1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 13:55
    Originally posted by @whodey
    In a college paper, Barak Obama expressed some hero worship for Donald Trump because of his financial success stating that he wanted to be as successful as well as his children.

I think many people feel the same.
    Other than you liking his stance on abortion and what you perceive as being his charisma, what other values and policies drove you to vote for Donald Trump?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 14:01
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    As I said:
    <<Misogyny, racism, greed and simple mindedness had no small part in getting Trump elected.>>

Based on the responses from whodey and rbhill, it's evident that "simple mindedness" played no small part for them. Perhaps they'll later shed some light on how much the other three also came into play for them.
    So it's simple mindedness not to be able to get passed mass genocide?

Ok then, thank God I'm simple minded, unlike you.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 14:38
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    On all seriousness, FMF, here is a list of the most prominent Christian conservative podcast personalities, more or less, and their positions on Trump.

- Fr. Mitch Pacwa (Catholic): He is morally bankrupt but he is a better option than the alternative in many ways.

- James White (Reformed Baptist, Calvinist): He is morally bankrupt but he has the ...[text shortened]... the President.

Your simple narrative is not adequate nor representative of conservatives.[/b]
    I'm talking about tens of millions of Christian voters not a tiny number of people who make podcasts.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 14:43
    In a college paper, Barak Obama expressed some hero worship for Donald Trump because of his financial success stating that he wanted to be as successful as well as his children.

I think many people feel the same.
    If you are referring to this Thread 178348, you are lying about the content of the paper.
  5. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 14:53
    I know this is an anonymous forum and all, but I just want to add my name to the list of Christians who decidedly did/do/will NOT support the current president.

As to why so many Christians did/do/will, I agree with whodey--I think it's abortion specifically and the Supreme Court more broadly.

Personally I find it hard to imagine how anyone could watch him and find his behavior, or policies, reflecting anything close to Christian values...but when you have people (like whodey) who view abortion as such an egregious crime that they draw parallels to Nazi genocide without flinching, then I'm disappointed but not surprised.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 15:411 edit
    Originally posted by @wittywonka
    I know this is an anonymous forum and all, but I just want to add my name to the list of Christians who decidedly did/do/will NOT support the current president.

As to why so many Christians did/do/will, I agree with whodey--I think it's abortion specifically and the Supreme Court more broadly.

Personally I find it hard to imagine how anyone could w ...[text shortened]... they draw parallels to Nazi genocide without flinching, then I'm disappointed but not surprised.
    Take it up with your Leftist Pope

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/pope-compares-abortion-to-nazi-eugenics-472001.html

The Pope made the comparison in a long, off-the-cuff address to a members of a confederation of Italian family associations.

“Children should be accepted as they come, as God sends them, as God allows, even if at times they are sick,” he said.

Francis spoke of pre-natal tests to determine if a fetus has any illnesses or malformations.

He said: “The first proposal, in that case, is: ‘Should we get rid of it?’ The killing of children. And to have a more tranquil life, an innocent is done away with.

“I say it with pain. In the last century the whole world was scandalised by what the Nazis did to pursue the pureness of the race. Today, we are doing the same thing, with white gloves.”

At the same meeting, Francis also said only heterosexual couples can form a family.

“It is painful to say this today: People speak of varied families, of various kinds of family... [but] the family [as] man and woman in the image of God is the only one,” said the Pope, according to ANSA, the Italian news agency.

I mean, either it is murder or it is not.

If it is, in the US alone more than 50 million have perished since Roe vs. Wade.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 15:44
    Originally posted by @fmf
    If you are referring to this Thread 178348, you are lying about the content of the paper.
    This is what Obama said

“The depth of this commitment may be summarily dismissed as the unfounded optimism of the average American—I may not be Donald Trump now, but just you wait; if I don’t make it, my children will.”

Now you may claim that there is no hero worship here, but if so I have a bridge I can sell ya.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 16:41

I never said anything of the kind.

That said, this latest post of yours is a prime example of your simple mindedness in and of itself.
  9. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 16:451 edit
    Take it up with your Leftist Pope

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/pope-compares-abortion-to-nazi-eugenics-472001.html

The Pope made the comparison in a long, off-the-cuff address to a members of a confederation of Italian family associations.

“Children should be accepted as they come, as God sends them, as God allows, even if at times they ...[text shortened]... r it is not.

If it is, in the US alone more than 50 million have perished since Roe vs. Wade.
    (1) I am not Catholic.

(2) Your link doesn't work. - Edit: it does work on my computer, but didn't work on my phone.

(3) In your article, the Pope is discussing abortion for medical reasons that relate to the fetus. There are other reasons that women cite for seeking abortion, as well.

(4) There are also other reasons that women cite for seeking prenatal medical testing.

(5) "I mean, either it is murder or it is not." As with most political and philosophical and religious issues, viability and personhood are concepts that don't lend themselves well to black-and-white reasoning.

(6) I did not post here to debate abortion. I understand that for many people opposition to abortion is a very sincerely-held belief. I posted here because it blows my mind how some Christians claim to support Trump because they think he is an exemplar of Christian values. They're not supporting him because of that (they're supporting him because of abortion and SCOTUS nominees), and he's not that either (because of so many things that I don't have time to list them all).
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 16:56

Personally I find it hard to imagine how anyone could w ...[text shortened]... they draw parallels to Nazi genocide without flinching, then I'm disappointed but not surprised.
    If in fact it were only about the abortion issue, then they would denounce Trump, his behavior and the majority of his policies. But of course they don't. People like people like themselves.

Of course if it were only about the abortion issue, they would also denounce the majority of the policies of the Republican party. But of course they don't. People like people like themselves.

You speak of "Christian values" as if they were the values espoused by Christ. As evidenced by the political climate in the US, "Christian values" have drifted so far from the values espoused by Christ so as to be antithetical to them.
  11. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 17:00
    As evidenced by the political climate in the US, "Christian values" have drifted so far from the values espoused by Christ so as to be antithetical to them.
    I agree.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 17:301 edit
    (1) I am not Catholic.

(2) Your link doesn't work. - Edit: it does work on my computer, but didn't work on my phone.

(3) In your article, the Pope is discussing abortion for medical reasons that relate to the fetus. There are other reasons that women cite for seeking abortion, as well.

(4) There are also other reasons that women cite for seeking ...[text shortened]... ), and he's not that either (because of so many things that I don't have time to list them all).
    An exemplar of Christian values?

Who, within a thousand mile range of Washington DC has those?

LMAO!

All I ask if to stop the genocide.

Then who knows, maybe on to health care, but alas, I ask too much.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 17:421 edit
    I agree.
    Seems like the Christians having values that are antithetical to those espoused by Jesus, nevertheless believe that they are "followers of Jesus". They believe that they are true Christians who have "received Jesus as [their] Savior", have a personal relationship with Jesus and have the Holy Spirit to guide them.

How do you account for this?
  14. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 18:151 edit
    Seems like the Christians having values that are antithetical to those espoused by Jesus, nevertheless believe that they are "followers of Jesus". They believe that they are true Christians who have "received Jesus as [their] Savior", have a personal relationship with Jesus and have the Holy Spirit to guide them.

How do you account for this?
    This is a good question, but a good answer would be long and nuanced. My mediocre answer is:

Part of the explanation is that it's a self-reinforcing narrative. Popular Christianity emphasizes purity, insiders-vs-outsiders, righteous-vs-unholy. Instead of opening their doors, many churches close them, if not literally then effectively. This turns churches into louder and louder echo chambers. And when others in society, Christians or otherwise, call them out on their religious hypocrisies, they adopt persecution complexes and insulate themselves even more.
  15. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 18:20
    An exemplar of Christian values?

Who, within a thousand mile range of Washington DC has those?

LMAO!

All I ask if to stop the genocide.

Then who knows, maybe on to health care, but alas, I ask too much.
    Then would it really be so hard for you, or God forbid other elected Republicans, to call out and stand up to the president for all the other ways he does not exemplify Christian values, on every other policy issue except abortion?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree