1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 08:09
    Originally posted by flyUnity
    So when you say you are an weak atheist, does that mean your in a little doubt? if so, why?
    i am not sure what you mean by 'in doubt'. as a weak atheist, i do not believe in a god or gods, but i also do not make the claim that a god or gods necessarily do not exist. among other things, this means that i do not profess to know for certain whether or not god exists. but this does not mean that i have any doubt that my position is rational. does this answer your question?

2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    29 Jun '05 05:35
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    okay, i misunderstood. i do think it's an interesting question. as a weak atheist, i do not claim that god necessarily doesn't exist, just that it is not rational to believe that he does. if on the day i die, some god were to present himself and tell me that i had a choice between joining heaven or suffering for all eternity in hell, then it would be ...[text shortened]... sts and join heaven. such an event is, however, still compatible with my current belief system.
    I don't care what I believe in. If I'm given the chance to escape Hell and all I have to do is say, "Boy, looks like I really missed it back on Earth," then I'm taking my free ticket to heaven. Given my current views on the afterlife, this choice would be a welcome surprise.
  3. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Jun '05 05:41
    i am not sure what you mean by 'in doubt'. as a weak atheist, i do not believe in a god or gods, but i also do not make the claim that a god or gods necessarily do not exist. among other things, this means that i do not profess to know for certain whether or not god exists. but this does not mean that i have any doubt that my position is rational. does this answer your question?

Yes, Thankyou
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '05 07:31
    Originally posted by telerion
    I don't care what I believe in. If I'm given the chance to escape Hell and all I have to do is say, "Boy, looks like I really missed it back on Earth," then I'm taking my free ticket to heaven. Given my current views on the afterlife, this choice would be a welcome surprise.
    i agree, as i think this position is sound. regardless of one's views or background, the answer to the question of this thread is as obvious as you imply.
  5. Joined
    30 Jun '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '05 22:10
    Originally posted by David C
    You've chosen the right religion? Given the evidence that the xtian bible has been co-opted, re-written and based on earlier religious texts and promulgated by men seeking to hegemonize power throughout its' infancy...what happens if, on that day, you find out that you've been worshipping the wrong god and must reject "Jesus" in order to fulfill your entry into Heaven? Would you do it?
    you know what? He's right. the vadican hides many a "sacred text" from not only the cathlic church, but from all people in genral. do you seriously belive the bible holds any of what it origionally did? NO, PEOPLE, NO.
  6. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '05 23:00
    Originally posted by telerion
    Hey Tel,

Nothing is more obvious than one's opting for heaven if given the chance! The next most obvious thing to do is to go ahead and opt in right now!

2 Corinthians 6:2
    For he says, "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you." [ Isaiah 49:8] I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation.

We must accept the conditions of heaven's gatekeeper (not Peter; Jesus said that He is the door, and we must pass through Him), and He has told us in Hebrews 9:27
    ]b]Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment.[/b]

So.....why not take the 'free ticket to heaven' right now buddy? I'd like to see you there! (Maybe you can sit down with my son there and get more than a draw out of him!)

7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jul '05 23:11

What is the difference between your view of 'weak atheist' and
    that of an ‘agnostic’ in your opinion?
    Kelly
  8. London
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 00:56
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What is the difference between your view of 'weak atheist' and
    that of an ‘agnostic’ in your opinion?
    Kelly
    I believe a "weak atheist" is one who does not believe in the existence of God (although he won't go as far as saying that God does not exist). An "agnostic" is one who says that we can never know (for certain) that God exists. So, one could be an agnostic theist.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 02:34
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I believe a "weak atheist" is one who does not believe in the existence of God (although he won't go as far as saying that God does not exist). An "agnostic" is one who says that we can never know (for certain) that God exists. So, one could be an agnostic theist.
    I can live with that, I wasn't sure about the differences before thanks.
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 11:54
    So is a Christian who only goes to church at Christmas and Easter, swears too much and says OMG twenty times a day a weak Christian?
    Dan
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 12:01
    Good point Dan. Are there various levels in heaven for those that may have put in a bit more effort, surely they deserve a more comfy bed, maybe some AC, and a high speed connection, while those that did the last minute "I believe" thing should have more basic ammenities.
  12. Standard membermochiron
    The Don
    Nihon
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 18:01
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Good point Dan. Are there various levels in heaven for those that may have put in a bit more effort, surely they deserve a more comfy bed, maybe some AC, and a high speed connection, while those that did the last minute "I believe" thing should have more basic ammenities.
    KellyJay....not to stamp on your holy ground. I am late to this debate. If you want a stong athiest...I will try that angle...but how do you define an athiest? one who does not believe in a Suprieme Being? One who does not believe in teh Concept of a supreme being? And as for your Final Judgement day proclamations...no Offence but I find the Bible and the Koran weak. I mean people can barely rembember what they did a moht ago...but I am suppose to believe what someone wrote down more than a thousand to two thousand years ago is the exact words that were spoken... by said prophet or said Messaih? yeah rite! no thanx I will take Shintoism any day over Christianity or Islam.... and I am not Japanese...but I do live in Japan.
  13. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 20:21
    Cheers W
    I'll throw in another spanner
    Can an athiest be Christian?
    A Christian believes in the immaculate conception, Jesus lived, died and was resurrected as the saviour.
    What if an athiest also doesn't believe in these things but follows Jesus' commandment to to do right etc. Jesus didn't discriminate who he did good for..

Dan
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 01:30
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    So is a Christian who only goes to church at Christmas and Easter, swears too much and says OMG twenty times a day a weak Christian?
    Dan
    I do not believe Christianity uses words like weak and strong in
    that one can hold some views and be weak and if they accept
    more views they are stronger; however, along those lines scripture
    does teach about maturity levels among the those within the
    body of Christ. Such as Eph 4:12-16

“…so that the body of Christ may be built up 13until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
    14Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. . 15Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. 16From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work."

Kelly
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 01:34
    I'm not sure where you got this various levels of heaven from, can
    you support this from scripture or is this some belief non-Christian.
    I accept only one thing that I'm aware of that is scriptural, and that
    is do you know Jesus or not? You may be more mature or less than
    the next guy, but you both would be saved the same way that being
    through the blood of Jesus Christ. It isn't a matter of earning a
    higher place in heaven, though it is better to get to know God better
    here. It grounds you for the storms of life that are sure to come.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree