God's infallible knowledge and free will part II

God's infallible knowledge and free will part II

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
22 Aug 10
2 edits

Originally posted by Lord Shark
Because according to our argument, it is false to say that if A is contingent on our free choice, then God doesn't know everything in the future.
Is there a reason for to believe that is true or is this strictly a thought experiment for grins?

Either God's knowledge of the future is limited or it isn't. If "God must wait for A before knowing you will A", then it is limited.

And what has it to do with "counter[ing] the theist argument that the assignment of a value to A is contingent on our free choice"?

Moves
22 Aug 10
1 edit

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Is there a reason for to believe that is true or is this strictly a thought experiment for grins?

And what has it to do with "counter[ing] the theist argument that the assignment of a value to A is contingent on our free choice"?
Well, what reason is there to suppose that god doesn't know things just because they are contingent?

Bbarr gave an argument which attempted to show that since god's foreknowledge is necessary, libertarian free will is incompatible with it. I came up with a possible theist counter, as described.

L

Moves
22 Aug 10
2 edits

[b]At every possible world, god knows you will A. But for a while now I have been unable to see how to counter the theist argument that the assignment of a value to A is contingent on our free choice.

I haven't followed along, but if A is contingent on our free choice, then God doesn't know everything in the future. God must wait for A before knowing you will A just like everyone else. Why is it more difficult than this?[/b]
But it doesn't follow simply from that A is contingent that G would not know about its content. It seems that move would require further assumption(s) that may carry their own complications. To resolve the tension between G's foreknowledge and human freedom, yes, one could just throw out G's foreknowledge. If a theist wished to do that, he could simply hold that propositions regarding future human actions do not have truth values (for instance). But, as I mentioned, this carries its own complications; moreover, many theists would not be satisfied by this kind of concession.

So, here, we are considering an argument that denies this type of concession. We want to see if this theist can have his cake...and eat it too.

T

Moves
22 Aug 10

[b]Is there a reason for to believe that is true or is this strictly a thought experiment for grins?
Well, what reason is there to suppose that god doesn't know things just because they are contingent?

Bbarr g ...[text shortened]... n free will is incompatible with it. I came up with a possible theist counter, as described.[/b]

I added this edit in my previous post: Either God's knowledge of the future is limited or it isn't. If "God must wait for A before knowing you will A", then it is limited.

If God's knowledge is contingent, then it is limited.

Am I still missing something?

Bbarr gave an argument which attempted to show that since god's foreknowledge is necessary, libertarian free will is incompatible with it. I came up with a possible theist counter, as described.

Okay, so it seems you guys are mired in a theoretical argument that you're kicking around.

L

Moves
22 Aug 10
2 edits

[b]Well, what reason is there to suppose that god doesn't know things just because they are contingent?

I added this edit in my previous post: Either God's knowledge of the future is limited or it isn't. If "God must wait for A before knowing you will A", then it is limited.

Am I still mi ay, so it seems you guys are mired in a theoretical argument that you're kicking around.[/b]

In your first post on the previous page, the antecedent in the conditional you started with was "A is contingent on our free choice". How did we get to "God's knowledge is contingent"?

EDIT: By the way, I do agree G's knowledge would be "contingent" in the sense outlined by bbarr's last post. That is, even under the supposition that P, we could still have possibly ~Q. But it doesn't seem yet to me that this is a problem for the theist (a problem in the sense of his having to admit that G's knowledge is "limited" in any non-ersatz way) because if possibly ~P, then possibly ~Q could be true only because of the following trivial point: ~Q where ~P. (P: You will A. And Q: G knows you will A.)

Moves
22 Aug 10

[b]Well, what reason is there to suppose that god doesn't know things just because they are contingent?

Am I still mi ...[text shortened]... ay, so it seems you guys are mired in a theoretical argument that you're kicking around.[/b]
We have to be careful here. Suppose god knows all facts, past present and future. Now according to the libertarian, some of these facts will be contingent on our choices, but since god knows them, god's knowledge is not limited by this. God does not have to wait.

Am I still missing something?
Maybe you are missing the notion that god knowing what we will do before we do it doesn't preclude our choice?

Okay, so it seems you guys are mired in a theoretical argument that you're kicking around.
It can get fiddly in parts, yes.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 Aug 10

Well the problem I have with this view is that god presumably chose precisely how to make creation whilst being aware of what choices we would make according to all possible creations. So there are no circumstances in which god would need to change creation so that we would do what He wanted us to do.

Perhaps people think the Calvinists are responsible for the idea of predestination, but you can see it in Aquinas.
Calvin and Aquinas, and anyone else that believes that predestination has anything to do with free will, has completely misunderstood the meaning of predestination.

Calvinist claim that man's will is corrupt beyond his ability to choose. That must be true in order for election and predestination to be interpreted as they say.

Predestination has to do with it's object, which is what man is destined to be, i.e. conformed to the image of Christ.

Romans 8:29 - For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestine to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

The idea or meaning of this verse is that God knew us before creation; those of us that would choose to trust in His Christ; therefore He gave us something to be conformed to. Ergo, predestinated.

A careful reading of the entire passage will make it perfectly clear.

Moves
23 Aug 10

Originally posted by josephw
Calvin and Aquinas, and anyone else that believes that predestination has anything to do with free will, has completely misunderstood the meaning of predestination.

Calvinist claim that man's will is corrupt beyond his ability to choose. That must be true in order for election and predestination to be interpreted as they say.

Predestination has to do w ...[text shortened]... Ergo, predestinated.

A careful reading of the entire passage will make it perfectly clear.
Originally posted by josephw
Ironically, Aquinas attempts to show that predestination is no threat to moral responsibility. In my view he was no more convincing than you are.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Aug 10

Originally posted by bbarr
O.K., but you don't need the libertarian account of free will if all you want is choice without coercion.
Sorry bbarr, I never heard of "libertarian account " until you wrote it to respond
to my post. I had to look it up. 🙂
Kelly

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
25 Aug 10

So the point is the Bible says "God's thoughts are higher then our thoughts and his ways higher then our ways." So it makes for good discussion but bottom line is we do not know now and will proabaly never know what he knows past, present or future.....

Moves
26 Aug 10

Originally posted by galveston75
So the point is the Bible says "God's thoughts are higher then our thoughts and his ways higher then our ways." So it makes for good discussion but bottom line is we do not know now and will proabaly never know what he knows past, present or future.....
I don't think that is the point, but hey, it takes all kinds.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Aug 10

I don't think that is the point, but hey, it takes all kinds.
Well the discussion I thought was about what God knows or doesn't. So we don't know that answer...Right?

Moves
26 Aug 10

Well the discussion I thought was about what God knows or doesn't. So we don't know that answer...Right?
I disagree, I think it is about the consequences for free will of god knowing all facts, past present and future.

d

Moves
26 Aug 10

No we do know the answer, God knows everything

L

Moves
26 Aug 10

Originally posted by daniel58
No we do know the answer, God knows everything
Okay, but galveston75 is obviously confused about what exactly is the question at issue. Saying that God knows everything does not address the current inquiry. Suppose we grant you that God does know everything. What, then, are the relevant implications, if any, for human free will?