Grace vs. Works

Grace vs. Works

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
05 Aug 09
2 edits

From the blog of the gunman who opened fire and killed three people in a LA Fitness gym in Pennsylvania on August 4, 2009

"Maybe soon, I will see God and Jesus. At least that is what I was told. Eternal life does NOT depend on works. If it did, we will all be in hell. Christ paid for EVERY sin, so how can I or you be judged BY GOD for a sin when the penalty was ALREADY paid."

While his actions were extremely egregious, the beliefs exhibited here are very much like many Christians including posters on this forum. How much do these types of beliefs affect actions they take? Especially when coupled with the belief that it is impossible for them not to sin? It seems it would allow them to help "justify" pretty much any transgression against their fellow man to themselves whether big or small.

d

Moves
05 Aug 09

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
From the blog of the gunman who opened fire and killed three people in a LA Fitness gym in Pennsylvania on August 4, 2009

"Maybe soon, I will see God and Jesus. At least that is what I was told. Eternal life does NOT depend on works. If it did, we will all be in hell. Christ paid for EVERY sin, so how can I or you be judged BY GOD for a sin when the pe ...[text shortened]... " pretty much any transgression against their fellow man to themselves whether big or small.
Christ paid for every sin but we have to REPENT to get it forgiven,

If it was impossible for us not to sin than, 1. their would be no hell, 2. what would be the point of laws?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
05 Aug 09

Originally posted by daniel58
Christ paid for every sin but we have to REPENT to get it forgiven,

If it was impossible for us not to sin than, 1. their would be no hell, 2. what would be the point of laws?
Yeah .. repent and it will be forgiven.

I have a Catholic friend who regularly has sex with men other than her husband during the week and then goes to confession and all is forgiven. Its a great arrangement if you are a brainwashed Catholic.

d

Moves
05 Aug 09

Originally posted by Rajk999

I have a Catholic friend who regularly has sex with men other than her husband during the week and then goes to confession and all is forgiven. Its a great arrangement if you are a brainwashed Catholic.
That doesn't make it right, not all do it though.

w

Moves
05 Aug 09

I don’t agree with that myself. In my opinion, part of the repentance process is to never do it again. If you do, then you haven’t repented.

d

Moves
05 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by whiteknight26
I don’t agree with that myself. In my opinion, part of the repentance process is to never do it again. If you do, then you haven’t repented.
Well you could repent, mean not to do it again, then do it later, then what you're saying you can only repent once?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
05 Aug 09
1 edit

That doesn't make it right, not all do it though.
But she can still go to heaven, right?

d

Moves
05 Aug 09

Originally posted by SwissGambit
But she can still go to heaven, right?
Yes, if she TRULY repents.

w

Moves
05 Aug 09

Well you could repent, mean not to do it again, then do it later, then what you're saying you can only repent once?
Repentance is a long and difficult process the way I look at it. There are certain steps one must go through at least the way I see it. The ultimate goal of repentance is that you are not going to commit that sin again. There is very little information to go on here to continue what this particular person has been through already. Has she sought counseling for example?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
05 Aug 09

Yes, if she TRULY repents.
But the Catholic priest tells her that she is forgiven.
She has TRULY repented.
(I take it there is a difference between 'truly' and 'TRULY'😉 ... 😀
And she does it again and she TRULY repents again.
And the priest tells her that she is TRULY forgiven.

So at what point will stupid Catholics realise that this confession and forgiven nonsense is a sham and an insult to Christ?

T

Moves
05 Aug 09

I think he's making a distinction between saying you've repented and actually repenting. You can say you've repented, want to repent or think you've repented any number of times. Actual repentance involves not committing the sin again, so you can only repent once.

d

Moves
05 Aug 09

But the Catholic priest tells her that she is forgiven.
She has TRULY repented.
(I take it there is a difference between 'truly' and 'TRULY'😉 ... 😀
And the priest tells her that she is TRULY forgive ...[text shortened]... holics realise that this confession and forgiven nonsense is a sham and an insult to Christ?
7x70

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
05 Aug 09

7x70
So, if she repents every week, she can continue banging all the guys she wants for over 9 years. If she's smarter and only repents, say, every month, she can be adulterous for 40 years.

The important thing is to make sure to die after a repentance, to avoid getting caught with [pardon the pun] her pants down.

Moves
06 Aug 09
2 edits

Originally posted by SwissGambit
So, if she repents every week, she can continue banging all the guys she wants for over 9 years. If she's smarter and only repents, say, every month, she can be adulterous for 40 years.

The important thing is to make sure to die after a repentance, to avoid getting caught with [pardon the pun] her pants down.
Well if she repents immediately after adultery her odds are pretty good. Unless she gets hit by a bus on the way to church.

The whole Christian concept of sin and repentance and forgiveness is a complete joke. You cannot undo what has been done because all of our actions affect ourselves, our families, someone, some part of the world. Our actions cannot simply be undone. Our deeds matter. My suggestion to people would be try compensation rather than repentance for a change or better yet try not being an a&@%ole in the first place.

But silly me for thinking that we should be responsible for our own behavior and not offload the guilt and responsiblity on some dude that got nailed to a cross 2009 years ago.

"I'm a proud heathen and without sin. But there's no forgiveness for what's been done. I want my gods to see my family and my good reputation won."
- from the Tru Spirit album "Gift for a Gift"

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Aug 09

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne

"Maybe soon, I will see God and Jesus. At least that is what I was told. Eternal life does NOT depend on works. If it did, we will all be in hell. Christ paid for EVERY sin, so how can I or you be judged BY GOD for a sin when the pe ...[text shortened]... " pretty much any transgression against their fellow man to themselves whether big or small.
It isn't a matter of "just" beliefs, Satan believes and it will do Him no
good towards God. Jesus even says, "Why do you call me Lord and do
not the things I say?" I am very sure someone who has given their
lives to Christ will be transformed by Christ and their lives will not
reflect such horror as we are also told by their fruits we will know them.
It is a matter of relationship, a cheap belief system that gives people
a relationshipless life with Jesus Christ is still a belief system that does
not have Jesus Christ. Those in such belief systems will hear the words,
"Depart from me, I never knew you.", and they will be cast into a fire
that will never end.
Kelly