1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 18:38
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Only if the six posts were worth reading.

😉
    Oh, that's so subjective. No prize for me. 🙁
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 18:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Clearly your inability to back that up with a suitable reference suggests you were lying.
    Slight digression here. If I were mistaken, or the defs have changed, or I were otherwise incorrect without intending deception, would you say I was lying?
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 19:16
    I don't know how to access ama database. Remember I said, if you trust the ama.

http://www.addictioninfo.org/articles/447/1/Alcoholism-is-not-a-Disease/Page1.html
    And, for whatever reason, the definition of a disease, as set forth by the AMA, is a malleable and all inclusive definition allowing for the inclusion of almost every deviant behavior. As a result, every unwanted behavior can be medicalized and medically treated thereby providing professionals with more patients and more income.

Third party stuff is all I got for now. Damn the meme is strong here. I stubbed my toe so now I have a disease. Does that work for you?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 19:38
    Originally posted by apathist
    Slight digression here. If I were mistaken, or the defs have changed, or I were otherwise incorrect without intending deception, would you say I was lying?
    No. But that is not what you said when I asked for a reference. What you did was give a whole list of links that didn't back up your claim. This suggested you knew that your claim was untrue and you wished to distract us from it.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 19:39
    I stubbed my toe so now I have a disease. Does that work for you?
    Injury is different from disease.
    Would you classify addiction as injury?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 19:45
    What implications do you see from not using the word 'disease' for addiction? A label is just a label it doesn't change reality. Most people who insist on a particular label are trying to make a claim. What is your actual claim?
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 19:511 edit
    Here's a list of diseases. Note the lack of addiction or alcoholism. From cdc.
    http://www.cdc.gov/DiseasesConditions/az/a.html
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 19:59
    What implications do you see from not using the word 'disease' for addiction? A label is just a label it doesn't change reality. Most people who insist on a particular label are trying to make a claim. What is your actual claim?
    Disease happens to you regardless of your opinions. Addiction happens to you only if you allow it.

And if you allow it, you can always decide to quit. Try to quit a legitimate disease.
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 20:13
    No. But that is not what you said when I asked for a reference. What you did was give a whole list of links that didn't back up your claim. This suggested you knew that your claim was untrue and you wished to distract us from it.
    The ama did classify alcoholism as a disorder. The thing about ama, and the reason I suggested we shouldn't trust it, is that it is politically motivated. Gotta get the govt bucks.
    From nih, dude
    http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh27-1/5-17.htm
    DSM–IV and ICD–10 define two alcohol use disorders—dependence and abuse.

bump you and your accusation of lying
    You could try to learn about the actual situation and make useful remarks.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 20:14
    mere four in a row but the quality increased, right
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 20:211 edit
    Disease happens to you regardless of your opinions.
    Not true. Many diseases are behaviour related.

And if you allow it, you can always decide to quit.
    All this time and you haven't even bothered to look up what 'addiction' means?
    You cannot quit addiction. You can quit the activity you are addicted to. Depending on the activity, the addiction may remain.

Try to quit a legitimate disease.
    Its called going to a doctor. It works for many diseases.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 20:23
    mere four in a row but the quality increased, right
    No.
    You are still desperately trying to play word games with no real point.
    What do you really want to say, regardless of the exact definition of 'disease'?
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 20:36
    Originally posted by twhitehead...
    You cannot quit addiction. You can quit the activity you are addicted to. Depending on the activity, the addiction may remain. ...
    You can quit addiction. People do it all the time.You do this by quitting an activity, you are right about that. Addiction is a behavior and nothing more.
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 20:41
    Not true. Many diseases are behaviour related.
    Yes true. Your opinions will not make cancer go away for example. Of course your behavior affects what diseases you may catch.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 20:49
    Its called going to a doctor. It works for many diseases.
    You see no difference between having a goiter and drinking too much? I don't believe you because I don't think you're stupid. Clearly the first is an example of stuff that may happen due to lifestyle but once it happens is there regardless of opinion, while the latter is an example of stuff that happens only if we choose to continue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree