Exclusive claim to God

Exclusive claim to God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
13 Nov 06

Truth or means devised by religions institutions to create and maintain marketshare?

w

Moves
13 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Truth or means devised by religions institutions to create and maintain marketshare?
Say what? Are you saying that all religions maintain an exclusive knowledge of the truth to market themselves financially?

a

Moves
13 Nov 06

Originally posted by whodey
Say what? Are you saying that all religions maintain an exclusive knowledge of the truth to market themselves financially?
What religon are you talking about?

T

Moves
13 Nov 06

If there is one God and one God only, how can we explain the myriad interpretations of that God? Has God created these interpretations or has man?

Religious institutions are the creation of man. Religion is arguably the most powerful weapon known to man. Religious institutions seek this power.

God is Truth.

God is Love.

To follow the ways of God, the individual must first conquer the self.

All the major religions appear to have this at their core.

Is the rest a man-made artifice?

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
13 Nov 06

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
If there is one God and one God only, how can we explain the myriad interpretations of that God? Has God created these interpretations or has man?

Religious institutions are the creation of man. Religion is arguably the most powerful weapon known to man. Religious institutions seek this power.

God is Truth.

God is Love.

To follow the ways of ...[text shortened]...
All the major religions appear to have this at their core.

Is the rest a man-made artifice?
I agree that God is love and religion is man made to an extent. But if God was really real wouldn't he personally come and visit us and tell us which one he thought was the closest to the truth? If God was real he would show us that suffering and death could be overcome. He would also say catagoricallY while he was here that only he was the ruth, life and the way. Dream on ...it'll never happen!

w

Moves
13 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by knightmeister
I agree that God is love and religion is man made to an extent. But if God was really real wouldn't he personally come and visit us and tell us which one he thought was the closest to the truth? If God was real he would show us that suffering and death could be overcome. He would also say catagoricallY while he was here that only he was the ruth, life and the way. Dream on ...it'll never happen!
So if God were real he would personally come down and show us how to overcome suffering and death...........Christ comes to mind. Faith goes beyond believing that there is a God. The Bible is full of examples of people knowing there is a God and then loosing or not placing their faith in him anyway. Therefore, God is not interested in "proving" he exists, rather, he is searching for true faith in him.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
13 Nov 06

So if God were real he would personally come down and show us how to overcome suffering and death...........Christ comes to mind. Faith goes beyond believing that there is a God. The Bible is full of examples of people knowing there is a God and then loosing or not placing their faith in him anyway. Therefore, God is not interested in "proving" he exists, rather, he is searching for true faith in him.
Well, isn't that convenient? The existence of god cannot be proven, so it is claimed that god isn't interested in proving himself. Since christians cannot have proof, they claim that proof is irrelevant and that it's faith that matters. Sounds a lot like a case of sour grapes to me. If it is the case that proof doesn't matter, then why do so many christians try so hard to prove their case? They're like the fox leaping after the grapes he can never grasp, and only afterwards declaring that its faith and not proof that matters.

Moves
13 Nov 06

Originally posted by rwingett
Well, isn't that convenient? The existence of god cannot be proven, so it is claimed that god isn't interested in proving himself. Since christians cannot have proof, they claim that proof is irrelevant and that it's faith that matters. Sounds a lot like a case of sour grapes to me. If it is the case that proof doesn't matter, then why do so many christians ...[text shortened]... e can never grasp, and only afterwards declaring that its faith and not proof that matters.
Since God is a Holy God, sinful man cannot see God in His Holiness and live. Thus God reveals Himself by other means.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
13 Nov 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
Since God is a Holy God, sinful man cannot see God in His Holiness and live. Thus God reveals Himself by other means.
How do you know that? Have you looked upon him? Do you know anyone who looked upon him and died? Should you be considered holy if the sight of you kills people? Seems to me you'd be more of a monster, like the Medusa, to be scorned and not worshipped.

w

Moves
13 Nov 06
1 edit

Well, isn't that convenient? The existence of god cannot be proven, so it is claimed that god isn't interested in proving himself. Since christians cannot have proof, they claim that proof is irrelevant and that it's faith that matters. Sounds a lot like a case of sour grapes to me. If it is the case that proof doesn't matter, then why do so many christians e can never grasp, and only afterwards declaring that its faith and not proof that matters.
I would say that faith is not blind nor should be. There should be a basis for something that you place your faith in. Likewise, there is evidence out there as to the validity of the Bible. Granted, it may not "prove" the existence of God to you. The people of the Bible were real people and the historical events that occured in the Bible have merit. Just ask any Biblical archeologist. Also what about Biblical prophesy? Here are some that have come to pass in regards to the Messiah.

1. Born of a virgin. Isaiah 7:14
2. Born in Bethlehem. Micah 5:2
3. Presented with gifts. Psalms 72:10, Matthew 2:16.
4. He would enter Jerusalem on a donkey. Zechariah 9:9, Luke 19:35
5. Sold for 30 pieces of silver. Zechariah 11:13, Matthew 27:5
6. Time table for the coming of the Messiah written hundreds of years before his arrival. Daniel 9:24-27.

I could go on if you like.

Moves
13 Nov 06

How do you know that? Have you looked upon him? Do you know anyone who looked upon him and died? Should you be considered holy if the sight of you kills people? Seems to me you'd be more of a monster, like the Medusa, to be scorned and not worshipped.
If you want to judge God, you better do it within the paradigm of his existence. If you exclude him from the paradigm, nothing will make sense.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
13 Nov 06

I would say that faith is not blind nor should be. There should be a basis for something that you place your faith in. Likewise, there is evidence out there as to the validity of the Bible. Granted, it may not "prove" the existence of God to you. The people of the Bible were real people and the historical events that occured in the Bible have merit. Just ...[text shortened]... h written hundreds of years before his arrival. Daniel 9:24-27.

I could go on if you like.
Don't bother. There is no evidence for any of these things you list outside of the bible. You do understand the concept of 'circular reasoning', do you not?

Moves
13 Nov 06

Don't bother. There is no evidence for any of these things you list outside of the bible. You do understand the concept of 'circular reasoning', do you not?
Ever heard of Historical writers and archeologists?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
13 Nov 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
If you want to judge God, you better do it within the paradigm of his existence. If you exclude him from the paradigm, nothing will make sense.
I am not judging god. I am judging christians.

Moves
13 Nov 06

I am not judging god. I am judging christians.
How do you define a christian?