1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 15:30
    I like to think Becker has scurried away to read up on ancient civilisations and religions that preceded Christianity. (Having just learnt they existed).
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 15:47
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    So do you know that it is true or do you merely hope so?
    Your questions more and more indicate projection.

What are your standards, dj? What words do you consider to contain truth? How do you make such a judgement?

You will be too afraid to tackle those questions, no matter how many times you face them. What are you afraid of?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 18:403 edits
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Your questions more and more indicate projection.

What are your standards, dj? What words do you consider to contain truth? How do you make such a judgement?

You will be too afraid to tackle those questions, no matter how many times you face them. What are you afraid of?
    For words to be true I would say they need to be logically consistent, empirically adequate and experientially relevant. How about you? What is your standard for truth? What words do you consider to contain truth? How do you make such a judgement?

4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 18:45
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    You'll reject whatever source i give you, but here you go:

http://www.maravot.com/Phrygian1d.html

(determined in the womb of (his) mother...)

Early Assyrian accounts are well documented and substantiated. We are talking about historical documents, not just from the Assyrians, but from a number of ancient civilisations. - I'm afraid covering ...[text shortened]... g that the biblical accounts were not influenced by them. (As unlikely as that would have been).
    The word 'virgin' does not appear once in the text. How in your mind does 'determined in the womb of (his) mother indicate that his mother was a virgin?
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 19:271 edit
    The word 'virgin' does not appear once in the text. How in your mind does 'determined in the womb of (his) mother indicate that his mother was a virgin?
    🙄

It is a verifiable fact that many civilisations and religions that pre-dated Christianity had tales of demigods and virgin births. The mythology is there. To pretend it isn't is simply bizarre.

I'd actually much prefer to hear from a Christian who accepts these ancient mythologies for what they are, and hear how they differentiate them from biblical accounts.

Edit: In other words, if this were a job interview, you need not apply.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 19:30
    🙄

It is a verifiable fact that many civilisations and religions that pre-dated Christianity had tales of demigods and virgin births. The mythology is there. To pretend it isn't is simply bizarre.

I'd actually much prefer to hear from a Christian who accepts these ancient mythologies for what they are, and hear how they differentiate them from biblical accounts.

Edit: In other words, if this were a job interview, you need not apply.
    How exactly would you verify this fact?
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 19:33
    This is the last reply i will ever make to you. Do not reply to any more of my posts.

A thing can be verified by learning about it. Go do that.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 03:223 edits
    This is the last reply i will ever make to you. Do not reply to any more of my posts.

A thing can be verified by learning about it. Go do that.
    Touch a nerve did I? 😛

Learning about the Loch Ness monster or the invisible pink unicorn certainly verifies their existence. 🙄 Why don't you apply the same logic to learning about God? Your bias knickers are clearly showing Ghost.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 07:49
    Touch a nerve did I? 😛

Learning about the Loch Ness monster or the invisible pink unicorn certainly verifies their existence. 🙄 Why don't you apply the same logic to learning about God? Your bias knickers are clearly showing Ghost.
    The triumphant gloating of the troll who thinks he's achieved something. How proud you must be.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 08:58
    Originally posted by @avalanchethecat
    The triumphant gloating of the troll who thinks he's achieved something. How proud you must be.
    Add that to your array of insults that you tend to use when you run out of ideas. How proud you must be.
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 16:501 edit
    For words to be true I would say they need to be logically consistent, empirically adequate and experientially relevant. How about you? What is your standard for truth? What words do you consider to contain truth? How do you make such a judgement?

Words are pointers. Pointers aren't truth. Reality is truth. Words do not contain truth.

I make judgements based on pragmatism - that which works.

I've played your tit-for-tat game.

I bet if you make a clear statement of your own beliefs, we will find it doesn't meet your own proclaimed requirements. I wonder where you read of them.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 17:55
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Words are pointers. Pointers aren't truth. Reality is truth. Words do not contain truth.

I make judgements based on pragmatism - that which works.

I've played your tit-for-tat game.

I bet if you make a clear statement of your own beliefs, we will find it doesn't meet your own proclaimed requirements. I wonder where you read of them.
    Words do not contain truth.

If the words "Reality is truth" do not contain truth, what are you on about?
  13. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 18:11
    Add that to your array of insults that you tend to use when you run out of ideas. How proud you must be.
    I think you must have mistaken me for one of the many, many other people who have become aware and so, so bored with your trolling.
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    03 Nov '17 18:08
    If the words "Reality is truth" do not contain truth, what are you on about?
    Words point to truth. Didn't I already say that? They aren't little containers. They don't contain stuff.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 14:391 edit
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miraculous_births

Wow, that was SO hard to find.

How does it feel to be mentally living in the tenth century?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree