1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 05:13
    Do you believe there is any evidence for God?

I'm not asking for evidence, I just want to know if anything is acceptable
    to you!
    Kelly
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 06:30
    Originally posted by KellyJay

to you!
    Kelly
    I accept the the heavens and the Earth, the Holy Bible, Christ Jesus, and the existence of mankind as evidences for God, to name just a few.

The Instructor
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 07:202 edits
    Kelly,

Firstly, I accept Jesus Christ as evidence for the existence of God.

I accept the existence of the Bible as evidence.
    I accept the existence of the nation of Israel as evidence.

I also accept the creation as evidence.
    I think the evidence is accumulating as science advances.

Lastly, what was asked for was evidence rather than proof, as I am sure you agree.
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 08:552 edits
    Originally posted by sonship
    Kelly,

Firstly, I accept Jesus Christ as evidence for the existence of God.

I accept the existence of the Bible as evidence.
    I accept the existence of the nation of Israel as evidence.

I also accept the creation as evidence.
    I think the evidence is accumulating as science advances.

Lastly, what was asked for was [b]evidence
    rather than proof, as I am sure you agree.[/b]
    No, I believe there is, as a matter of fact, no evidence for god.

I would, however, accept evidence for god's existence if there were some.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 10:52

to you!
    Kelly
    Yes I believe there is evidence for the existence of God. And even more so, the existence for the only one true God there is.

It is only logical that if something exists there is evidence for it, just as there would be no evidence for something that does not exist.
  6. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 12:373 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    Yes I believe there is evidence for the existence of God. And even more so, the existence for the only one true God there is.

It is only logical that if something exists there is evidence for it, just as there would be no evidence for something that does not exist.
    I imagine you do.

And it will be the same 'evidence' that followers of the innumerable other gods believe demonstrates that their God is the one true God.

I mean, can you name one piece of 'evidence' that your God is the one true God which could not be claimed with equal validity by followers of another god?

If not, in what sense is it evidence?
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 12:462 edits
    Lastly, what was asked for was [b]evidence rather than proof, as I am sure you agree.[/b]
    I totally agree.

And I do not expect anyone to lay out exhaustively all the evidence that exists for why their god is the one true God.

I will happily settle for just one piece of 'evidence' that could not be claimed by followers of almost any other religion (with the appropriate modifications e.g. change "Bible" to "Qu'ran" etc).

Doesn't seem much of an ask.

Just one piece, any one you like.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 13:034 edits
    Rank Outsider,

I will happily settle for just one piece of 'evidence' that could not be claimed by followers of almost any other religion (with the appropriate modifications e.g. change "Bible" to "Qu'ran" etc).

This to me is an invitation for you to demonstrate to me something that I already know. That is the endless ability of man to use his mind to raise at least a reasonable doubt, a possible alternative explanation.

To me this TOO is evidence for God, and especially the Bible's God. That is that no evidence forces the human will to comply. Your will is not coerced to accept reasonable evidence.

This invitation of yours is to me a demonstration of will power more so than of reason. What you are eager to do is to show me that endlessly you can say -

"But you have not yet forced me to believe in the evidence for God's existence."

There is no need for you to demonstrate that whatever I propose you can imagine at least some arguable alternative explanation.
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 13:14
    Rank Outsider,

This to me is an invitation for you to demonstrate to ...[text shortened]... /b] I propose you can imagine at least [b]some
    arguable alternative explanation.[/b]
    No, I promise you that if you can provide me with just one piece of evidence that could not be claimed with equal validity by followers of another religion, I would consider my question answered and would pursue the matter no further.

We agreed that we were not looking for proof, just evidence, and I will be content if you can provide a single piece on the terms I stated.
  10. Joined
    15 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 13:15
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    No, I believe there is, as a matter of fact, no evidence for god.

I would, however, accept evidence for god's existence if there were some.
    I accept the fulfilled prophecy of the Bible as evidence of God.
  11. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 13:24
    Originally posted by Galilee
    I accept the fulfilled prophecy of the Bible as evidence of God.
    I do not know whether you have read down further, but don't you think that other religions believe that their prophesies have been fulfilled?

So it is not evidence, unless you can show some way to distinguish between the Bible's prophecies and the prophecies of other religions.

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/347/

The fulfillment of the various prophecies in the Quran is a clear proof that it is from a Divine source.
  12. Joined
    15 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 13:38
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I do not know whether you have read down further, but don't you think that other religions believe that their prophesies have been fulfilled?

So it is not evidence, unless you can show some way to distinguish between the Bible's prophecies and the prophecies of other religions.

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/347/

The fulfillment ...[text shortened]... the various prophecies in the Quran is a clear proof that it is from a Divine source.
    Here's an example from link you sent:

The Ease of Memorizing the Quran
    God has made the Quran easy to memorize:

“And in truth We have made the Quran easy to remember; who, then, is willing to take it to heart?” (Quran 54:17)

Easily memorizing the Quran is a fulfilled prophecy? Sorry if I laugh.

Try the specific day the King would come to Jerusalem ... written hundreds of years before. Try the specific way Christ would die on the cross ... a manner of death not even invented at the time the prophecy was written. There are many more examples. None are so ridiculus as the prophecy of being easy to memorize.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 13:46

to you!
    Kelly
    Yes, creation, the bible, Israel and the manifestations of the spirit.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 14:00

to you!
    Kelly
    no, only faith
  15. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 14:043 edits
    Originally posted by Galilee
    Here's an example from link you sent:

The Ease of Memorizing the Quran
    God has made the Quran easy to memorize:

“And in truth We have made the Quran easy to remember; who, then, is willing to take it to heart?” (Quran 54:17)

Easily memorizing the Quran is a fulfilled prophecy? Sorry if I laugh.

Try the specific day the King would come to Jerusa ...[text shortened]... There are many more examples. None are so ridiculus as the prophecy of being easy to memorize.
    Well, trust me, I have seen Christians on this forum argue the prophetic nature of the Bible over much sillier things. But be that as it may.

Fair enough, you have given me an example of evidence. Before I accept it, can you confirm:

1 Where is the prophesy that Christ would die on the cross, when was it written and by whom?

2 Please quote the prophesy.

3 When was Christ killed on the cross?

4 Where is the evidence that this actually happened? If you are relying on a written account, when was it written and by whom?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree