1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 00:03
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I fully realize that some believers walk with their creator in faith and obedience, but an astounding number do vote Republican. Do you deny this?
    No, but they vote for other parties too, again you have a point here?
    Kelly
  2. weedhopper
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 01:531 edit
    [how can anyone calling herself (or himself) a Christian, vote for Republicans? Why vote at all?[/b]
    Because Christians do not check their brains at the door of the voting booth.
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 02:02
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    [too easy]

Of course not, they left them in the vestibule of the church.

[/too easy]
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 02:18
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I reject all parties as worthy as I said I thought it an insult to say
    one was. You stressing your views on how bad the Republican party
    was only agreed with my point! We as a people are not worthy of God
    due to our sin nature, so our groups, no matter what they are, and
    what we claim they stand for will not be God worthy.
    Kelly
    God is a left wing god. But his left-winginess transcends all left wing parties. It is a perfect left-winginess. It is a post-scarcity left-winginess. If you know what I mean.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 04:181 edit
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Brains are not library books. If you're not already using it to capacity, checking one at the voting booth is too late.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 13:55
    Originally posted by rwingett
    God is a left wing god. But his left-winginess transcends all left wing parties. It is a perfect left-winginess. It is a post-scarcity left-winginess. If you know what I mean.
    No, God is a God of truth and justice as such you'll see left and right
    wing *so called* ideas coming from God out of scripture. If I can say
    God transcends all left wing winginess I can also say he does the
    same with all right wing winginess. To again suggest God cares one
    wit about our labels or L/Riness is silly. God is more of a plumb line
    of truth that nether leans right or left but is a beacon of truth, He is
    a solid foundation that does not change. Do not fool yourself thinking
    God is on your parties side, He is not, neither is He on the parties
    side you dislike.
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 13:58
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Take a deep breath and think about it.

There is no claim of anything being "God worthy". No matter how much you insist there was, there just wasn't.

It seems this is likely a case analogous to someone going to a restaurant that serves chili and stew. The individual declares he doesn't like the chili and you start ranting about how they like stew. It ...[text shortened]... opposed. Is this what you're supporting?

Like I said, take a deep breath and think.
    "If the Spirit of God fills believers, why do they vote Republican?"

I took this question as suggesting that the Spirit of God lead people to
    vote for Republican. Which I said was an insult to God, and I would
    have said the samething had he said God led people to vote for the
    Democrats as well.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 14:15

Democrats as well.
    Kelly
    Let me rephrase the question:

Assuming that the Spirit of God causes believers to despise unrighteousness, how can they embrace, and enthusiastically proclaim in their churches the wisdom of this embrace, the party that kowtows to the insurance and pharmaceutical lobby's efforts to derail genuine health care improvements for our nation's working poor? How can they enthusiastically embrace a Holy War fought for access to oil? How can they make proposing a flat tax an article of faith?

It seems to me that Republicans should have a harder sell to those that love righteousness, yet American history through the past three decades reveal the opposite to be the case. Why do Republicans have such an easy time attracting self-proclaimed Christians?

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
    Matthew 7: 21-23

How do we know who is among the Elect, or should we leave such questions to God? Should we be skeptical of all that claim the name of Jesus, especially if they are enthusiastic Republicans?
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 17:26

Democrats as well.
    Kelly
    It doesn't seem you took it correctly.

Like I said earlier:
    "I'd guess that what he is questioning how anyone could both be filled with the "Spirit of God" and support the platform of the Republican party."

I don't see this as necessarily Republican vs. Democrat, rather as righteousness and the Republican party being irreconcilable.
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 20:47
    Brains are not library books. If you're not already using it to capacity, checking one at the voting booth is too late.
    The Voting preferences of a group of people who happen to vote primarily republican in no way makes them "less Christian." Any data gleaned from 2 such diverse pools is VAL-UE-LESS.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 00:48
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    It doesn't seem you took it correctly.

Like I said earlier:
    "I'd guess that what he is questioning how anyone could both be filled with the "Spirit of God" and support the platform of the Republican party."

