1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 21:06
    "I can't see no reason to put up a fight.....I'm living for giving the devil his due".
    Burnin' for you, by Blue Oyster Cult.

There is something called "The Elect".....and "Reprobate", that says God has predestined some to go to Heaven, and the rest do NOT. This opposes those that feel our free will can somehow make a difference on our eternal destiny.

Maybe we're trying too hard?
    Is it possible some on this forum have already been doomed to hell, by God, and just don't know it yet?

The lyrics from the quoted song seem to come from someone who has possibly stopped fighting, and will just live life.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 23:58
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    "I can't see no reason to put up a fight.....I'm living for giving the devil his due".

There is something called "The Elect".....and "Reprobate", that says God has predestined some to go to Heaven, and the rest do NOT. This opposes those that feel our free will can somehow make a difference on our eternal destiny. ...[text shortened]... uoted song seem to come from someone who has possibly stopped fighting, and will just live life.
    The devil is none other than Gods highest angel who had fallen. He has been redeemed by the angel of Redemption and has returned to fulfill the Lords will
  3. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 00:26

There is something called "The Elect".....and "Reprobate", that says God has predestined some to go to Heaven, and the rest do NOT. This opposes those that feel our free will can somehow make a difference on our eternal destiny. ...[text shortened]... uoted song seem to come from someone who has possibly stopped fighting, and will just live life.
    Christians don't fear the reaper. *wink*

Check this one out from Blue Oyster Cult. I used to equate it with getting saved before it's too late, but it's probably a ballad about a murder or something. I never researched it. But it's one of my faves from BOC. I stole this album from the Turtles record store when I was a kid. What a reprobate I was.

YouTube : Deadline
  4. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 00:35

By the way I believe "Burnin' For You" is a song about a guy who makes a deal with the devil to get a girl, and doesn't regret it even when it comes time to make good on his end of the bargain. But, I never researched that one either so I guess I could be wrong.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 06:48
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    By the way I believe "Burnin' For You" is a song about a guy who makes a deal with the devil to get a girl, and doesn't regret it even when it comes time to make good on his end of the bargain. But, I never researched that one either so I guess I could be wrong.
    sounds about right
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 07:09

Have you decided whether or not you are a Christian yet?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 09:07
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Have you?

Bronwen says you’re an ex-Christian like Kiddo. Is she mistaken?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 11:421 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Since you love talking about hell, do you have a comment about 'reprobate'? Where God predestines humans to hell, as they are not part of "the elect".

Christian labels are meaningless.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 12:05

Songfacts.com says about this song:

"Lead guitarist Don "Buck Dharma" Roeser wrote this with Richard Meltzer, a rock writer who often contributed lyrics to the band. Dharma initially planned to release this song on his solo album, Flat Out, but was later convinced to include it on Blue Öyster Cult's Fire Of Unknown Origin." Dharma sang lead, as he did on many of BÖC's songs.

"When Richard Meltzer wrote the lyrics, he titled the song "Burn Out The Night," a reference to an evening of rock and roll. Blue Öyster Cult had a "band house" where their band members and associates (including their manager, Sandy Pearlman would bring in song ideas and lyrics.

"Joe Bouchard, who was their bass player at the time, told the metal magazine Chips & Beer that he and Buck Dharma came across Meltzer's lyrics at the same time, and each wrote their own song around it. Dharma's version, with the title changed to "Burnin' For You," was the one that got recorded."

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/blue-oyster-cult/burnin-for-you
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 12:11
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Songfacts.com says about this song:

"Lead guitarist Don "Buck Dharma" Roeser wrote this with Richard Meltzer, a rock writer who often contributed lyrics to the band. Dharma initially planned to release this song on his solo album, Flat Out, but was later convinced to include it on Blue Öyster Cult's Fire Of Unknown Origin." Dharma sang lead, as he did o ...[text shortened]... s the one that got recorded."

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/blue-oyster-cult/burnin-for-you
    I have my own interpretation of the lyrics. Besides, this thread is more about how God predestines humans to hell, and how "not fighting" can be refreshing.

Are you one of the "elect" Suzianne?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 12:18
    I have my own interpretation of the lyrics. Besides, this thread is more about how God predestines humans to hell, and how "not fighting" can be refreshing.

Are you one of the "elect" Suzianne?
    If I was, would I know it?

No, chaney, I am far from being one of the "elect".
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 12:21
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    If I was, would I know it?

No, chaney, I am far from being one of the "elect".
    Isn't it disturbing to think that using our free will to try to do good works could be for nothing, because God chose us for hell even before our birth?
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 12:37
    Isn't it disturbing to think that using our free will to try to do good works could be for nothing, because God chose us for hell even before our birth?
    Relax. He didn't.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 12:47
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Relax. He didn't.
    For someone who doesn't believe in "Him", you seem arrogantly sure about it.
    I didn't make up "The Elect" and "Reprobate".
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 12:55
    For someone who doesn't believe in "Him", you seem arrogantly sure about it.
    I didn't make up "The Elect" and "Reprobate".
    My arrogance sir is firmly based on my certainty of His non-existence. I am just as arrogantly certain that there is absolutely no celery in my fridge. (Long story).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree