Christianity in my life

Christianity in my life

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
12 Jul 18
3 edits

I have Christians in my life in two ways.:

1. Family/Friends/community - A sister, a sister in law, two close family friends, others in my family and friend circles and those who I see less often and with whom I don't discuss faith. I have attended church services, memorials, weddings etc. and met congregants and ministers. Without exception, the ways I see these people show their faith is by their works in the community, congregation and family; seeing then sing and pray, etc.. My sister in law is a Witness, as are her daughters -- my nieces -- we get along fine. I expect that they all grapple with their faith from time to time, and celebrate it too, but I hear nothing from any of them that I would call proselytizing.

2. This forum and the people on it. . I don't need to describe it, just to say that I have met some with whom if I am not friends, I am at least friendly with, whom I appreciate.

I can't imagine the experience of Christianity I get from these two groups to be more different than they are.

Frankly, all things considered, I get more from my face to face interactions.than from those that are subject to the internet forum format, which IMO distorts both the content and the "mood" of my interactions. It's too much like a debate competition. The experience of Christianity I have in the face to face world seems, well, more Christian to me, and if I want to engage in arguments, practically all of them can be found, with fine pro and con arguments, on the Internet.

I'm beginning to think that my online experience of Christianity is not good for me, and I think this is true from both a Christian and a non-theistic point of view. I get into the making of points, tending toward the "winning" of points.

I'd like to hear other views along these lines as I consider what if any changes to make.

One thing I won't attempt, is to change this group.

F

Moves
12 Jul 18

Originally posted by @js357

1. Family/Friends/community [...]

2. This forum and the people on it. . I don't need to describe it. [...]

I can't imagine the experience of Christianity I get from these two groups to be more different than they are.
I concur about the difference between the two 'constituencies'; it applies to my life too.

F

Moves
12 Jul 18

I'm beginning to think that my online experience of Christianity is not good for me, and I think this is true from both a Christian and a non-theistic point of view. I get into the making of points, tending toward the "winning" of points. I'd like to hear other views along these lines as I consider what if any changes to make.
More focus on spirituality and/or philosophy and/or moral ideology in action, as it applies to real lives and real challenges ~ so, more attention to human nature and the human condition ~ would be welcome, and if it were at the expense of doctrinal dissections [and I am guilty of tagging along on that stuff too], that would be welcome too.

Moves
12 Jul 18

Originally posted by @fmf
More focus on spirituality and/or philosophy and/or moral ideology in action, as it applies to real lives and real challenges ~ so, more attention to human nature and the human condition ~ would be welcome, and if it were at the expense of doctrinal dissections [and I am guilty of tagging along on that stuff too], that would be welcome too.
At the end of my OP I said "One thing I won't attempt, is to change this group." So I take your comment with thanks, and will think of it as a suggestion for my own personal change.

One of the advantages of looking to one's face-to-face world for connection is that I can walk into a church, some anyway, introduce myself, and volunteer to work in the next rummage sale etc. That's where something like, as you say, having a focus on moral ideology in action, might be made to work...

F

Moves
12 Jul 18

One of the advantages of looking to one's face-to-face world for connection is that I can walk into a church, some anyway, introduce myself, and volunteer to work in the next rummage sale etc. That's where something like, as you say, having a focus on moral ideology in action, might be made to work...
I still work with the good people in my local church as they tackle various things ~ or at least I lend a hand, donate some of my time and skills ~ there was no real reason for me to stop doing that simply because I lost my belief in the Bible.

Planet Rain

Moves
12 Jul 18
1 edit

I agree with that. Christianity does not and should not have a monopoly on spirituality. Indeed, all the world's religions taken together do not encompass even a small fraction of the spiritual universe, for which I am eternally grateful.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
12 Jul 18

1. Family/Friends/community - A sister, a sister in law, two close family friends, others in my family and friend circles and those who I see less often and with whom I don't discuss faith. I have attended church services, memorials, weddings etc. and met congregants and ministers. Without exception, the ways I se ...[text shortened]... s I consider what if any changes to make.

You are just stating the obvious. Online relationships, discussions interaction is not the same as physical face to face ones

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Jul 18

1. Family/Friends/community - A sister, a sister in law, two close family friends, others in my family and friend circles and those who I see less often and with whom I don't discuss faith. I have attended church services, memorials, weddings etc. and met congregants and ministers. Without exception, the ways I se ...[text shortened]... s I consider what if any changes to make.

Stop looking at Christians and look at Christ, Jesus is the standard not any of us!

F

Moves
12 Jul 18

Originally posted by @kellyjay
Stop looking at Christians and look at Christ, Jesus is the standard not any of us!
JS357 is an atheist, KellyJay.

E

Moves
12 Jul 18

Why do you limit your observations to Christians. What you say is true for all people you bigot.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 Jul 18

Originally posted by @eladar
Why do you limit your observations to Christians. What you say is true for all people you bigot.
How do you balance your constant name calling with Ephesians 4:29:

'Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.'

Doesn't it apply to you fopdoodle?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Jul 18

I do so admire people who are sensitive to cultural diversity so as not to be too dogmatic but rather tolerant and never "proselytizing" others - respectful of differing views.

Of course some of them just never had anything significant enough to be worth telling others.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Jul 18

JS357 is an atheist, KellyJay.
So what? The truth about Christianity is not the sinners in the faith, but the God who saves. Why would it be any other way, since God is who He is and we are who we are?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
12 Jul 18

Originally posted by @kellyjay
So what? The truth about Christianity is not the sinners in the faith, but the God who saves. Why would it be any other way, since God is who He is and we are who we are?
Apparently your version of God saves only Christians.

The real God of Israel has provided salvation for all people by the death of Christ so that whosoever follows His commandments will have eternal life.

E

Moves
12 Jul 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
How do you balance your constant name calling with Ephesians 4:29:

'Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.'

Doesn't it apply to you fopdoodle?
How is pointing out the bigot unwholesome?

I suppose you see it as such because you are blind.