1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Apr '18 01:04
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Your issue is unbelief, which renders your recognition of Jesus' description of Himself in Matthew 11:29 as autobiographical inoperative.
    Pssssssst...

Biography is something one writes about somebody else.

Autobiography is something one writes about oneself.

So, technically, Matthew is biographical, not autobiographical, even though it contains quotes. Matthew wrote what Jesus said, Jesus did not write Matthew.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '18 01:14
    Your issue is unbelief, which renders your recognition of Jesus' description of Himself in Matthew 11:29 as autobiographical inoperative.
    Nope. I don't have any issue with the fact that I am not a Christian, nor - indeed - with the fact that you are one. You have simply misused the word "autobiographical". Jesus famously did not write a single word - that we know of - about himself.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Apr '18 01:181 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Pssssssst...

So, technically, Matthew is biographical, not autobiographical, even though it contains quotes. Matthew wrote what Jesus said, Jesus did not write Matthew.
    That’s a really great point, suzianne. Two thumbs up
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    02 Apr '18 10:46
    Pssssssst...

Psssssssst...

This is what I wrote. "It's interesting that verse 29 of Matthew 11 is the only place in the synoptic gospels where Jesus makes a personal autobiographical description of Himself."

I did not say Jesus wrote it. I said, "Jesus makes a personal autobiographical description of Himself."

Matthew recorded what Jesus said. What Jesus said about Himself was autobiographical because it wasn't Matthew saying it about Jesus.
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    02 Apr '18 10:55
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Nope. I don't have any issue with the fact that I am not a Christian, nor - indeed - with the fact that you are one. You have simply misused the word "autobiographical". Jesus famously did not write a single word - that we know of - about himself.
    You have issues with reading comprehension too.

I did not say Jesus wrote it. Matthew recorded what Jesus said about Himself.

Jesus' description of Himself is autobiographical because it is He Himself giving the description of Himself, which Matthew recorded.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 Apr '18 11:58
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    That’s a really great point, suzianne. Two thumbs up
    But for that you would need 2 accounts.....

😵
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Apr '18 13:08
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

😵
    Touche. 😵
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Apr '18 17:47
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

😵
    Anyone who grew up in America in the 1970s would get that reference to the sitcom “Happy Days” and Arthur “Fonzie” Fonzarelli.

The earlier episodes rock.

Heeeeeyyyyyyy!
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '18 18:011 edit
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Anyone who grew up in America in the 1970s would get that reference to the sitcom “Happy Days” and Arthur “Fonzie” Fonzarelli.

The earlier episodes rock.

Heeeeeyyyyyyy!
    Actually the phrase "two thumbs up" had its origins in Siskel and Ebert.

YouTube
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Apr '18 21:161 edit
    'The forum' knows exactly what I'm talking about. You're apparently the only one that doesn't. So your calling a poster out for 'ignorance' is, indeed, the height of irony.
    Please tell me the irony, where have I been ignorant ?
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Apr '18 21:20
    Don't be ignorant.

Ya getting it yet?
    Getting what? That you think I'm ignorant ?

How so?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Apr '18 23:42
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Getting what? That you think I'm ignorant ?

How so?
    Consult a dictionary if you still don't get it.

I'm not your schoolmarm.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Apr '18 23:47
    Psssssssst...

This is what I wrote. "It's interesting that verse 29 of Matthew 11 is the only place in the synoptic gospels where Jesus makes a personal autobiographical description of Himself."

I did not say Jesus wrote it. I said, "Jesus makes a personal autobiographical description of Himself."

Matthew recorded what Jesus said. What Jesus said about Himself was autobiographical because it wasn't Matthew saying it about Jesus.
    But Matthew did the writing.

One cannot make a "biographical" comment because look at the word, it literally means "writing about [someone's] life".

Matthew wrote about Jesus, therefore it is "biographical". As far as I know, Jesus wrote nothing.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Apr '18 23:59
    But Matthew did the writing.

One cannot make a "biographical" comment because look at the word, it literally means "writing about [someone's] life".

Matthew wrote about Jesus, therefore it is "biographical". As far as I know, Jesus wrote nothing.
    Some think Jesus may have written Hebrews. Not saying I agree with that, but that school of thought exists.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '18 00:02
    The Epistle to the Hebrews is perfectly written at the highest intellectual level, and yet its authorship is a complete mystery. Not even modern, sophisticated analysis of authorship can suggest a plausible writer for this great work. Whoever wrote this apparently wrote virtually nothing else. Scholars agree that Paul certainly did not write this.

It was written after the Passion of Christ, as made clear by its references in the past tense to Jesus's work, yet before the destruction of Jerusalem in A.D. 70.

In contrast with all other epistles and letters in the New Testament, it is misnomer to call this the "Epistle" to the Hebrews. It is not a letter; there is no introduction, and it reads like a sermon. Nor was it formally addressed to the "Hebrews"; its teachings are for all.

Continued at:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Mystery😀id_Jesus_Write_the_Epistle_to_the_Hebrews%3F

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree