Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Proof

Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Proof

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. Korea

Moves
16 Jul 19

@fmf said
BUMP: What criticisms do you think I am "heaping" on you?

Personally, I think it's totally fine for you to sleep with your girlfriend as long as there is not any morally unsound dimension to the relationship. What criticisms do you think I "heap" on you?
I thought the implication that was that I am a hypocrite, and you stated that it makes you laugh -- and that I am self-righteous who comes up with self-serving ideology?

Personally, I think it's fine for him to have sex with his partner as long as there are no morally unsound aspects to what is going on, but - just saying - self-righteous Christians with their little bits of self-servingly modified bits of 'holy' ideology make me laugh sometimes.

Surely, that was directed at me.

And it would be worth noting that the post was also directed at Dive, who may want to bring it up again.

All of my posts can be thought of as having a scope beyond the person I am directly replying to.

F

Moves
16 Jul 19

@philokalia said
Since the punishment is premised entirely on those who have made no effort to be united with God and have chosen to not have Faith in Him, why would you not deserve to be separate from God for 55,000 years, 120,000 years, and 3,000,000 years?
Well, one could say I made a 25 year effort to maintain "faith in Him". So do you think I am probably going to escape the 3,000,000-and-still-counting of torment in burning flames?

F

Moves
16 Jul 19
1 edit

@philokalia said
I thought the implication that was that I am a hypocrite, and you stated that it makes you laugh -- and that I am self-righteous who comes up with self-serving ideology?
Yes, but I thought you were implying that that was all true and fair and pertinent?

S. Korea

Moves
16 Jul 19

@fmf said
It's wishy-washy rhetoric. "If I am right..." is not a prefix to a moral argument. "If I am right..." is a prefix to assertions that are made instead of a moral argument.
Wow, it looks like you forgot what the original discussion was based on.

I am not saying believe in my God because you'll find out when you die.

I was saying that your bumbling statement in THIS post was silly:
https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/extraordinary-claims-require-extraordinary-proof.181437/page-51#post_4065302

S. Korea

Moves
16 Jul 19

@fmf said
How does your ideology apply to people then?
Christianity is not an ideology. Or, I guess, people can make ideologies from Chrsitianity, but this is also wrong.

My ideology doesn't apply to anybody.

But as I stated: if the Christian God is correct, and the revelation of Christ is correct, it will be applicable to everybody.

F

Moves
16 Jul 19

@philokalia said
All of my posts can be thought of as having a scope beyond the person I am directly replying to.
If you are a self-righteous hypocritical Christian by your own testimony, isn't it there for anyone to tackle you on?

S. Korea

Moves
16 Jul 19

@fmf said
What effect is this speculation-without-evidence, and assertions attendant thereto, supposed to have on moral agents who don't believe these things that you do?
Oh, I thought stating the beliefs of the Christian church on hell were relevant when discussign hell.

What kind of shell game is this?

When I state what is believed in response to an argument about the morality of hell, why does it shift to an argument about the evidence for hell?

Pick one of the two topics and we can handle each one of these lines separately.

F

Moves
16 Jul 19

@philokalia said
Christianity is not an ideology.
Of course it is, don't be silly. All religious doctrines are ideologies.

F

Moves
16 Jul 19

@philokalia said
But as I stated: if the Christian God is correct, and the revelation of Christ is correct, it will be applicable to everybody.
This is not a moral argument.

F

Moves
16 Jul 19

@philokalia said
Oh, I thought stating the beliefs of the Christian church on hell were relevant when discussign hell.
Stating stuff is one thing. Regurgitating rote-learned dogma is just stating stuff. Making a coherent justification for the demented vengeful supernatural violence you believe is morally sound is something else.

F

Moves
16 Jul 19

@philokalia said
My ideology doesn't apply to anybody.
Good. We agree on this.

F

Moves
16 Jul 19

@philokalia said
I was saying that your bumbling statement in THIS post was silly:
https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/extraordinary-claims-require-extraordinary-proof.181437/page-51#post_4065302
It is neither bumbling nor silly.

F

Moves
16 Jul 19

@philokalia said
I am not saying believe in my God because you'll find out when you die.
For not having my beliefs, you will be flayed alive, skinned from head to toe, and dipped in salt and then kept alive forever on a machine that goes ping ping ping.

And here's the real clincher: if what I am saying is true then it is true.

So you had better start having my beliefs.

F

Moves
16 Jul 19

If it turns out that I am right and the moon IS made of cheese, after all, it will be true that it is was and always will be made of cheese and those who didn't think so will have been wrong all along. So THAT is my stance on my belief that the moon is made of cheese. Smell the glove.

F

Moves
16 Jul 19

Maybe I should get my penis circumcised just in case somebody-somewhere's God figure demands it and they are right.