1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 12:40
    @tom-wolsey said
    The choice Christians had were (a) Vote for a scoundrel with some policies we support, or (b) vote for a scoundrel who is openly hostile to anything Christian.
    Sounds like an excuse, frankly.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 12:46
    @tom-wolsey said
    Most Conservative Christians see some level of value in Trump's positions on

Abortion
    The LGBTQP agenda and special interest groups
    Tax rates
    Strong borders
    The threat of radical Islam
    The size of government and government intervention in our personal lives
    The need to diminish the power and presence of career status quo crony politicans (a.k.a. "the swamp"😉
    The ...[text shortened]... success
    Personal liberty
    Certain international and diplomatic policies
    Country and citizens first
    how can you use the term Conservative Christian in the same sentence , an oxymoron for sure.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 13:022 edits
    @suzianne said
    Sounds like an excuse, frankly.
    Exactly.

As I wrote earlier:
    If it were primarily about stopping women from having abortions, there were any number Republican presidential candidates available who had much stronger anti-abortion stances...

If in fact it were only about the abortion issue, then they would denounce Trump, his behavior and the majority of his policies. But of course they don't. People like people like themselves.

Of course if it were only about the abortion issue, they would also denounce the majority of the policies of the Republican party. But of course they don't. People like people like themselves.

[People] speak of "Christian values" as if they were the values espoused by Christ. As evidenced by the political climate in the US, "Christian values" have drifted so far from the values espoused by Christ so as to be antithetical to them.

Conservative Christians misuse the Bible as a weapon to further their own values. They misuse the Bible to create God in their own image.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 19:24
    @fmf said
    What's it all about?

Is it just about stopping women from having abortions?

Is that all it is, or is there some other reason for "Christian" fealty to Trump?
    Throughout most of human history, people lived in small tribes, and as such people have an innate loyalty towards people they feel as belonging to their tribe (modern civilization is extremely young, biologically speaking). The political system of the United States fosters precisely such a tribal mentality, even if not intentionally so. The resulting urge towards conformism to the tribal leaders' wishes is so strong that people will generally prefer their tribe's leader over a rival tribe's leader, even if "their" leader is a demented reality TV star.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 02:42
    @thinkofone said
    Exactly.

As I wrote earlier:
    [quote]If it were primarily about stopping women from having abortions, there were any number Republican presidential candidates available who had much stronger anti-abortion stances...

If in fact it were only about the abortion issue, then they would denounce Trump, his behavior and the majority of his policies. But of course they don't ...[text shortened]... ble as a weapon to further their own values. They misuse the Bible to create God in their own image.
    I fully agree with this.

I have a real problem imagining Jesus as a Trump supporter.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 03:03
    You think Jesus would place any one of us above another, wouldn't we all be just
    a bunch of sinners? What I do know is that there are scriptures on how we are to
    treat those in authority over us.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 03:04
    @wittywonka said
    Why does my criticism of many (certainly not all) churches for the way they read the Bible without regard for historical context, translational accuracy, or theological nuance lead you to believe that I have a "secular" view of the Church?
    You left out the most important part of being a Christian.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 03:10
    @thinkofone said
    Conservative Christians misuse the Bible as a weapon to further their own values. They misuse the Bible to create God in their own image.
    Do you think you “misuse the bible” to “further your own values” when you promote “the words of Jesus” selectively, and talk about the “gospel of Jesus” and yet won’t discuss what this “gospel”, this good news, actually is?
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 07:37
    @kazetnagorra said
    Throughout most of human history, people lived in small tribes, and as such people have an innate loyalty towards people they feel as belonging to their tribe (modern civilization is extremely young, biologically speaking). The political system of the United States fosters precisely such a tribal mentality, even if not intentionally so. The resulting urge towards conform ...[text shortened]... ir tribe's leader over a rival tribe's leader, even if "their" leader is a demented reality TV star.
    I find this to be an interesting sentiment...

I am not sure what to say about it.

Let me just ask then...

How does your German system differ?
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 07:38
    @badradger said
    how can you use the term Conservative Christian in the same sentence , an oxymoron for sure.
    How so?
  11. Germany
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 14:32
    @philokalia said
    I find this to be an interesting sentiment...

I am not sure what to say about it.

Let me just ask then...

How does your German system differ?
    It is not "my" system, but anyway...

Multi-party systems differ in that people are encouraged to think more carefully about their vote. Having multiple parties generally assures that if you don't like a certain party, there will be another one not too different, as opposed to a two-party system where the opposing party is viewed as radically different. Hence, the tribal mentality, while not completely eliminated, is somewhat suppressed, and political representatives are a more faithful reflection of the political views of the electorate.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 18:18
    @fmf said
    What's it all about?

Is it just about stopping women from having abortions?

Is that all it is, or is there some other reason for "Christian" fealty to Trump?
    My cousin-in-law voted for Trump precisely because of the "wedge issue" of abortion ... the same hoped Trump would get impeached within 1 month.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 23:22
    @bigdoggproblem said
    My cousin-in-law voted for Trump precisely because of the "wedge issue" of abortion ... the same hoped Trump would get impeached within 1 month.
    If it were not for the entire DNC using abortion as one of the pillars of their foundation, Trump more than likely would not be President.

Funny that.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 23:33
    @whodey said
    If it were not for the entire DNC using abortion as one of the pillars of their foundation, Trump more than likely would not be President.

Funny that.
    If the issue were primarily about stopping women from having abortions as many Christians try to pretend, Trump would never had made it out of the primary since there were any number Republican presidential candidates available who had much stronger anti-abortion stances.

Funny that.

If in fact it were only about the abortion issue, then they would denounce Trump, his behavior and the majority of his policies. But of course they don't. People like people like themselves.

Of course if it were only about the abortion issue, they would also denounce the majority of the policies of the Republican party. But of course they don't. People like people like themselves.

[People] speak of "Christian values" as if they were the values espoused by Christ. As evidenced by the political climate in the US, "Christian values" have drifted so far from the values espoused by Christ so as to be antithetical to them.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 23:55
    @thinkofone said
    If the issue were primarily about stopping women from having abortions as many Christians try to pretend, Trump would never had made it out of the primary since there were any number Republican presidential candidates available who had much stronger anti-abortion stances.

Funny that.

If in fact it were only about the abortion issue, then they would denounce Trump, hi ...[text shortened]... ian values" have drifted so far from the values espoused by Christ so as to be antithetical to them.
    Trump was not my first pick, second pick, even sixth pick. I was never going to vote
    for Hillary, mainly because I didn't trust her, I think she had done so many things
    wrong and gotten away with them, because I felt she was protected by those in
    power.

I think the thing that separated Trump from the rest, was he wasn't one of the
    good ole boys in the Republican party. He was/is vulgar with a colorful mouth,
    but actually said what he meant. This was not well received by many, but enough
    to win an election.

I think outside of the personal attacks which are non-stop 24/7 from most of the
    major news outlets, his appeal is getting stronger, when looking at jobless
    numbers for Women, Black, and Hispanics they are at record lows. The personal
    attacks are non-stop now, I don't even hear them any more like I did at the very
    beginning, now they just blend into a long procession of hate Trump over and
    over, there is always some new reason to hate Trump, it is near pathological.

It wouldn't be so bad, except that things that other Presidents gotten away with
    and were defended for, are worse than the things Trump has said and done, in my
    opinion. Take Clinton for example, he had a trail of women who accused him of
    assaulting them, but he was given a pass, and defended by a lot of people who are
    mad at Trump. With some of these same people are now, calling for blood!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree