1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Oct '17 19:22
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Ah yes we all know how reliable wikipedia is as a historical source. 😕
    So, you're going to use that as an excuse to dodge the examples given?

The data provided can be found in many other sources. Wikipedia didn't make up the demigods I listed or the origins of Isis.

You said examples didn't exist. I provided them. Take the opportunity to learn something.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 07:03
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    So, you're going to use that as an excuse to dodge the examples given?

The data provided can be found in many other sources. Wikipedia didn't make up the demigods I listed or the origins of Isis.

You said examples didn't exist. I provided them. Take the opportunity to learn something.
    Why are you so shy to list your sources? So far you have listed wikipedia... Got anything else?
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 08:34
    Why are you so shy to list your sources? So far you have listed wikipedia... Got anything else?
    Just to clarify, you don't believe the mythology of demigods from Greece, Rome etc exist outside of wikipedia?

You've never heard of say Hercules, father by Zeus with the human woman Alcmene?

Here, have a random non-wikipedia link:

'Zeus fell in love with a beautiful Greek woman named Alcmene [Alk-ME-ne]. When Alcmene's husband, Amphitryon, was away, Zeus made her pregnant. This made Hera so angry that she tried to prevent the baby from being born. When Alcmene gave birth to the baby anyway, she named him Herakles.'

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/Herakles/bio.html
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 09:08
    Just to clarify, you don't believe the mythology of demigods from Greece, Rome etc exist outside of wikipedia?

You've never heard of say Hercules, father by Zeus with the human woman Alcmene?

'Zeus fell in love with a beautiful Greek woman named Alcmene [Alk-ME-ne]. When Alcmene's husband, Amphitryon ...[text shortened]... h to the baby anyway, she named him Herakles.'

I am acquainted with Greek mythology. I was referring specifically to virgin births.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 10:13

'Zeus fell in love with a beautiful Greek woman named Alcmene [Alk-ME-ne]. When Alcmene's husband, Amphitryon ...[text shortened]... h to the baby anyway, she named him Herakles.'

And you think that this proves that Christians stole this idea from the Greeks?
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 11:33
    And you think that this proves that Christians stole this idea from the Greeks?
    Not at all.

In response to another poster saying Jesus wasn't the first recording of a demigod, you responded: "You on the other hand cannot seem to provide evidence of your supposed facts because there is none."

My post merely demonstrated there 'were' such examples of demigods that preceded Jesus. (The Hercules story for instance dating back some 2,700 years). It is also extremely likely the Gospel writers were aware of other demigod myths from Egypt, Greece and the like.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 11:38
    I am acquainted with Greek mythology. I was referring specifically to virgin births.
    Perhaps you are not so familiar with Assyrian tradition, such as that of Tukulti-Urta who was believed to have been created by the gods in the womb of his mother?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 12:04
    Not at all.

In response to another poster saying Jesus wasn't the first recording of a demigod, you responded: "You on the other hand cannot seem to provide evidence of your supposed facts because there is none."

My post merely demonstrated there 'were' such examples of demigods that preceded Jesus. (The Hercules story for instance dating ba ...[text shortened]... ely likely the Gospel writers were aware of other demigod myths from Egypt, Greece and the like.
    His claim was: "There are older religions, and yours has borrowed heavily from them."

I am looking for the reference that proves it was borrowed.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 14:21
    Perhaps you are not so familiar with Assyrian tradition, such as that of Tukulti-Urta who was believed to have been created by the gods in the womb of his mother?
    Take your time Becker, the question isn't going anywhere...
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 14:28
    No I am not. Perhaps you have reference for this?
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 14:57
    No I am not. Perhaps you have reference for this?
    These myths have been prevalent for thousands of years. Countless books have been written about them. If you genuinely want to learn more, just do a simple search.

While you're at it, look up Marduk (Babylonian) who also had a similar birth to Jesus, and if you're brave enough, Mithra. (Will rock your world to learn Mithraism doctrines of resurrection and the last judgement also preceded that of Christianity and claimed the 25th December as the birth of Mithra long before it was claimed by Jesus).

You are free of course to dismiss these myths as fiction, but what you can't do i'm afraid is discount their existence. They have been around long before Jesus and Christianity. That is just an historical fact. Theses ancient civilisations existed,as did their stories about demigods and virgin births. - Even a modicum of research will make this blindingly obvious to you. (Unless you'd prefer to remain blind? )
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 15:071 edit
    These myths have been prevalent for thousands of years. Countless books have been written about them. If you genuinely want to learn more, just do a simple search.

While you're at it, look up Marduk (Babylonian) who also had a similar birth to Jesus, and if you're brave enough, Mithra. (Will rock your world to learn Mithraism doctrines of resurre ...[text shortened]... um of research will make this blindingly obvious to you. (Unless you'd prefer to remain blind? )
    You talking with so much certainty about myths is quite insightful. I presume you have read these countless books? I am guessing if it's written in a book it has to be true unless of course that book is the Bible right? Which one of these countless books would you recommend I read?
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 15:14
    There are lots and lots. So many that you cannot seem to quote one source.
    Sir! You are on par with claiming the earth is flat. There is no rational reason to take you seriously here. I can list examples and resources all day long, but you aren't serious so why bother. Unless... are you unable to actually research an issue by yourself? You don't have the necessary skills?
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 15:15
    You talking with so much certainty about myths is quite insightful. I presume you have read these countless books? I am guessing if it's written in a book it has to be true unless of course that book is the Bible right?
    As I say sir, these myths have been around for thousands of years. Are you 'really' disputing this?! (The Tukulti-Urta example I mentioned, where the gods created him in the womb of his mother, is actually a building inscription from 890-884 B.C.)

But if these myths are too obscure for you, just look to Hinduism and the virgin birth of Krishna!!!! (Documented thousands of years before Jesus).
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 15:16
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Sir! You are on par with claiming the earth is flat. There is no rational reason to take you seriously here. I can list examples and resources all day long, but you aren't serious so why bother. Unless... are you [b]unable to actually research an issue by yourself? You don't have the necessary skills?[/b]
    Well obviously if you don't reference your sources there is no way for me to prove them bogus is there. Win win for you. If your claims are so easily verifiable why haven't you given me even one source?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree