Doubt

Doubt

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Sep 18

Originally posted by @chaney3
The Bible is NOT at all "clear" about most things, so please don't come across as arrogantly understanding all of it.

Your reply doesn't make sense, because you're attempting to brush under the carpet what is blatantly obvious: you say God loves the human race, in one sentence......then you follow that up with how God "eliminates" and "wipes out" those ...[text shortened]... thread is about doubt, and the Bible provides much material to work with to further such doubt.
What are you looking for? If we could give you certainty there would be no more faith.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
13 Sep 18

The Bible is NOT at all "clear" about most things, so please don't come across as arrogantly understanding all of it.

Your reply doesn't make sense, because you're attempting to brush under the carpet what is blatantly obvious: you say God loves the human race, in one sentence......then you follow that up with how God "eliminates" and "wipes out" those ...[text shortened]... thread is about doubt, and the Bible provides much material to work with to further such doubt.
God does not cease to love the human race if He eliminates those who threaten its existence. Are you finding yourself lamenting the death of people in the past whom you never knew and probably don't believe died at the hand of God anyway? Either you believe God has taken action in the past to preserve and protect humanity, or you don't believe God of the bible existed to take any action in the first place. If you believe the former, you shouldn't have much trouble believing that a true all-powerful Creator has good reason to do what He does. If you believe the latter, then your disapproval of God's actions is wasted energy and meaningless.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Sep 18

God is attempting to save the human race from its evil nature, but many prefer that to
God. God will not over rule you will by turning you into a robot, you are given the ability
to turn to God or not. We are told to strive to enter into the narrow gate, to go to Jesus
because Jesus is the door no one comes to the Father except through Him. The warnings
are clear, it isn't the parts you don't understand that matter now, it is the points that you
do, because those will be the ones without a doubt you are accountable for, because you
know and you choose. Help from God is available to those that ask and seek it.

T

Moves
13 Sep 18
3 edits

The hypocrisy and double standards of the positions of the likes of TW and KJ stem from their inability to be honest with themselves and therefore others in how they use the Bible to determine "the will of God" so to speak.

This is true of everyone who claims that on the whole the Bible is sound, coherent and the "inerrant word of God". They use the Bible to create a god that serves themselves rather than the other way around. This view and approach are especially dangerous in those who use the Bible as a weapon to further bigotry - be it racism, misogyny, homophobia or what have you.

No wonder you have doubts. Any rational person would.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Sep 18

Originally posted by @thinkofone
The hypocrisy and double standards of the positions of the likes of TW and KJ stem from their inability to be honest with themselves and therefore others in how they use the Bible to determine "the will of God" so to speak.

This is true of everyone who claims that on the whole the Bible is sound, coherent and the "inerrant word of God". They use the ...[text shortened]... misogyny, homophobia or what have you.

No wonder you have doubts. Any rational person would.
Trust you or the Bible, I am going with the Word not you!

T

Moves
13 Sep 18
3 edits

Originally posted by @kellyjay
Trust you or the Bible, I am going with the Word not you!
To his credit, chaney3 listens to what you and those like you say about "the Word" and can't get past the fact that it doesn't hold up under the light of truth.

The reality is that you're "going with" your interpretation of "the Word". More likely, you're mindlessly "going with" the dogma you've been taught about "the Word". It's reduced you to the very "robot" of which you speak.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Sep 18

To his credit, chaney3 listens to what you and those like you say about "the Word" and can't get past the fact that it doesn't hold up under the light of truth.

The reality is that you're "going with" your interpretation of "the Word". More likely, you're mindlessly "going with" the dogma you've been taught about "the Word". It's reduced you to the very "robot" of which you speak.
Well with all due respect anything you have to say about scriptural doctrine is meaningless to me. You don’t have a clue how to rightly divide the word, and yet you attempt to hold others accountable for some passages while ignoring others.

T

Moves
13 Sep 18
4 edits

Well with all due respect anything you have to say about scriptural doctrine is meaningless to me. You don’t have a clue how to rightly divide the word, and yet you attempt to hold others accountable for some passages while ignoring others.
You don’t have a clue how to rightly divide the word....

You've repeatedly shown that you believe that the way to "rightly divide the word" is according to the dogma that you have been taught and which you mindlessly follow. As such, I agree that I don't do that.

...yet you attempt to hold others accountable for some passages while ignoring others.

You disingenuously pretend that YOU don't "attempt to hold others accountable for some passages while ignoring others". You're such a hypocrite.

Unlike you, I'm don't mindlessly follow dogma and believe that on the whole the Bible is sound, coherent and the "inerrant word of God".

By and large, I find the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry to be reasonably sound and reasonably coherent within itself. I don't share that view of the mythology and beliefs that the NT writers wrapped around them. At best, they can merely echo His words. At worst, they deviate from His words and at times substantially so.  

The truth in the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry still rings out loud and clear despite the corruptions that were introduced by the NT writers. The core of His gospel are contained in the parables, explanations of the parables, the Sermon on the Mount, passages where Jesus is explicitly describing the Kingdom and what living in the Kingdom entails, passages where Jesus is explicitly describing what is required for "eternal life" / living in the Kingdom etc. In short, passages where Jesus is explicitly preaching the vision of His gospel.  

By limiting the Bible to the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry and those words that are consistent with those words, most of the inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions are weeded out.

John 12 
46 “I have come as Light into the world, so that everyone who believes in Me will not remain in darkness. 
50 “I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me.” 
48 “He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day. 

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
14 Sep 18
1 edit

[b]You don’t have a clue how to rightly divide the word....

You've repeatedly shown that you believe that the way to "rightly divide the word" is according to the dogma that you have been taught and which you mindlessly follow. As such, I agree that I don't do that.

...yet you attempt to hold others accountable for some passages while ignor ...[text shortened]... ve My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day. 
The parts you don't understand and like are weeded out when you dismiss those parts.
The difference between us is I can accept it is completely possible that the truth may have
parts in it I dislike, but that doesn't change truth into a lie, my opinion isn't that important
and neither is yours.

T

Moves
14 Sep 18
1 edit

The parts you don't understand and like are weeded out when you dismiss those parts.
The difference between us is I can accept it is completely possible that the truth may have
parts in it I dislike, but that doesn't change truth into a lie, my opinion isn't that important
and neither is yours.
The truth is that you dismiss the parts that don't fit the dogma that you've been taught.

"The difference between us" is that you are so disingenuous and hypocritical about it.

Seems that chaney3 is well aware of the disingenuousness and the hypocrisy.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
14 Sep 18

The truth is that you dismiss the parts that don't fit the dogma that you've been taught.

"The difference between us" is that you are so disingenuous and hypocritical about it.

Seems that chaney3 is well aware of the disingenuousness and the hypocrisy.
What cheney3 thinks, he thinks, I'm not going to speak for him one way or another.

With respect to what you have said, what parts of the scripture do you think I've
dismissed? Is it just I don't agree with your interpretation of specific text, or you think I've
actually dismissed text as not true? Please be specific on what I've dismissed if you can.

Can you enlighten me on what you reject when it comes to scripture? Is it all of the
writing by Paul, some of his writing, or something else? Do you accept everything that
Jesus says, or do you just accept a small portion of His words? Do you believe that Jesus
is the Son of man, the Son of God, God?

Moves
14 Sep 18
1 edit

You're such a hypocrite...........

Unlike you, I'm don't mindlessly follow dogma and believe that on the whole the Bible is sound, coherent and the "inerrant word of God".....

By and large, I find the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry to be reasonably sound and reasonably coherent within itself......

50 “I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me.” 
Here you are calling people hypocrites and disingenuous; here you are talking about the words and ministry of Jesus; here you are quoting jesus talking about the “Father”.

And you refuse to answer this simple question about this “Father” you quote:

When Jesus was on earth, during his ministry, and thinking about the words he used...when he claimed to be sent by God, was he correct?

Oh, and who’s the hypocrite?

P

Moves
14 Sep 18

There are times when I think that some or most of the Bible stories are just too far fetched to be really true.

God is angry, jealous, and vengeful in the OT, regarding the humans that HE created.

Having to sacrifice and kill a human (Jesus) to save mankind seems unreasonable at times, especially when this sacrifice will only benefit a small percentag ...[text shortened]... fferent than believing in the one(s) given us in the Bible.

Just sharing, in a time of doubt.
it is really unfortunate that the
christians in todays world have lost thier way. They have forgotten, they are the servants of humanity as well as the stewarts.

they have allowed themselves to be deceived. so please forgive them.

This is the truth, all who love from their hearts have Christ in them already. It matters not who or what you are, even if you be an atheist. If love lives in you, so does God

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
14 Sep 18

Originally posted by @pudgenik
it is really unfortunate that the
christians in todays world have lost thier way. They have forgotten, they are the servants of humanity as well as the stewarts.

they have allowed themselves to be deceived. so please forgive them.

This is the truth, all who love from their hearts have Christ in them already. It matters not who or what you are, even if you be an atheist. If love lives in you, so does God
Where did this doctrine come from? You make it up, or do you have a source that should be acceptable?

P

Moves
14 Sep 18

Where did this doctrine come from? You make it up, or do you have a source that should be acceptable?
Christians have become their own worst enemy, always seeking proof, and not living in faith.
Where has your faith gone. Tell me, what place in the scripture did the Jews go to, to confirm it was of God when they were in the desert for 40 yrs