1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 04:24
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Trump is also accused of being a racist. Could you imagine Obama writing a paper about wanting to be as successful as David Duke?
    What on earth are you on about now?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 04:302 edits
    My point is, Trump's name was used because Obama looked up to him because of his financial success. He could have used a great number of other people to use in his paper, but he chose "The Donald". This shows that no one at the time viewed him as a fascist or a racist, or an idiot, otherwise, he would have used a different name.
    "Looked up to him"? Huh? You're making stuff up. Obama's paper was commenting on the 'American Dream' in the eyes of many in the U.S. ~ "the unfounded optimism of the average American" ~ and not expressing "hero worship" on his part. You're fabricating. You were called out for it before.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 04:37
    In a college paper, Barak Obama expressed some hero worship for Donald Trump because of his financial success stating that he wanted to be as successful as well as his children.
    Which words express "hero worship" on the part of Obama? Which words state that Obama wanted his children to follow in Trump's footsteps?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 08:23
    Originally posted by @wittywonka
    I know this is an anonymous forum and all, but I just want to add my name to the list of Christians who decidedly did/do/will NOT support the current president.

As to why so many Christians did/do/will, I agree with whodey--I think it's abortion specifically and the Supreme Court more broadly.

Personally I find it hard to imagine how anyone could w ...[text shortened]... they draw parallels to Nazi genocide without flinching, then I'm disappointed but not surprised.
    The 'Christian' support is mostly from 'American' Christians.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 10:39
    Originally posted by @wittywonka
    People are products of their surroundings. If Sunday school teachers, preachers, leading religious figures, and other church-going friends and family all say "This is how the Bible should be interpreted," without regard for historical context, and without regard for nuances in translation, and without regard for other Bible verses that directly contradic ...[text shortened]... erpretations, then of course that's the mindset that "rank-and-file" Christians will adopt, too.
    A very secular view of the church you have.
  6. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 21:521 edit
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    A very secular view of the church you have.
    Why does my criticism of many (certainly not all) churches for the way they read the Bible without regard for historical context, translational accuracy, or theological nuance lead you to believe that I have a "secular" view of the Church?
  7. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 02:11
    The choice Christians had were (a) Vote for a scoundrel with some policies we support, or (b) vote for a scoundrel who is openly hostile to anything Christian.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 04:04
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    The choice Christians had were (a) Vote for a scoundrel with some policies we support, or (b) vote for a scoundrel who is openly hostile to anything Christian.
    You recently described Barack Obama as a "lying, race-baiting, scumbag". Do you believe Donald Trump is a "lying, race-baiting, scumbag" as well?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 04:071 edit
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    The choice Christians had were (a) Vote for [Trump] a scoundrel with some policies we support...
    What are the policies of the incumbent "scoundrel" - apart from his SCOTUS appointments - that Christians support as a result of their Christian principles?
  10. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 04:31
    @fmf said
    You recently described Barack Obama as a "lying, race-baiting, scumbag". Do you believe Donald Trump is a "lying, race-baiting, scumbag" as well?
    That's pretty close. But again, it's the lesser of 2 evils.
  11. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 04:43
    @fmf said
    What are the policies of the incumbent "scoundrel" - apart from his SCOTUS appointments - that Christians support as a result of their Christian principles?
    Most Conservative Christians see some level of value in Trump's positions on

Abortion
    The LGBTQP agenda and special interest groups
    Tax rates
    Strong borders
    The threat of radical Islam
    The size of government and government intervention in our personal lives
    The need to diminish the power and presence of career status quo crony politicans (a.k.a. "the swamp"😉
    The job market and opportunity for personal success
    Personal liberty
    Certain international and diplomatic policies
    Country and citizens first
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 05:14
    Just to be clear. Do you believe Donald Trump is a "lying, race-baiting, scumbag"?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 05:16
    @tom-wolsey said

Abortion
    Tax rates
    Strong borders
    The need to diminish the power and presence of career status quo crony politicans (a.k.a. "the swamp"😉
    The ...[text shortened]... success
    Personal liberty
    I am talking about how Christian principles might be said to underpin these stances and was not seeking a list of conservative positions.
  14. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 06:08
    @tom-wolsey said

Abortion
    Tax rates
    Strong borders
    The ...[text shortened]... success
    Personal liberty
    How can you say that he was the "lesser of two evils" and also list a dozen policy positions where you agree with him?
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 12:28
    @wittywonka said
    How can you say that he was the "lesser of two evils" and also list a dozen policy positions where you agree with him?
    Presumably in his mind those are what makes Trump the "lesser of two evils".

Earlier I wrote the following to which you agreed:
    <<As evidenced by the political climate in the US, "Christian values" have drifted so far from the values espoused by Christ so as to be antithetical to them.>>

The better question is, "What do those 'Conservative Christian' values have to do with the values espoused by Christ"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree