system. It does not claim that it is the only correct way to realize God.It says that all religions lead to God. Hence I was very much upset with Dasa's view that his views alone are correct and everyone else is "dishonest". This was very wrong and invited some ...[text shortened]... m and even mudslinging. It had to be challenged by a fellow Hindu, which is what I have done.
    Hello!! Are you ignoring me??

This is the third time now i've asked you to back up your allegation of detractors 'trashing' the Vedas. I don't want names, just name the thread and on which page.

I'm intrigued.
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 19:132 edits
    Truth be told, in Dasa/Vishvahetu's earlier days on this forum I was actually rooting for him - and would sometimes challenge other theists who cut him down (only when I felt like stirring the pot that is). My reason for doing this was simple, I like that underdog religions get a voice, with many of their adherents demonstrating just the same kind of failed logic as many Christians (especially the fundamentalist breed). It would be nice to one day observe some theist finally realising that his/her arguments are flawed by having to point out how the same argument from a theist under another belief system is equally flawed.

Alas - Dasa doesn't actually engage in discussion and instead just alienates himself from discussion throwing insults around and spamming us with scripture. Supporting him when jumped on by others no longer serves my interests, and given the Hindu voice is getting louder round here I'm not overly concerned. We need more Muslims and Scientologists though along with other religions just to stir up the pot some more.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 19:26
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Hello!! Are you ignoring me??

This is the third time now i've asked you to back up your allegation of detractors 'trashing' the Vedas. I don't want names, just name the thread and on which page.

I'm intrigued.
    ok, ill help you out, Dasa you cad! Dasa you bounder! Dasa you fraud! If one
    searches, one can see that he has been termed a serpent (thanks Suzzzzzzianne), a
    troll (Zzzzzalansy the Pansy) and no doubt various other appellations.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 19:27
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Truth be told, in Dasa/Vishvahetu's earlier days on this forum I was actually rooting for him - and would sometimes challenge other theists who cut him down (only when I felt like stirring the pot that is). My reason for doing this was simple, I like that underdog religions get a voice, with many of their adherents demonstrating just the same kind of failed lo ...[text shortened]... slims and Scientologists though along with other religions just to stir up the pot some more.
    I like that underdog religions get a voice

Is this why you chose atheism?
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 19:34
    I didn't choose atheism - I simply haven't chosen any religions. I remain at the default state...it's wonderful, you should try it! 🙂
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 19:35
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I didn't choose atheism - I simply haven't chosen any religions. I remain at the default state...it's wonderful, you should try it! 🙂
    Lol, no thanks, i choose life!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree