1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 03:32
    Spirituality is concerned with things of the spirit, which I take to mean our each and every human spirit ~ which, in harness with cognitive abilities, is the basis for our capacity for [or contribution to] abstract interaction and imagination.

This in turn, to my way of thinking, forms the basis for our uniqueness and individuality ~ for which others might use the word "soul" and, further to that, ascribe to it supernatural attributes.

But whether we subscribe to supernatural explanations or not, I think we can agree that our spirits/souls and our individualism are two closely related aspects of the human condition.

"The exercise through public participation of our obligations to the body of the citizenry." That's how Canadian philosopher and historian John Ralston Saul defines "individualism".

How does your personal conception of a spiritual dimension in your life affect your philosophy of individualism and how you see yourself relating to the society in which you live?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 04:32
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Spirituality is concerned with things of the spirit, which I take to mean our each and every human spirit ~ which, in harness with cognitive abilities, is the basis for our capacity for [or contribution to] abstract interaction and imagination.

This in turn, to my way of thinking, forms the basis for our uniqueness and individuality ~ for which others might ...[text shortened]... philosophy of individualism and how you see yourself relating to the society in which you live?
    I am God and as such I try to extend every grace within my power
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 04:38
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Good luck for the day you meet the real God.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 04:39
    Assuming this is so, and if you perceive every other individual the same way as you perceive yourself, what are your guidelines for interactions between these Gods and what limitations would you hope there'd be on each God's individualism?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 04:58
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Good luck for the day you meet the real God.
    No need for luck
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 05:00
    Assuming this is so, and if you perceive every other individual the same way as you perceive yourself, what are your guidelines for interactions between these Gods and what limitations would you hope there'd be on each God's individualism?
    Love me and I'll love you ten times back, hate me and you will know wrath . No grey areas
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 06:331 edit
    Love me and I'll love you ten times back, hate me and you will know wrath . No grey areas
    1.What have you done to demonstrate your divinity?
    2.What happens to someone that lacks belief in your divinity?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 09:43
    The human spirit is distinct from the human soul according to the New Testament.

The passage shows that to the Christian the word of God can help her to distinguish between the human soul and the human spirit.

"For the word of God is living and operative and sharper than a two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit ... " (Heb. 4:12a)

The two matters are stuck together - soul and spirit.
    And something sharp is needed to do this internal operation of dividing the two.

Why some people do not like the word of God is because, though they do not know what is happening, a piercing to their depths is occurring as the living God seeks to teach them -

"This is YOU, this is your SELF and your soul, precious. But t his is also YOU, your spiritual part which I God am trying to come into and mingle with."

The whole being of man is composed of "spirit and soul and body" (1 Thess. 5:23)

"And the God of peace Himself sanctify you wholly, and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Thes. 5:23)

This post has demonstrated that:
    1.) The human soul can be divided from the human spirit.
    2.) Man is composed of three parts - "spirit and soul and body".
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 10:35
    I am always wary of extremes.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 10:57
    Originally posted by @sonship
    This post has demonstrated that:
    1.) The human soul can be divided from the human spirit.
    2.) Man is composed of three parts - "spirit and soul and body".
    Thanks for the information about your beliefs which pertain to the premise of the OP. It would be interesting to hear your answer to the OP question too.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 11:381 edit
    How does your personal conception of a spiritual dimension in your life affect your philosophy of individualism and how you see yourself relating to the society in which you live?
    Because of my spirituality I don’t see myself as being alone in this world. Even though I have family and friends, I am still alone, a single entity facing oblivion. My spirituality gives me a different perspective on this aloneness.
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 12:18
    In every conceivable way. Then again, not at all.

My "personal conception of a spiritual dimension" has no meaning without authorship of its definition and purpose. I cannot legitimately give meaning and definition to something immaterial from within myself without first acknowledging the existence of the creator of everything that exists. Otherwise there's no certainty of meaning.

One does not build a house on sand.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 12:22
    Originally posted by @secondson
    In every conceivable way. Then again, not at all.

My "personal conception of a spiritual dimension" has no meaning without authorship of its definition and purpose. I cannot legitimately give meaning and definition to something immaterial from within myself without first acknowledging the existence of the creator of everything that exists. Otherwise there's no certainty of meaning.

One does not build a house on sand.
    'In every conceivable way. Then again, not at all.'

For the love of.....

😞
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 12:251 edit
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Thanks for the succinct statement about how a "creator" gives you a sense of meaning. So, what about the OP question? The answer "In every conceivable way" might benefit from 2-3 different concrete examples.
  15. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 12:40
    I am curious. What makes you an individual?

I think there are people who play with thoughts and interesting ideas a lot, and who perhaps enjoy a lot of hobbies, etc.

But can we really say that everyone has some measured level of individualism?

I also think this buys into the gross cult of atomization where everyone is supposed to be as snowflake as possible to gain a snow. A lot to unpack with that sentence -- but do feel free to start unpacking.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree