1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91905
    13 Sep '10 12:01
    So how do you tell if someone is a false prophet?

    In my way of thinking everyone is a false prophet of sorts, however, those that deliberatley and knowingly tell people info they know is crap, or unverified are the real false prophets.
    (I didn't really think that through too much, would just like to see what people make of this phrase,thnx๐Ÿ™‚ )
  2. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    13 Sep '10 12:31
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So how do you tell if someone is a false prophet?

    In my way of thinking everyone is a false prophet of sorts, however, those that deliberatley and knowingly tell people info they know is crap, or unverified are the real false prophets.
    (I didn't really think that through too much, would just like to see what people make of this phrase,thnx๐Ÿ™‚ )
    "So how do you tell if someone is a false prophet?"

    If they prophesy of things that never happen precisely as they said they would with 100% accuracy.
  3. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    13 Sep '10 12:321 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So how do you tell if someone is a false prophet?

    In my way of thinking everyone is a false prophet of sorts, however, those that deliberatley and knowingly tell people info they know is crap, or unverified are the real false prophets.
    (I didn't really think that through too much, would just like to see what people make of this phrase,thnx๐Ÿ™‚ )
    The Bible has the answer :

    Deut 18:20 ... the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
    21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?
    22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.


    The JWs have called themselves Gods Prophet .. The Watchtower of April 1st, 1972, page 197, had this statement :

    "So, does Jehovah have a prophet to help them, to warn them of dangers and to declare things to come?...These questions can be answered in the affirmative. Who is this prophet?... This "prophet" was not one man, but was a body of men and women. It was the small group of footstep followers of Jesus Christ, known at that time as International Bible Students. Today they are known as Jehovah’s Christian witnesses...."

    And Peter had this to say about their fate :

    II Pet 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91905
    13 Sep '10 12:35
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"So how do you tell if someone is a false prophet?"

    If they prophesy of things that never happen precisely as they said they would with 100% accuracy.[/b]
    So basically everyone,right?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91905
    13 Sep '10 12:46
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The Bible has the answer :

    Deut 18:20 ... the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
    21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?
    22 When a prophet speaketh in the na ...[text shortened]... s, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
    Ok-let me get this straight.
    false prophets shall die for making prophecies that are not inspired by the true God?

    This does not appear to be the case.Some suicide cults come to mind. They have got to be the worst prophets, yet they continue living...

    And this "swift destruction"? How swift is it?

    Oh and Robbie was arguing that the JW's were not inspired by God, so... It is none the clearer but thnx for the biblical refrences. ๐Ÿ™‚
  6. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    13 Sep '10 12:57
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Ok-let me get this straight.
    false prophets shall die for making prophecies that are not inspired by the true God?

    This does not appear to be the case.Some suicide cults come to mind. They have got to be the worst prophets, yet they continue living...

    And this "swift destruction"? How swift is it?

    Oh and Robbie was arguing that the JW's were not inspired by God, so... It is none the clearer but thnx for the biblical refrences. ๐Ÿ™‚
    You have the Twhitehead syndrome.

    Eg ...Christ said that he will return soon.

    Is the important words "..he will return.." or is it "..soon"?
    If you say soon and you try to determine what he meant by 'soon', and discard the sentence as false becuase you dont know what soon means then you are rather foolish. The important thing is that you understand that He will return.

    See if you can figure out from what I posted what the important parts of the passages are. Let me help you :

    - Making false prophesies which mislead people is wrong in the eyes of God
    - the JWs have referred to themselves as Gods Prophet
    - they will be punished.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91905
    13 Sep '10 13:10
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    You have the Twhitehead syndrome.

    Eg ...Christ said that he will return soon.

    Is the important words "..he will return.." or is it "..soon"?
    If you say soon and you try to determine what he meant by 'soon', and discard the sentence as false becuase you dont know what soon means then you are rather foolish. The important thing is that you understand t ...[text shortened]... es of God
    - the JWs have referred to themselves as Gods Prophet
    - they will be punished.
    In this context I'm going to take the twitehead reference as a good thing.

    Christ said he will return soon. Is it that unreasonable to ponder what this "soon"means?
    Obviously you dont want to commit the error of being a false prophet yourself.
    I really dont believe that Christ will return-not in the same form anyway.
    And if he does then good. The wicked shall get what they deserve, etc. I have no problem with that. Its the vagueness about a certainty that has me wondering...

    How many poeple ,do you think, thought Christ was coming back on new years day 2000?
    Seems the christians get ruffled by people enquiring about this sort of thing.
    (Time is an illusion)
  8. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    13 Sep '10 13:14
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    In this context I'm going to take the twitehead reference as a good thing.

    Christ said he will return soon. Is it that unreasonable to ponder what this "soon"means?
    Obviously you dont want to commit the error of being a false prophet yourself.
    I really dont believe that Christ will return-not in the same form anyway.
    And if he does then good. The ...[text shortened]... christians get ruffled by people enquiring about this sort of thing.
    (Time is an illusion)
    NO .. I never make prophesies to anyone. The bible says its wrong and thats good enough to stop me from doing it.

    Christ said he will return and I dont need to know what he meant by soon.
    How many people thought that Christ was returning in 2000 and how many people make false prophesies has no bearing on my beliefs.
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    12622
    13 Sep '10 13:151 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So how do you tell if someone is a false prophet?

    In my way of thinking everyone is a false prophet of sorts, however, those that deliberatley and knowingly tell people info they know is crap, or unverified are the real false prophets.
    (I didn't really think that through too much, would just like to see what people make of this phrase,thnx๐Ÿ™‚ )
    The way the FBI agents get to know counterfeit money is by closely examining real money. They taste it. They scrutinize it. They handle it. That thoroughly familiarize themselves with the real product.

    Then when a fake comes along, they can recognize it.

    I suggest that the way you get to know who the false prophet is is by knowing the true revelation of God - Christ. Thoroughly get to know what Christ is like. And then you will know the counterfeit product easily.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91905
    13 Sep '10 13:19
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    NO .. I never make prophesies to anyone. The bible says its wrong and thats good enough to stop me from doing it.

    Christ said he will return and I dont need to know what he meant by soon.
    How many people thought that Christ was returning in 2000 and how many people make false prophesies has no bearing on my beliefs.
    Thanks for the clarification. You are a follower of christ and do not belong to any denomination, right?
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91905
    13 Sep '10 13:28
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The way the FBI agents get to know counterfeit money is by closely examining real money. They taste it. They scrutinize it. They handle it. That thoroughly familiarize themselves with the real product.

    Then when a fake comes along, they can recognize it.

    I suggest that the way you get to know who the false prophet is is by knowing the true revelation ...[text shortened]... oroughly get to know what Christ is like. And then you will know the counterfeit product easily.
    Indeed jaywill.
    I just substitue "Spirit" or "Light" or sopmething like that for "Christ" and it makes perfect sense to me.
    I am not hung up on names like Jesus. I feel nothing bad inside for being like that, on the contrary, I find it liberating to know that I am trying to allign myself with an event that will affect the whole world and not just the christians.

    Surely if Christ came back he would not need an ego boost.
    People that cant recognize his name, but have led perfectly saintly lives, will not be a part of the new world?

    Do you have to repeat his name to be saved?
    The questions along this line just come thick and fast. Like : If someone does repent to Jesus after a lifetime of wickedness, will they get to heaven, whereas a perfectly good, selfless, good-doing non-christian wont?



    ๐Ÿ™„
  12. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    13 Sep '10 13:30
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Thanks for the clarification. You are a follower of christ and do not belong to any denomination, right?
    Right .. hope thats not a sin ..๐Ÿ™‚
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91905
    13 Sep '10 13:421 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Right .. hope thats not a sin ..๐Ÿ™‚
    ๐Ÿ™‚ Sounds like a perfectly good teacher of spirituality to me
  14. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    13 Sep '10 13:55
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    ๐Ÿ™‚ Sounds like a perfectly good teacher of spirituality to me
    Christ and Paul are the good teachers. Your question to Jaywill has a possible answer here, although Christians dont like to admit it. It says here that those who are without the Law (law of Moses), but who still do good works, becuase their heart and conscience is their guide, are a law unto themselves and will be judged when Christ returns.

    So my advice to you is if you dont want to be a Christian, I suggest you can still follow what Christ said to do by your good works. Chances are you will be better off than those fake Christians who worship God with their mouth but their hearts are far from him.

    Romans 2:10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
    11 For there is no respect of persons with God.
    12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
    13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
    14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
    15 Which show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another๐Ÿ˜‰
    16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
  15. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    13 Sep '10 14:042 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So how do you tell if someone is a false prophet?

    In my way of thinking everyone is a false prophet of sorts, however, those that deliberatley and knowingly tell people info they know is crap, or unverified are the real false prophets.
    (I didn't really think that through too much, would just like to see what people make of this phrase,thnx๐Ÿ™‚ )
    actually its quite simple, its by their actions, according to the words of the Christ. Please consider this text.

    (Matthew 7:15-20) . . .“Be on the watch for the false prophets that come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves.  By their fruits you will recognize them. Never do people gather grapes from thorns or figs from thistles, do they?  Likewise every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit;  a good tree cannot bear worthless fruit, neither can a rotten tree produce fine fruit.  Every tree not producing fine fruit gets cut down and thrown into the fire.  Really, then, by their fruits you will recognize those [men].

    Again i draw you attention towards a simple yet profound analogy, a tree that produces fruit. A tree that is rotten cannot produce good fruit. In a similar way, a false prophet is known by his actions, or the fruitage that those actions produce. For a Christian at least, it is relatively easy to see what fruitage a prophet produces, whether it is in harmony with Gods spirit, for these fruitages are listed.

    (Galatians 5:22-23) . . .On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith,  mildness, self-control. . .

    therefore a true prophet would display these types of fruitage, a false one, these,

    (Galatians 5:19-21) . . .are fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct,  idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects,  envies, drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these.. . .
Back to Top