Individualism & the human spirit

Individualism & the human spirit

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
25 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @philokalia
Did I not literally explain to you why I do not choose to identify with a particular ethnic group? LOL.
So you're just "white", OK. Does that mean ~ according to your race-intelligence theory -that comparable adults in East Asia where you live are statistically likely to be more intelligent than you [according to "IQ"], and that your fellow American adults who are "black" are statistically likely to be less intelligent than you? Is that what your race-intelligence thing amounts to?

Moves
25 Feb 18

Originally posted by @fmf
So you're just "white", OK. Does that mean ~ according to your race-intelligence theory -that comparable adults in East Asia where you live are statistically likely to be more intelligent than you [according to "IQ"], and that your fellow American adults who are "black" are statistically likely to be less intelligent than you? Is that what your race-intelligence thing amounts to?
Whatever his response is, I’m betting that there won’t be any sign of a “Lol” an “oh geez” or an “Ummmmmm” in it.

S. Korea

Moves
25 Feb 18

Right, that is what the averages show to be.

A lot of people talk about the Flynn effect and how environments can dictate the overall performance on the IQ test.

Other people talk about intelligence as heritable and rooted in the material bodies that we are given, one's genes having an effect. Just as such, one would expect the 4 children of two people with IQs of 120 and 130 to have high IQ children. Two peopl who are above 190 cm would also likewise have children who are tall.

What do you think about those ideas?

Of course, there are too many variables and we do not know what is what.

Moves
25 Feb 18

Right, that is what the averages show to be.

A lot of people talk about the Flynn effect and how environments can dictate the overall performance on the IQ test.

Other people talk about intelligence as heritable and rooted in the material bodies that we are given, one's genes having an effect. Just as such, one would expect the 4 children of two ...[text shortened]... about those ideas?

Of course, there are too many variables and we do not know what is what.
When you said you are “white” what where you referring to if it was not your ethnic group?

S. Korea

Moves
25 Feb 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
When you said you are “white” what where you referring to if it was not your ethnic group?
My race.

I believe races exist. But yeah, I am well aware that there are fun debates about that, too.

F

Moves
25 Feb 18
1 edit

What do you think about those ideas?
Nothing really. It's not very interesting. When I interact with people, I give IQ no more thought than I do blood type. The degree to which people seem smart - and perform smartly - varies so much between individuals that I don't really get what's interesting about the broad generalizations rooted in the race-intelligence thing that you appear to be fixated on.

S. Korea

Moves
25 Feb 18

Nothing really. It's not very interesting. When I interact with people, I give IQ no more thought than I do blood type. The degree to which people seem smart - and perform smartly - varies so much between individuals that I don't really get what's interesting about the broad generalizations rooted in the race-intelligence thing that you appear to be fixated on.
Right.

I see what you are saying and I probably generally agree. I can imagine that there are people with very high IQs but that only reflects an ability and does not reflect their actual level of knowledge.

I merely think it is a useful tool for measuring intelligence in general, and that, generally speaking, a group of people with an avg IQ of 120 would be far more likely to produce people I'd deem intellectuals than a group of people with an verage IQ of 80.

It is a number that has its uses.

F

Moves
25 Feb 18

I merely think it is a useful tool for measuring intelligence in general, and that, generally speaking, a group of people with an avg IQ of 120 would be far more likely to produce people I'd deem intellectuals than a group of people with an verage IQ of 80.

It is a number that has its uses.
"Useful" in what way?

F

Moves
25 Feb 18

I can imagine that there are people with very high IQs but that only reflects an ability and does not reflect their actual level of knowledge.
So what?

S. Korea

Moves
25 Feb 18

"Useful" in what way?
They have shown that high IQ correlates with job performance, and that even there are many occupations where the average IQ has to be quite high.

The military of the US has used IQ on their ASVAB tests for decades & decades, and makes promotion decisions as well as other ones based off of what that number is.

When dealing with and managing a great number of people, that IQ can be important.

It can also be used to assess a situation. A judge who is looking at a 17 year old kid before him with an IQ of 80 can be more lenient if he chooses, or if they have an IQ of 120 can be more likely to be lenient as well, but in a different way, or be more likely to punish them harder if the crime is more grievous.

F

Moves
25 Feb 18

They have shown that high IQ correlates with job performance, and that even there are many occupations where the average IQ has to be quite high.

The military of the US has used IQ on their ASVAB tests for decades & decades, and makes promotion decisions as well as other ones based off of what that number is.

When dealing with and managing a grea ...[text shortened]... , but in a different way, or be more likely to punish them harder if the crime is more grievous.
I thought you said "Of course, there are too many variables and we do not know what is what."

S. Korea

Moves
25 Feb 18

I thought you said "Of course, there are too many variables and we do not know what is what."
The reason why someone has a higher IQ as an individual is not relevant to how we should deal with them.

However, certainly, if the cause of low IQ is purely environmental, then one would think that it would be of MASSIVE interest how we make it so that groups who are adverisely affected by poor environments get the best possible environment.

F

Moves
25 Feb 18

However, certainly, if the cause of low IQ is purely environmental, then one would think that it would be of MASSIVE interest how we make it so that groups who are adverisely affected by poor environments get the best possible environment.
You think there is something interesting about saying that groups who are adversely affected by poor environments should get the best possible environment or something interesting about the fact that you've fixated on "IQ" in order to arrive at the idea?

S. Korea

Moves
25 Feb 18

Yeah, honestly, I think it is all quite an interesting topic. The question of what affects people, and what is the best way for people to live, is very interesting.

How si that not an interesting topic?

I guess different strokes for different folks.

Moves
25 Feb 18

My race.
How is your “white race” not an ethnic group?