1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Nov '17 15:55
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miraculous_births

Wow, that was SO hard to find.

How does it feel to be mentally living in the tenth century?
    🙂

And let us not forget that even the Christian virgin birth is a mistranslation of the word 'alma' from the book of Isaiah (which for centuries was happily understood to mean 'young woman' before being 'upgraded' to mean virgin).

Pagans a plenty of course, in the 1st century, were enamoured with the notion of the gods impregnating mortals.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 09:36
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miraculous_births

Wow, that was SO hard to find.

How does it feel to be mentally living in the tenth century?
    Wikipedia, very reliable source indeed.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Nov '17 18:57
    Originally posted by @sonship
    If I had the power stop a child from getting cancer but didn't, what would you think of me? That I'm a good loving person?

The argument against God's existence because of the existence of tragedy and misfortune I think is a strong argument. But it is not strong enough to cause me to turn to Atheism. This would primarily be because I re ...[text shortened]... low in misfortune a person descends, the arms of God can get beneath that person to uphold them.
    I would not use that to say something about the non-existence of god. My contention is so what if there IS a god or gods? It clearly has no interest in humans, who have written so many millions of pages about it, I guess in the hope we will eventually be dubbed worthy enough of a real visit by said religious royalty.

It makes a lot more sense to go, ok, there is a god. Where the hell is it then?

It sure as hell doesn't care a whit about the plight of mankind, 3 yo kids getting cancer is proof of that. Kind of flies against the script 'suffer the little children' which may have been miswritten, perhaps it originally was meant to say "Little children suffer so much', etc.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Nov '17 01:01
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Why would a perfectly loving God, who is also all powerful, allow such a child to suffer?!

If you can't see the incompatibility then quite frankly you're an idiot. (And to create a new thread to highlight this only compounds the idiocy).

There are only 3 possible explanations:

1. God does not exist.
    2. God may be perfectly loving but lack ...[text shortened]... s all powerful) but doesn't care enough to intervene. (is not all loving)

I go with number 1.
    Only three possible? Really!
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Nov '17 13:091 edit
    My contention is so what if there IS a god or gods? It clearly has no interest in humans,

The one devaluing human worth is the rabid Darwinist such as yourself.
    Basically you've reduced people to just more animals in your philosophy.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Dec '17 09:30

The one devaluing human worth is the rabid Darwinist such as yourself.
    Basically you've reduced people to just more animals in your philosophy.
    Evolution is not a philosophy it is a scientific fact.

Just because we do not like the notion that we are
    evolved from other species is not a reason to disbelieve it.

It would be lovely if there were a sky-god looking after
    us all and rewarding us with a lovely existence after death.

We would all like to believe that!

But the Truth got in the way.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Dec '17 09:33
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Wikipedia, very reliable source indeed.
    I would say 95% reliable (at least) and always a good place to start.
    What site would you recommend for impartial facts?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Dec '17 13:581 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59

That depends upon what is meant by the word Evolution.
    There are three connotations of the word. If you simply mean "change" yes it is a fact that organisms change to adopt to things like environment.

Other definitions for the word have some evidence for them.
    The most encompassing definition would mean that every single living thing we see was arrived at by random (or virtually random) process of natural selection upon modifications.

That is not an established fact. That is really a theory about history. Or if you will a theory about the un-observable past. It may carry some evidence depending on how one interprets the data.

I don't think it is fair to take the most general definition about evolution - change - and say Evolution is a fact automatically including some of the other beliefs.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Dec '17 14:00

I agree.
    Our liking or disliking of something doesn't effect if it is the truth or not, usually, I think.

I could not like to be descendant from an ape or something that artists usually draw to LOOK like an ape. It still may be true.

But the genetic fallacy should not govern this.
    "I believe it because like it" or " I don't believe it because I don't like it" doesn't govern the truth or falsity of the matter.

I may not like it and it may also may not be the truth.
    Right?
    Cuts both ways. Right?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Dec '17 14:001 edit

It would be even lovelier if every lampooning caricature strengthened the weaknesses of evolutinary theory in its broadest form -

Every single living thing was arrived at by a long serious of lucky accidents with no goal, no purpose, no look ahead ability, to design.

It be lovely if jabs at religion made this essentially miraculous event seem more intellectually valid.

If a frog turns into a prince it is a fairy tale.
    If a frog turns into a prince but it takes 60 million years, its science.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Dec '17 14:01

How about the lovely religion that Evolution means what comes next is goodness?
    Do you think nature needs an animal who is smart enough to wipe out all life on earth with hydrogen bombs?

Hope evolution corrects that glitch in the next decade, seeing how US and North Korea are fuming at each other.

You think Evolution will get that solved before it gets out of hand?

Genetic fallacy doesn't determine whether it is true or not.
    We do have this person in history who many said came back from the grave.
    I believe that it behooves us to listen to Christ who speaks with authority on the subject matter of what God can do beyond physical death.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Dec '17 14:011 edit

You mean your religious belief in a MIRACULOUS process of accidents producing the entire biosphere is standing in the way. You're brainwashed perhaps.

Go outside not and look at all the living things. Run the camera of time back and back in your head. Imagine that trillions of lucky accidents are responsible for the million of varied life forms on the planet.

You've got a belief in a miraculous process in mind that you're calling scientific fact. To me even if evolution in that grandest sense is true, it would evidence pointing to intelligent engineering.

Kathrine Kulhman use to open her TV show with saying "I believe in miracles!".
    So do you.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Dec '17 17:01
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Why would a perfectly loving God, who is also all powerful, allow such a child to suffer?!

If you can't see the incompatibility then quite frankly you're an idiot. (And to create a new thread to highlight this only compounds the idiocy).

There are only 3 possible explanations:

1. God does not exist.
    2. God may be perfectly loving but lack ...[text shortened]... s all powerful) but doesn't care enough to intervene. (is not all loving)

I go with number 1.
    Number 2 is close. God is all powerful but he "can't" without violating his own laws and character. Satan is the great accuser, murderer, thief and destroyer. He "inherited" dominion over the eath and has become the god of this world, thanks to sin of Adam and Eve.
    I do not understand all that is involved, I just know God had to go through certain steps to redeem mankind and eventually destroy satan altogether.
    People in their understanding see death in human terms.
    So a child dies from cancer? So what? Is God not able to raise her up at the Resurrection? Death is not the end. In the end God's people win.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Dec '17 08:48

That depends upon what is meant by the word Evolution.
    In context there really is only one meaning as any educated 12 year-old could tell you.

And the Theory of Evolution is scientific fact. (It is not a theory)
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Dec '17 08:54
    [b
    Go outside not and look at all the living things. Run the camera of time back and back in your head. Imagine that trillions of lucky accidents are responsible for the million of varied life forms on the planet.

[/b]
    I was playing bridge the other day and the first hand I was dealt, the very first, amazed me. It was obviously given to me by god. The chances of me randomly getting that hand were over 500 trillion to 1. And yet there I was , holding that miraculous hand. Wow.

It later transpired that all 80+ players had similar experiences!

About 10^1000 to 1.
    Yet it happened.
    God you think?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree