1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Sep '17 08:42
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Reported rapes in USA, UK and NZ are all about 3-4 per million of population.

Guns don't seem to matter do they?
    That should be 3 - 4 hundred per million of population. 😞
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Sep '17 08:46
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    US Christians seem to think like no other Christians I've ever met.
    You are right there.
    Or at least US Christians on the internet are a weird bunch.

I've Christian friends in UK and NZ,
    have foster children saying Grace at my table,
    do what I can in my community.

But on the Spirituality forum I seem to be one of the Sons of Satan!

And they are happy to kill someone in their home!
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '17 09:05
    You are right there.
    Or at least US Christians on the internet are a weird bunch.

I've Christian friends in UK and NZ,
    have foster children saying Grace at my table,
    do what I can in my community.

But on the Spirituality forum I seem to be one of the Sons of Satan!

And they are happy to kill someone in their home!
    I've been called the most horrible things imaginable for a Christian to be called, by other Christians on this forum. Just because we disagree about stuff. It's extraordinary.

And yet generally it is they who exhibit negative characteristics: Paranoid, right-wing, dogmatic, hard-nosed, grudge-bearing, sour, angry, vengeful, entitled.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '17 09:07
    The idea that it is ok to kill someone if they break into your home is a typical American knee-jerk philosophy, also seen with the rhetoric Trump uses to threaten North Korea.
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    22 Sep '17 09:33
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    I am an American, and this country is full of people who love both Jesus and Guns. I suppose I find that a little bit odd, given the overall pacific nature of Jesus' teachings.

I suppose target practice is harmless enough. I admit that I both own guns and yet do not consider myself a violent person.

But my neighbor's door recently got kicked in ...[text shortened]... re-lived the shooting again and again. I fear that final face of the dead person would haunt me.
    This atheist scarab does not see it this way.
    It is disgusting to even think to empty your 12-gauge to an intruder, but it is unskillful to permit the rape and the murder of the ones you love. Facing any kind of unprovoked murderous attack in my home, I would help on the spot my attacker's spirit to break free from its shell, feeling deep compassion for the death of that sentient being. Then I would conduct extreme ownership and face the consequences in full.
    😵
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '17 09:49
    Originally posted by @black-beetle
    This atheist scarab does not see it this way.
    It is disgusting to even think to empty your 12-gauge to an intruder, but it is unskillful to permit the rape and the murder of the ones you love. Facing any kind of unprovoked murderous attack in my home, I would help on the spot my attacker's spirit to break free from its shell, feeling deep compassion f ...[text shortened]... at sentient being. Then I would conduct extreme ownership and face the consequences in full.
    😵
    I agree, it depends on the physical threat rather than mere fact someone has entered a premises unlawfully. I would have absolutely no compunction in ending someone if I thought they were a real threat to my family or indeed myself.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '17 00:55
    US Christians seem to think like no other Christians I've ever met.
    Yes. We like to think according to Biblical truth. Something you obviously have difficulty with.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '17 01:01
    Originally posted by @josephw
    Yes. We like to think according to Biblical truth. Something you obviously have difficulty with.
    What does "to think according to Biblical truth" mean exactly with regard to gun ownership and the right to kill?
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '17 01:01
    The idea that it is ok to kill someone if they break into your home is a typical American knee-jerk philosophy, also seen with the rhetoric Trump uses to threaten North Korea.
    It's called the Castle Doctrine. Shoot first. Ask questions later.

A criminal breaks into your home they risk the consequences. If North Korea launches a strike against the U.S. they will be annihilated.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '17 01:05
    Originally posted by @fmf
    What does "to think according to Biblical truth" mean exactly with regard to gun ownership and the right to kill?
    You wouldn't understand.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Sep '17 01:081 edit
    It's called the Castle Doctrine. Shoot first. Ask questions later.

A criminal breaks into your home they risk the consequences. If North Korea launches a strike against the U.S. they will be annihilated.
    I sometimes wish this god stuff was real so that you could experience banging on the
    Pearly Gates of Heaven while us decent non-believers are all inside playing jazz-harps.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '17 01:09
    You wouldn't understand.
    Give it a try. It's the thread topic. For instance, are avowedly non-violent/anti-violence, pacifist, non-gun owner Christians [like Jehovah's Witnesses for example] in some way failing "to think according to Biblical truth" with regard to gun ownership and the right to kill?
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '17 01:11
    I agree, it depends on the physical threat rather than mere fact someone has entered a premises unlawfully. I would have absolutely no compunction in ending someone if I thought they were a real threat to my family or indeed myself.
    They broke into your home. Opening a dialogue with the assailant and hesitating may cost you and your family's life.

A criminal breaks into your home they assume the risk they may be killed. That makes them a very dangerous person.
  14. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    23 Sep '17 01:15
    So killing someone who is attempting to steal your tv is ok?
    That's not what I said.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '17 01:15
    They broke into your home. Opening a dialogue with the assailant and hesitating may cost you and your family's life.

A criminal breaks into your home they assume the risk they may be killed. That makes them a very dangerous person.
    I can understand the argument justifying this, but I am interested in what bearing your notion of "Biblical truth" has on it, or how "Biblical truth" applies to someone who disagrees. What I want to know is how is there any religious or specifically Biblical/Christian angle to the assertion of the right to use lethal force in self-defence?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree