1. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 15:20
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Following your "logic", why have the Qur'an and other similar religious texts which preach, what you would consider false doctrin, not been destroyed?

Did God miss those texts or are they somehow the "truth" as well?
    Excellent, Skip. Well, dj2? What about that?
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 16:102 edits
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Following your "logic", why have the Qur'an and other similar religious texts which preach, what you would consider false doctrin, not been destroyed?

Did God miss those texts or are they somehow the "truth" as well?

TheSkipper
    Who'd care to destroy false religious texts? No one ever tried to destroy them. It's the Truth that people hate. Did you ever have Korans burnt and banned from countries? Did you ever have Muslims burnt at the stake? Did you ever have Muslims martyred to forsake their faith?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 16:16
    Originally posted by David C
    "Dead idols"? Hardly. Allah is alive and well and glory be to him, if you ask any Muslim. If you meant "discounted by dj2 because it means I might have to consider David C's question", then fine.

Why are you pulling your security blanket over your head?
    Well did Allah raise Mohammed from the dead? Go to Mohammed's grave. You can dig up his bones. There is no reason that I know of to presume that Allah is alive. I have not heard of any of Allah's prophets raising people from the dead and healing the sick.
  4. Gangster Land
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 16:22
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Who'd care to destroy false religious texts? No one ever tried to destroy them. It's the Truth that people hate. Did you ever have Korans burnt and banned from countries? Did you ever have Muslims burnt at the stake? Did you ever have Muslims martyred to forsake their faith?
    So, the Qur'an has not been destroyed because it is not the truth and the Bible has not been destroyed because it is the truth?

Are you even attempting to make sense at this point?

TheSkipper
  5. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 17:20
    You've chosen the right religion? Given the evidence that the xtian bible has been co-opted, re-written and based on earlier religious texts and promulgated by men seeking to hegemonize power throughout its' infancy...what happens if, on that day, you find out that you've been worshipping the wrong god and must reject "Jesus" in order to fulfill your entry into Heaven? Would you do it?
    The evidents is that the Bible has been preserved of thousands of years, has hardly been changed in any significant way, was not based on any prior religious text, and was inspired by God. The Bible is amazingly consistent and sound in it's teaching despite being copied over and over and translated into thousands of languages.
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 17:35
    I have not heard of any of Allah's prophets raising people from the dead and healing the sick.
    Jesus is considered a prophet of Allah. So, you have just stated that Jesus did not perform any of the acts you described. How does that make you feel?
  7. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 17:42
    Originally posted by Coletti
    The evidents is that the Bible has been preserved of thousands of years, has hardly been changed in any significant way, was not based on any prior religious text, and was inspired by God. The Bible is amazingly consistent and sound in it's teaching despite being copied over and over and translated into thousands of languages.
    The Egytptian Funeral Texts have been preserved more than twice as long, and are also unchanged. The bible is indeed based on earlier religious works, such as those found on ancient Sumerian tablets. If this is an attempt at diversion, it is understandable. I notice you've avoided answering the question...does it make you that uncomfortable?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 18:06
    Jesus is considered a prophet of Allah. So, you have just stated that Jesus did not perform any of the acts you described. How does that make you feel?
    Do you have any evidence to suggest that the Koran is historically accurate?
  9. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 18:26
    The Egytptian Funeral Texts have been preserved more than twice as long, and are also unchanged. The bible is indeed based on earlier religious works, such as those found on ancient Sumerian tablets. If this is an attempt at diversion, it is understandable. I notice you've avoided answering the question...does it make you that uncomfortable?
    The Bible is not based on prior texts. And the Egyptian Funeral Texts where not evidently inspired by God. In sum, I reject your vapid assertions, and you have given no reason why I should accept them.
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 21:342 edits
    Why have all the xtians so far been unable to answer a purely hypothetical question?

Is it really so hard to say, "If on judement day, I am shown to be wrong and have been worshipping a false god (as I believe so many other people do), then I would admit my mistake before the true god, upon discovering it, and enter heaven rather than suffer in eternal agony,"?

I know I'd confess to being wrong in that situation, and as an atheist I have just as much reason as xtians to reject the possibility such a hypothetical occuring. It's very telling to me that these individuals can't even consider the question.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 21:581 edit
    The Bible is not based on prior texts. And the Egyptian Funeral Texts where not evidently inspired by God. In sum, I reject your vapid assertions, and you have given no reason why I should accept them.
    LMFAO! Prior religious texts claimed, just like the Bible, that they were the direct Word of God. Some of these texts, Egyptian, Indian, Sumerian existed for a thousand years or more before even the writing that eventually came to be the OT. Your post is like a child saying he's going to hold his breath till he turns blue when faced with unpleasant (to him) facts. Stop making such ridiculous assertions like the Bible is anything more than an ancient religious text like many other peoples had; you just look foolish by doing so. Is the Bible based in part on the Jewish Torah?
  12. London
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 22:28
    Originally posted by telerion
    Why have all the xtians so far been unable to answer a purely hypothetical question?

Is it really so hard to say, "If on judement day, I am shown to be wrong and have been worshipping a false god (as I believe so many other people do), then I would admit my mistake before the true god, upon discovering it, and enter heaven rather than suffer in eternal ...[text shortened]... al occuring. It's very telling to me that these individuals can't even consider the question.
    I thought the answer would be rather obvious - no person (Christian or otherwise) on this forum would answer in the negative.
  13. An airport near you
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 22:36
    This is probably the most worrying post I have come across on the entire site, and that includes the creationist 'debates'. DJ, do you have ANY knowledge of history at all? Even if you don't understand anything about Islamic history, you seem to also be denying that anyone has persecuted any non-Christian religions here - I'd refer you to Christian Europe between 1400 and 1945 maybe?
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 23:42
    Frogstomp often refers to a Bull God named El who was the inspiration for the Bible. How are you so sure the Bible is not based on prior religious texts?

the Egyptian Funeral Texts where not evidently inspired by God.

Why is that 'evident'?
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    22 Jun '05 02:46
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I thought the answer would be rather obvious - no person (Christian or otherwise) on this forum would answer in the negative.
    Dam right! Me neither...um, I mean....😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree