1. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 00:05
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Nyxie, you have fallen victim to the musical avatars. Pcaspian is trying to remove any latent homosexual feelings he has by using my avatar. Please join me in wishing him well.
    I welcome the musical avatar of pcaspian. I also add this :

In 1 Samuel 18:20-21 "Now Saul's daughter Michal was in love with David,and when they told Saul about it, he was pleased. 'I will give her to him',he thought, 'so that she may be a snare to him and so that the hand of the Philistines may be against him .Thou shalt this day be my son-in-law, in the one of the twain."

Saul's belief was that David would be so distracted by a wife that he would not be an effective fighter and would be killed by the Philistines. He offered first his daughter Merab, but that was rejected, presumably by her. Then he offered Michal.

The KJV preserves the original text in its clearest form; it implies that David would become Saul's son-in-law through "one of the twain." "Twain" means "two", so the verse seems to refer to one of Saul's two daughters. Unfortunately, this is a mistranslation. The phrase "the one of" does not exist in Hebrew originally. The words are shown in italics in the King James Version; which is an admission by the translators that they made the words up. Thus, if the KJV translators had been truly honest, they would have written: "Thou shalt this day be my son-in-law, in the twain." In modern English, this might be written: "Today, you are son-in-law with two of my children" That would refer to both his son Jonathan and his daughter Michal since his daughter Merab did not have a relationship with David. The Hebrew original text would appear to recognize David and Jonathan's homosexual relationship as equivalent to David and Michal's heterosexual marriage. So it is possible that there is Biblical approval of same-sex marriage.

Nyxie

references : http://members.aol.com/gunnyding/relationships/relationships.htm
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 00:06
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Are there any quotes from Jesus in the Gospels saying homosexuals would go to Hell?
    Not that I know of. However, He validated with His own mouth the Scriptures we are supposed to follow, and they include the Scriptures that say homosexuality is wrong.
  3. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 00:08
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Not that I know of. However, He validated with His own mouth the Scriptures we are supposed to follow, and they include the Scriptures that say homosexuality is wrong.
    Yeah the scriptures also say we should stone women, but did Jesus do this? What was his answer to the adulteress and the crowd?

Nyxie
  4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 00:08
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Off white or a tan color then. You know your buddy yearns to oil you up like a lifeguard on a summer day.

I doubt he has much of a choice, though, few people would willingly subject themselves to what must be a torturous existance. The struggle through adolecense must be punishing. Maybe God intends homosexuality to be genetically or instinctua ...[text shortened]... Ivan Ho and Moorauder lust fiendishly after each other in some sort of bizzare love triangle.
    My friend is a man of God. And your assumption and insistence that I am Caucasion is disturbing.
  5. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 00:09
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    Yeah the scriptures also say we should stone women, but did Jesus do this? What was his answer to the adulteress and the crowd?

Nyxie
    Did He oppose the judgement of the sin or who judges it?
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 00:10

In 1 Samuel 18:20-21 "Now Saul's daughter Michal was in love with David,and when they told Saul about it, he was pleased. 'I will give her to him',he thought, 'so that she may be a snare to him and so that the hand of the Philistines may be against him .Thou shalt this day be my son-in-law, in ...[text shortened]... ge.

Nyxie

references : http://members.aol.com/gunnyding/relationships/relationships.htm
    Nyxie,

With reasoned exegesis like that, you too will likely be anointed a “false prophet” and “star pupil” of Satan. Welcome! We are legion!
  7. Graceland.
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 00:111 edit
    The Hebrew original text would appear to recognize David and Jonathan's homosexual relationship as equivalent to David and Michal's heterosexual marriage. So it is possible that there is Biblical approval of same-sex marriage.

Nyxie

Nyxie, the obvious answer is that homosexuality was explicitly forbidden by Mosaic Law. David himself could not sleep with another man's wife, (for that would be adultery - punishment death) indeed he had to go to the extreme of killing her husband before he could sleep with her. Furthermore there was no such thing was gay marriages (needless to say). Your interpretation is one used (no offense) by fairly amateur pro gay advocates. No reputable scholar would even contemplate any such relationship between David and Jonathan. As most you'll find references (such as the one you posted) from individuals with no credibility.

cheers

pc
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 00:12
    Lack of a parent. Lack of attention. A homosexual authority figure. A mental disorder.

I think I can say that I have had all of those at some time, yet by God's grace I have turned out straight. But seriously the American Psychiatric Association no longer recognizes homosexuality as a mental disorder. If you want to call it a sin, fine, but I don't think it is appropiate to call it a mental disorder.

I believe that homosexuals fall into two camps. Those born that way and those that respond to problematic life situations by chosing a gay lifestyle as a coping mechanism and either finding fulfillment in it or finding themselves confused.

Here's my problem and maybe you can respond to it. I have a lot of gay friends and frankly I find a lot of them are more comfortable with themselves than many straight friends that I have. I also am aware that all of my gay and lesbian friends are active in their faith community, some even teaching my kids in Sunday school. Is this not cause for celebration?
  9. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 00:13
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Nyxie,

With reasoned exegesis like that, you too will likely be anointed a “false prophet” and “star pupil” of Satan. Welcome! We are legion!
    Of course brother vistesd. I thank you for your welcome. I am afraid I had my falling out with the religious right some time ago. I will not take the name legion though.

I believe Jesus taught tolerance, I do not see his tolerance in these threads.

Nyxie
  10. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 00:141 edit

In 1 Samuel 18:20-21 "Now Saul's daughter Michal was in love with David,and when they told Saul about it, he was pleased. 'I will give her to him',he thought, 'so that she ma ...[text shortened]... : http://members.aol.com/gunnyding/relationships/relationships.htm
    The KJV preserves the original text in its clearest forms? That's hilarious. Many other atheists would disagree, unless of course it strengthened their argument.

Actually, you're grasping for straws here. It is much more likely that Saul still held out hope that Merab would marry David and that one of his two daughters would snare him. Can you offer conrete evidence that David was homosexual?
  11. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 00:16
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    [b] The Hebrew original text would appear to recognize David and Jonathan's homosexual relationship as equivalent to David and Michal's heterosexual marriage. So it is possible that there is Biblical approval of same-sex marriage.

Nyxie

Nyxie, the obvious answer is that homosexuality was explicitly forbidden ...[text shortened]... references (such as the one you posted) from individuals with no credibility.

cheers

pc
    [/b]
    and of course you have the proper credentials to portray yourself as a biblical scholar? Please provide these credentials so that we may all better understand the "rightness" of your point of view.

Nyxie
  12. Graceland.
    Moves

I believe Jesus taught tolerance, I do not see his tolerance in these threads.
    Nyxie

Who may I ask is 'intolerant' and why ? Do you think Jesus was also tolerant when he chased people out of the church with a whip ?
  13. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I think I can say that I have had all of those at some time, yet by God's grace I have turned out straight. But seriously the American Psychiatric Association no longer recognizes homosexuality as a mental disorder. If you want to call it a sin, fine, but I don't think it is appropiate to call it a mental disorder.

I believe that homosexuals fall ...[text shortened]... aith community, some even teaching my kids in Sunday school. Is this not cause for celebration?
    Not if it damns other proud sinners to hell with them.
  14. Playing with matches
    Moves
    My friend is a man of God. And your assumption and insistence that I am Caucasion is disturbing.
    I'm trying to point out the irony of some of your assertions with a weak attempt at humor. I assure that everything I said was absolutely hilarious... to me at least.

I also assure you that your color, nationality and sexual preference matter not one iota to me. I'm sure that your friend is a good and pious man. I wish you every happiness together.
  15. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 00:17
    The KJV preserves the original text in its clearest forms? That's hilarious. Many other atheists would disagree, unless of course it strengthened their argument.

Actually, you're grasping for straws here. It is much more likely that Saul still held out hope that Merab would marry David and that one of his two daughters would snare him. Can you offer conrete evidence that David was evidence?
    Are you dismissing the biblical authors and their ascertation that this relationship existed?

Nyxie

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree