1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:33
    @philokalia said
    The fact that you want to change it and turn it into something that is a direct assault on God, something that goes beyond the normal language of it, gives it a very political definition.
    I am not assaulting any god or gods; I am critiquing an ideology and confronting its proponents. If you don't think it's "normal language", you should say so - just like you have in this instance - and always say what you believe. It's healthy.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:35
    @philokalia said
    Other people have used angry, inflammatory language about Muslims and about him as an atheist in the past, so he is going to use inflammatory language about Hell
    You are mischaracterizing what I actually said about people calling Muhammed a liar and a Satanist. Go back and read it again.
  3. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:36
    @fmf said
    If I thought "Hell" was appropriate 'enough', I'd use that. But I think the "torturer god ideology' is far better. It shines a bit of light into the heart of darkness that it's describing.
    But you think the torturer god ideology is far better a description even though the Bible knows nothing about it?

I suppose along with advocating the freedom of speech you advocate the right to be wrong too.

In light of the fact that the Bible does not teach about a torturer god, you are obviously promoting an idea you know is false simply as a barb against the God of the Bible and those that believe in Him.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:37
    @philokalia said
    The default is that people get to name their own ideologies. If I'm in a formal discussion I will refer to Communism as communism. Of course behind closed doors and if I'm feeling angry I can definitely refer to it as other things and be as angry as I like about it, but that's just not something that you should do in public. You shouldn't actually try to deny the name of the doctor. Particularly when it's very common and very neutral.
    My response to all this is that you should post in the way you think is right.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:38
    @secondson said
    But you think the torturer god ideology is far better a description even though the Bible knows nothing about it?
    The Bible does not contain the words "trinity" or "the torturer god ideology".
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:39
    @fmf said
    My response to all this is that you should post in the way you think is right.
    And the truth be damned, right?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    @secondson said
    I suppose along with advocating the freedom of speech you advocate the right to be wrong too.
    Yes. People are free to disagree with each other. KellyJay believes the earth is 6,000 years old. He has the right to believe that,
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    @secondson said
    And the truth be damned, right?
    "Damned"?
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:41
    @fmf said
    The Bible does not contain the words "trinity" or "the torturer god ideology".
    Therefore a departure from the narrative of the Bible mischaracterizes the truth it tells, no?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:41
    @secondson said
    In light of the fact that the Bible does not teach about a torturer god, you are obviously promoting an idea you know is false simply as a barb against the God of the Bible and those that believe in Him.
    Numerous Christian posters here over the years have propagated what I call the "torturer god ideology". It's your prerogative to call it false if you choose to.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:43
    @secondson said
    Therefore a departure from the narrative of the Bible mischaracterizes the truth it tells, no?
    "Torturer god ideology" refers to the set of ideas and moral assertions numerous Christians have been describing and justifying here as long as I have been posting here. They use the Bible to justify what they believe.
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:44
    @fmf said
    "Damned"?
    "The truth be damned". It's an idiom. Consider the context. Follow the thread.
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:45
    @fmf said
    I am not assaulting any god or gods; I am critiquing an ideology and confronting its proponents. If you don't think it's "normal language", you should say so - just like you have in this instance - and always say what you believe. It's healthy.
    The Doctrine of hell has been called that for an extremely long time and it's one of the most common and basic beliefs and go into Christianity. It's not as if it's something that is recent.

Using very exceptional language about it is simply to insult people who believe in it, it's not to try to shed some kind of new light on it. If you want to shed new light on something you should just make a post about it, describe it, you shouldn't hijack the typical words used to describe it. I find that to be against the sort of Good Will that Debaters should have when they discuss something.
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:46
    The real mistake, perhaps, is believed that people would have just there's semantics to have a more fair and open discussion.

I think this is why this form is largely abandoned. It's dominated by few posters Who present the same ideas over and over again and do it in generally offencive Language.

I guess that since it's pretty hopeless that anything would change its kind of a waste of time and energy to dwell on this issue. But hey, it's good just to touch base on this once in a while, I guess. And there was nothing much else going on around here.
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:47
    @fmf said
    "Torturer god ideology" refers to the set of ideas and moral assertions numerous Christians have been describing and justifying here as long as I have been posting here. They use the Bible to justify what they believe.
    You're going to have to provide quotes to support that assertion, otherwise you're merely promoting a personal perception, which is nothing less than rumor mongering.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree