how is one defined as being Jewish?

how is one defined as being Jewish?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
31 May 09

this is a serious question, i need to know, whether the definition of being Jewish is on a faith or on ethnicity basis. Any insight into the matter is most appreciated.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
this is a serious question, i need to know, whether the definition of being Jewish is on a faith or on ethnicity basis. Any insight into the matter is most appreciated.
some religions you have to be born into, others you may convert to

I think you can converted to judaism but only if you marry

s

At the Revolution

Moves
31 May 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
some religions you have to be born into, others you may convert to

I think you can converted to judaism but only if you marry
I do know that if you're born to a Jewish father and a Gentile mother, you have to convert. If you're born to a Jewish mother, though, whether the father is Jewish or Gentile, you're automatically Jewish.

d

Moves
31 May 09

At all depends who asks and who answers.

Formally a Jew, in the eye of the strict Jewish Orthodoxy is one who is born to a Jewish mother of was converted according to the Torah.

rc

Moves
31 May 09

Originally posted by scherzo
I do know that if you're born to a Jewish father and a Gentile mother, you have to convert. If you're born to a Jewish mother, though, whether the father is Jewish or Gentile, you're automatically Jewish.
ok, but what if i start to eat ham sandwiches and it turns out that I am not even circumcised at birth and never attend the synagogue, will i still be considered Jewish? is that really the case?

s

At the Revolution

Moves
31 May 09

ok, but what if i start to eat ham sandwiches and it turns out that I am not even circumcised at birth and never attend the synagogue, will i still be considered Jewish? is that really the case?
I'm actually not sure about that. In Islam, when you do these things you're still considered Muslim; you're just considered a bad Muslim. You'd have to ask someone born of a Jewish mother or an Orthodox Jew on this site.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
02 Jun 09

there is Jewish by ethnicity and Jewish by faith. Sammy Davis Jr. was Jewish by conversion of faith, not by birth. There are of course many self identified Jews who hold no particular faith whatsoever. Theirs is probably the only religion/culture with that type of duality. puzzling for sure

z

Moves
02 Jun 09

How about:

'Get a sharp knife, and cut of the tip of a baby boy's penis, causing severe pain and trauma, all in the belief that 'God wants it''?

d

Moves
02 Jun 09

I'm actually not sure about that. In Islam, when you do these things you're still considered Muslim; you're just considered a bad Muslim. You'd have to ask someone born of a Jewish mother or an Orthodox Jew on this site.
It is the same in Judaism.

F

Moves
02 Jun 09

Originally posted by znsho
How about:

'Get a sharp knife, and cut of the tip of a baby boy's penis, causing severe pain and trauma, all in the belief that 'God wants it''?
(Doesn't even be a sharp knife.)

P

Moves
02 Jun 09

I'm not an orthodox Jew, but it's essentially the same.

Although there are religious fanatics who might say you aren't a "real" jew if you don't abide by a given number of rules.

z

Moves
02 Jun 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
(Doesn't even be a sharp knife.)
Rusty, blunt knife OK, as long as God approves?

When are you Jews (and Muslims) gonna realise - it is child abuse!

rc

Moves
02 Jun 09

Rusty, blunt knife OK, as long as God approves?

When are you Jews (and Muslims) gonna realise - it is child abuse!
dude i do not mean to be rude, really, but its not very helpful, is it?

z

Moves
02 Jun 09

dude i do not mean to be rude, really, but its not very helpful, is it?
In what way is it not helpful to try and prevent child abuse?

rc

Moves
02 Jun 09

In what way is it not helpful to try and prevent child abuse?
to prevent child abuse is a good and virtuous endeavor my friend, what i meant was, and perhaps it was not clear, how does this help me to find out what the true definition of being Jewish is, whether its based on faith or ethnicity or whether one can be a Jew and then be disqualified because of some action contrary to the tenets of Judaism.