If it's proven there's no god

If it's proven there's no god

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
13 Apr 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Has any 'scientific proof' of God's non-existence been published in a reputable scientific journal?

i think they are working on santa first.

There's some evidence that women are harassed and abused more than
men are for writing (often similar comments) in the same internet venues.

they are also harassed in the work place, in the street and just about everywhere they come into contact with men.

of course i dont care about that because im a knuckle dragging, white supremacist, british neanderthal, who just wants to howl with his misogynistic wolf pack.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Apr 15

Originally posted by stellspalfie
IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THE PREMISE IS FALSE!!!!!! ahem, sorry about that, im usually a very calm person.

it is simply a thought exercise to explore the what if's. by answering a hypothetical it does not make the hypothetical true. for example --

who would win in a fight between galactica and enterprise?

would you answer by saying "I do NOT acc ...[text shortened]... d smash the enterprise)".

anyhoo im missing new game of thrones writting this crap...im off.
The one thing you are missing is that Christianity is a lifestyle choice, it replenishes us, it fortifies us.

An argument of whether a Battlestar would win over a Galaxy-class starship is mere entertainment, and is thus meaningless as a driving force in my life. There is no price to put on it either way. God *is* life, and is therefore much more important. I wouldn't hesitate to think about who would win in your hypothetical fight because it IS meaningless. It doesn't matter in any way who would win, it all comes down to opinion.

The question of "Is God real?" is a question with far more importance. It does matter. The atheist lives his life without God, and offers to tempt believers with their outlook, as if God were unnecessary. This is why they can confront theists with this subtle "mind game", because *they* feel it has no importance. But it does, to us.

By asking us to entertain this thought, you are asking us to put thought into the idea of denying God, of living without him, believing that he is not real. This is counter to our very existence. It is tempting God and it borders on blasphemy. And we've heard people try this same maneuver before. We're just not going there because we're not buying it.

D

Moves
13 Apr 15

Moves
13 Apr 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
The one thing you are missing is that Christianity is a lifestyle choice, it replenishes us, it fortifies us.

An argument of whether a Battlestar would win over a Galaxy-class starship is mere entertainment, and is thus meaningless as a driving force in my life. There is no price to put on it either way. God *is* life, and is therefore much more import ...[text shortened]... d people try this same maneuver before. We're just not going there because we're not buying it.
ah, we arrive at the truth. you are worried that to imagine no god is possibly blasphemous. sonship and rj didnt seem to think so...

but if thats how you feel then fair enough.

Moves
13 Apr 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Given that I wrote nothing about Stellspalfie being a 'knuckle dragging,
white supremacist, british Neanderthal...' (no stereotype of Neanderthals
from me), his sarcastic 'confession' was superfluous. Perhaps Stellspalfie
(like some heterosexual white men in the Debates forum) is trying to play
the victim of 'politically correct' bias here.

once again, i find your comments offensive.

rc

Moves
13 Apr 15

[b] Given that I wrote nothing about Stellspalfie being a 'knuckle dragging,
white supremacist, british Neanderthal...' (no stereotype of Neanderthals
from me), his sarcastic 'confession' was superfluous. Perhaps Stellspalfie
(like some heterosexual white men in the Debates forum) is trying to play
the victim of 'politically correct' bias here.

once again, i find your comments offensive.[/b]
strangely i find them rather appealing, cant say why?

rc

Moves
13 Apr 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne

An argument of whether a Battlestar would win over a Galaxy-class starship is mere entertainment, and is thus meaningless as a driving force in my life. There is no price to put on it either way. God *is* life, and is therefore much more import ...[text shortened]... d people try this same maneuver before. We're just not going there because we're not buying it.
you would be as well as joining a table tennis club as going to a church, in fact, it would be better for your health. Lifestyle choice, thats hilarious.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Apr 15

Originally posted by LemonJello
If you worked where I do and someone
told you things you were doing and saying was offending them, then you
said this they would take it to HR and you'd have a problem.

But I do not work where you do. Remember what our good friend Suzianne tells us: counterfactual thinking is pointless and moot. So sorry...but thanks for playing, KJ ...[text shortened]... g offended. Being asked a hypothetical question of this nature ain't one of them, though. Duh.
Again, being offended does not have to pass your truth detector, I've not
followed your conversation with Suzianne the points on who is right or
wrong doesn't matter to me. I'm just here informing you, that just because
you don't mean to offend, or worse think little of someone else who is
offended does not change that they are offended and you may have some
thing to do with that!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Apr 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
you would be as well as joining a table tennis club as going to a church, in fact, it would be better for your health. Lifestyle choice, thats hilarious.
Is that why JWs have Kingdom Halls instead of churches?

Über-Nerd

Moves
14 Apr 15

Trying to get back on track here... the thread is not about whether God exists or not. Therefore, vehement claims that God does exist (that the premiss is false) are off the mark. Of course, it is possible to come to believe that God does not exist, even if God does exist; the issue is: does that necessarily lead to loss of faith? I offer two examples, one litarary, one academic.

One: in "The Brothers Karamazov," Dostoievski proposes that the Inquisitors know perfectly well that much of Christian dogma is false or invented, but nonetheless consider that mankind requires moral guidance and that the Christian Church is best suited to provide it. No one would follow a priest who openly disavowed the dogma, 'therefore' the priesthood must continue to maintain the dogma at least outwardly (even they don't really believe God exists), for the moral sake of the flock. I think Dostoievski's point deserves serious attention.

Two: Rev. Don Cupitt takes Dostoievski one step farther: Cupitt openly asserts that God does not exist and has written extensively on how to maintain Christian faith nonetheless. See, for example, his book "Taking Leave of God."

Über-Nerd

Moves
14 Apr 15

Originally posted by vivify
If it could actually be proven that the Christian god doesn't exist, how would that change your life, if you're a Christian? Is this something any of you here have given real thought to?

Assume for this thread that this hypothetical really happened; if (somehow) proof was given that even Christians here HAD to admit that God doesn't exist, here are my que ...[text shortened]... d appreciate thoughts from Christians (or other theists with the question applied to their god).
Well, vivify, It looks like you got your answer. Even the merest suggestion that there might, maybe, possibly, hypothetically, be a reason to doubt God's existence evokes a strong (one might even say visceral) reaction.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Apr 15
5 edits

its not a bad attempt, i commend you for having a go. i have a few questions (remaining in the hypothetical non-god world) if i may?

you answer was mainly written in the past tense, reflecting on how you would feel about your life before finding out god did not exist.

I think that my answers were couched in the attitude of remembering what it was like to live as if God did not exist. It may be difficult for some to believe, but I without knowing God for some years.

how do you think it would effect your life going forward? would you still go to church?

I do not really "go to church". I am a living and organic part of the church. We gather together.

I think your question is would I continue to gather with the church if it were to be proved to me that God did not exist.

That's hard to answer.
Do you have any easier questions?

You see, we gather because we are all experiencing someone / something in which we are drawn together for mutual understanding. The world does not understand the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

You are asking "Okay, someone proves that the Holy Spirit doesn't exist. Will you still gather together for praise, encouragement, love, practicality, joy, and God's eternal purpose and plans ? ? "

I don't know.

would you still pray? what aspects of your religion would you discard, what would you keep?

Probably I would think such as honestly speaking with God would drop off.
This is a pretty wild thought experiment.

And returning to the vomit of living as an unbeliever has exactly zero appeal.

are you referring to your own personal life or are all atheists lives 'vomit'?

My own experience is being referred to for the most part.
I am far too smart to ever insinuate that the average atheist is in anything other than a utopia, heaven like existence.

I know that there's nothing about any atheist's life here that he would even possibly want changed. They're all already perfect people in every regard.

Moves
14 Apr 15
1 edit

strangely i find them rather appealing, cant say why?
ahh, one of my fellow british, heterosexual, white brethren....have you spotted any females, or ethnic minorities we can shout out, around here today? keep your eyes peeled there's a can of tennents super in it for you.

Moves
14 Apr 15

didnt you 'shop' around for your religion?

Moves
14 Apr 15

Originally posted by sonship
its not a bad attempt, i commend you for having a go. i have a few questions (remaining in the hypothetical non-god world) if i may?

you answer was mainly written in the past tense, reflecting on how you would feel about your life before finding out god did not exist.

I think that my answers were couched in the attitude of rememberin ...[text shortened]... e would even possibly want changed. They're all already perfect people in every regard.
see, its interesting to explore hypothetical questions. i dont think it brought any shadow of doubt into your belief in god. it did give us a little glimpse into who you are beyond the usual following the party line, filibuster.

its a big gap between saying you dont have a perfect life and calling it vomit! i hope in your case it was the kinda vomit that comes from having too much fun.