I don't see this as necessarily Republican vs. Democrat, rather as righteousness and the Republican party being irreconcilable.
    You are suggesting that people filled with the Spirit of God cannot
    attach themselves to any group that you believe has issues?

I have pointed out every one of our groups are flawed! They are
    filled with flawed people, that includes all of our churches too. You
    think there is some "perfect" human group/club/whatever that God
    must accept?
    Kelly
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 01:37
    The last two posts by PinkFloyd and KellyJay both miss the core point: hundreds of thousands of self-professed Christians have embraced the Republican Party as the Party of God. Many churches have even become inhospitable to anyone refusing to espouse the central talking points of Republicans.

It is a historic fact that Republicans and modern American Christianity are two elements of the same central sense of true patriotism--one rooted in killing Muslims and Moose for oil, dispossessing Blacks and Latinos because they choose to be poor and the rich have earned their tax breaks, calling for tort reform as the single best reform of a health care system that has given the US a prestigious #37 ranking from the World Health Organization ( YouTube ).

I agree, KellyJay, that such political positioning is an insult to God. This convergence of interests between the NRA, GOP, and Bible churches is an established fact. I'm questioning how and why it makes religious sense because it seems to me that almost nothing Republicans espouse is consistent with genuine Christian faith.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 02:32
    The last two posts by PinkFloyd and KellyJay both miss the core point: hundreds of thousands of self-professed Christians have embraced the Republican Party as the Party of God. Many churches have even become inhospitable to anyone refusing to espouse the central talking points of Republicans.

It is a historic fact that Republicans and modern American Chr ...[text shortened]... seems to me that almost nothing Republicans espouse is consistent with genuine Christian faith.
    I have not missed your point, I choose to ignore it as meaningless!
    The fact I keep pushing back to you is that ALL of our parties have
    people of faith in them, even Spiritfilled! All of those parties have
    things I find less than. Your bashing the Republican party just shows a
    deep prejudce of yours in my opinion, I'm quite sure there are indeed
    pockets of Republicans that are not hospitable as I'm quite sure there
    are also pockets of Democrats that are the same way with those that
    disagree with them as well. I'd be willing to bet there are those within
    each party that view all of those in the other party as nasty to evil
    people and have nothing worth while or good to say about the other
    party at all, refusing to accept the notion there maybe good people
    in the other party who just plain disagrees with them without those
    same people doing so for some dark nasty reason.
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 02:481 edit
    I have not missed your point, I choose to ignore it as meaningless!
    The fact I keep pushing back to you is that ALL of our parties have
    people of faith in them, even Spiritfilled! All of those parties have
    things I find less than. Your bashing the Republican party just shows a
    deep prejudce of yours in my opinion, I'm quite sure there are indeed
    pocket in disagrees with them without those
    same people doing so for some dark nasty reason.
    Kelly
    Deep prejudice?

I've tried to be clear, but as you say, you ignore the major points and harp on the minors.

I am a historian. The connections between modern Republicanism and modern Christianity are FACT, probably to the detriment of both.

If there was a similar unholy alliance with the Green Party, the Democratic Party, the American Communist Party, or any other, I would be interested in that. But, since the late 1970s/early 1980s, Republicans have been able to bank on strong support from certain segments of American self-professed Christians.

I was hoping someone that believed both in Jesus and in Republican principles would be able to defend the logic of this alliance. KellyJay, you seem to want to pretend this alliance does not exist, so perhaps you should stick you head under tha sand in another box.

If it is meaningless, why do you return to the thread like a horny salmon returning to his place of birth.

I'm bashing neither Republicans, nor Christians. I'm inquiring why they seem to think they have a convergence of beliefs when the Bible condemns nearly everything central to the Republican platform.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 03:00
    Deep prejudice?

I've tried to be clear, but as you say, you ignore the major points and harp on the minors.

I am a historian. The connections between modern Republicanism and modern Christianity are FACT, probably to the detriment of both.

If there was a similar unholy alliance with the Green Party, the Democratic Party, the American Communist Part ...[text shortened]... ence of beliefs when the Bible condemns nearly everything central to the Republican platform.
    Your minor points are the major ones as far as I'm concern.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree