How did it all begin?

How did it all begin?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
21 Oct 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Are you not more likely to object to some scientific theories precisely because they apparently contradict the Bible (repository of truths)?
So?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
21 Oct 05

Originally posted by Halitose
So?
If that is the case, you should admit that the Bible is your criterion for all knowledge, including science, not simply ethics, morals & religion.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
21 Oct 05

If that is the case, you should admit that the Bible is your criterion for all knowledge, including science, not simply ethics, morals & religion.
Why should I. I very much doubt the science or math in the Bible would have allowed anybody to directly calculate the trajectory of getting Apollo 11 to the moon. The Bible isn't a modern-science text book.

You seem to be insinuating that Christians are anti-science when it contradicts the Bible. I haven't seen any hard science that contradicts the Bible, so I don't know whether I would find myself being antagonistic towards it.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
21 Oct 05

You seem to be insinuating that Christians are anti-science when it contradicts the Bible. I haven't seen any hard science that contradicts the Bible, so I don't know whether I would find myself being antagonistic towards it.
I know you don't regard the TOE as hard science, but what about spectometry and other techniques used to calculate the age of the earth? What does qualify as hard science in your view?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
22 Oct 05

I know you don't regard the TOE as hard science, but what about spectometry and other techniques used to calculate the age of the earth? What does qualify as hard science in your view?
Spectometry has no way of conclusively measuring radioactive decay. If scientists can only come up with approximations in the laboratory, how the plague will they be able to measure it from lightyears away and then tout it as hard science, puleeees. Its all speculation IMO.

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
22 Oct 05

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
"If I hear the word "proof" one more time my head will implode"

"Proof!"

Poooof!
Ahhhhhh! Um. Hmm. That's funny. My head exploded but I don't feel any different. How strange.

U
All Bark, No Bite

Playing percussion

Moves
23 Oct 05
1 edit

Spectometry has no way of conclusively measuring radioactive decay. If scientists can only come up with approximations in the laboratory, how the plague will they be able to measure it from lightyears away and then tout it as hard science, puleeees. Its all speculation IMO.
Just because something is an approximation doesn't mean it is invalid. They aren't such a bad estimates as to make the science meaningless.

Scientists always come up with approximations. No one ever publishes anything in a reputible journal giving an exact number for anything like that. Science is all about approximations and I don't see how that makes it any less useful. That is like saying something is "only" a theory.

They measure the radioactive isotopes of molecules in far away stars through spectroscopy. Every atom absorbs photons at specific wavelengths unique to that particular isotope of that atom. We can see these as dark lines in the light from stars, which is normally a continuum across all wavelengths. We use this to measure the abundances of various types of atoms in any star or interstellar gas cloud. It IS a hard science. Just because you don't take the time to understand something doesn't mean it is only speculation.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
24 Oct 05

Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
Just because something is an approximation doesn't mean it is invalid. They aren't such a bad estimates as to make the science meaningless.

Scientists always come up with approximations. No one ever publishes anything in a reputible journal giving an exact number for anything like that. Science is all about approximations and I don't see ho ...[text shortened]... t because you don't take the time to understand something doesn't mean it is only speculation.
Just because something is an approximation doesn't mean it is invalid.

I never said it was invalid. I said it can't be used as conclusive proof for the age of the universe. It has some base assumptions I don't agree with.

They aren't such a bad estimates as to make the science meaningless.

Absolutely, but they are meaningless when touted as undisputable evidence.

Scientists always come up with approximations. No one ever publishes anything in a reputible journal giving an exact number for anything like that. Science is all about approximations and I don't see how that makes it any less useful. That is like saying something is "only" a theory.

Read my post again, you seem to be jumping to conclusions I never meant. I never said approximations are bad, just how approximate will it be, when studied, instead in the lab using control samples, through a spectrometer? How do you accound for the fact that the sample you are studying is not a closed system? How do you account for all the contamination you can't possibly be seeing from so far away?

They measure the radioactive isotopes of molecules in far away stars through spectroscopy. Every atom absorbs photons at specific wavelengths unique to that particular isotope of that atom. We can see these as dark lines in the light from stars, which is normally a continuum across all wavelengths. We use this to measure the abundances of various types of atoms in any star or interstellar gas cloud.

Yes. And your point is? I already knew this.

It IS a hard science.

Not when you are using a spectrometer to measure the rate of radioactive decay it's not. Hard science relies on experimental, quantifiable data and the scientific method. How do you measure the initial concentrations of the parent isotope? How do you measure the initial contentrations of the daughter isotope? How do you measure the ratio between the two once your down to the half-life? How do you account for an open system?

Just because you don't take the time to understand something doesn't mean it is only speculation.

Oooh! 😲 I took the time, all right. I didn't make the previous statement about approximation without consideration. 😴

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
24 Oct 05

here's a few "approximations" of the age of the rocks : notice how none say anything close to 6000 years.
Technique Age Range (billion years)
uranium-lead 3.60±0.05
lead-lead 3.56±0.10
lead-lead 3.74±0.12
lead-lead 3.62±0.13
rubidium-strontium 3.64±0.06
rubidium-strontium 3.62±0.14
rubidium-strontium 3.67±0.09
rubidium-strontium 3.66±0.10
rubidium-strontium 3.61±0.22
rubidium-strontium 3.56±0.14
lutetium-hafnium 3.55±0.22
samarium-neodymium 3.56±0.20
(compiled from Dalrymple, 1991)

Moves
24 Oct 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
here's a few "approximations" of the age of the rocks : notice how none say anything close to 6000 years.
Technique Age Range (billion years)
uranium-lead 3.60±0.05
lead-lead 3.56±0.10
lead-lead 3.74±0.12
lead-lead 3.62±0.13
rubidium-strontium 3.64±0.06
rubidium-strontium 3.62±0.14
rubidium-strontium 3.67±0.09
rubidium-stronti ...[text shortened]... 14
lutetium-hafnium 3.55±0.22
samarium-neodymium 3.56±0.20
(compiled from Dalrymple, 1991)
They used some of these dating methods on something that was still alive and it was dated a few million years old. Puleeeees, Froggy... That dating stuff is all speculation.

l

Moves
24 Oct 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
They used some of these dating methods on something that was still alive and it was dated a few million years old. Puleeeees, Froggy... That dating stuff is all speculation.
You know, it would be nice if you had actual sources instead of spewing out general claims. You see, your claim that they tested it on "something that was alive" just doesn't cut it. Almost sounds like you pulled it out of your a**. Not saying that you did, but if you want some credibility, how about you tell us WHAT they tested, WHEN this happened, and WHERE it was tested.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
24 Oct 05

Scientists proved God doesn't exist.

I don't have to show my sources if you don't have to show yours!

Moves
24 Oct 05

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Sciences/LifeScience/PhysicalAnthropology/EvolutionFact/Radioactive/Radioactive.htm

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
24 Oct 05
2 edits

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Sciences/LifeScience/PhysicalAnthropology/EvolutionFact/Radioactive/Radioactive.htm
junk science site.. you got any REAL science sites?

btw they are talking about carbon-14 as far as living things tested, and NOT the methods I quoted from.

N

Moves
24 Oct 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Scientists proved God doesn't exist.

I don't have to show my sources if you don't have to show yours!
Scientist try to proof anything - even if its false!

In this case, when scientist normally are not happy about their findings, they put it in the "It cannot exist" basket.

Which means - God does exist.