Islam, not the religion of peace:

Islam, not the religion of peace:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
18 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I have said repeatedly that I believe the killings were an assassination.

And I have condemned what I have condemned.

What I have found interesting is how many people have gone further than just being appalled or incredulous at (the assassination aside) the nature of the protests and of the violence that there has been, and have gone further than just cond ...[text shortened]... ing the reality of the religious sensibilities that are at the heart of this cultural collision.
Oh I'm sure people are offended at the film, not sure many have actually seen it
or its trailer. I'm certain that more are offended at what has been said about the
film as people describe it, than those that have actually seen it. I'm also certain that
many like myself are offended at the level of hate that is being directed my country's
way as they do their level best to call the America the great Satan.
Kelly

Cape Town

Moves
18 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
I think peaceful protests were totally appropriate......
Why? Do you not support freedom of speech or do you feel the film amounts to 'hate speech' or something else that goes beyond the limits of free speech?
Do you think Americans should also hold peaceful protests against the way they are portrayed by some people as mentioned by Kelly?

I think the best reaction to something like this is to ignore it.
If however a tv station decided to air it as part of their regular programming, then a peaceful protest might be appropriate - but against the tv station, not the film producers.

F

Moves
18 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
Oh I'm sure people are offended at the film, not sure many have actually seen it or its trailer. I'm certain that more are offended at what has been said about the film as people describe it, than those that have actually seen it.
They have every right to be offended by the content of the film. And you have every right to be offended by what you have heard some have said about your country. Fortunately you are not protesting violently.

F

Moves
18 Sep 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
Why? Do you not support freedom of speech or do you feel the film amounts to 'hate speech' or something else that goes beyond the limits of free speech?
People protesting against something offensive is them exercising their freedom of speech.

F

Moves
18 Sep 12

I think the best reaction to something like this is to ignore it.
That is what I have chosen to do. I haven't joined any of the peaceful protests that have happened in my city.

F

Moves
18 Sep 12

Do you think Americans should also hold peaceful protests against the way they are portrayed by some people as mentioned by Kelly?
Sure. It would be appropriate for them to do that if it gave vent to their sense of being offended. I don't think it would have much effect on the way they are portrayed, just as I am sure there will be more Dutch Cartoons or Innocence Of Mohammed type things in the future, despite the makers of these things being told that what they are doing is offensive.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
18 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
Sure. It would be appropriate for them to do that if it gave vent to their sense of being offended. I don't think it would have much effect on the way they are portrayed, just as I am sure there will be more Dutch Cartoons or Innocence Of Mohammed type things in the future, despite the makers of these things being told that what they are doing is offensive.
The thing that isn't being said here too, there are more than just things that do
offend being done now, but threats. A dumb film if that was all it was is one thing,
but with threats and displays of violence it is quite difficult to compare the two
in size scope and intentions.
Kelly

F

Moves
18 Sep 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
The thing that isn't being said here too, there are more than just things that do offend being done now, but threats. A dumb film if that was all it was is one thing, but with threats and displays of violence it is quite difficult to compare the two in size scope and intentions.
What do you mean it "isn't being said here..."? I don't recall any poster here condoning the violence. I don't recall any post that has sought to deny that there has been violence, and "threats and displays of violence". It is absolutely right - and not "quite difficult" at all - to compare violent protest by people who are offended, on one hand, to non-violent protest, or a lack of resort to violence, by people who are offended - like you - on the other. The difference between the two is instructive.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
18 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
What do you mean it "isn't being said here..."? I don't recall any poster here condoning the violence. I don't recall any post that has sought to deny that there has been violence, and "threats and displays of violence". It is absolutely right - and not "quite difficult" at all - to compare violent protest by people who are offended, on one hand, to non-violent ...[text shortened]... are offended - like you - on the other. The difference between the two is instructive.
It wasn't a slam what I was going for, and you just said it better than I. The main
focus so far here has been the film was so bad...there were other points, but the
bad film was the focus. You pointed out very well I might add the diifferances
between what is happening there and here.
Kelly

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
That is what I have chosen to do. I haven't joined any of the peaceful protests that have happened in my city.
We have no objections to peaceful protests. It is the violent protests that cause property damage and loss of life that we Christians object to. 😏

P.S. Showing a film is not a violent act.

rc

Moves
18 Sep 12
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
The incidents just seem to extract hyperbole and innaccuracy from posters, like you not knowing remotely what you're talking about in terms of the internet and the film, others smearing 1,500,000,000 people with daft claims like "the whole Muslim world erupts with violence", and others talking sheer twaddle about Islamic beliefs having claimed laughably that the reaction from some people here has been just to make stuff up and pass it off as analysis.
The problem seems to me that, for various reasons not entirely clear, Islam and its
prophet seem to be viewed as being above any kind of reproach or criticism. Indeed
how does one go about criticising Islam and its prophet without incensing Muslims?
Where does the idea that Muhammad is above reproach and criticism stem from? I am
not saying that the film itself is a fair depiction, in fact, its nothing more than a
scurrilous attempt to offend Islamic sensibilities, never the less, the question remains,
how does one go about offering criticism of Islam and its prophet without offending Islamic sensibilities.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
19 Sep 12

People make jokes and characterizations of Jesus and I don't see people getting killed for it at all. I'm sure people are offended but I guess I would say is their God so small that there people should be offended enough to kill people? I actually however think the film was just an excuse. I think radicals are doing this more because of our support of Israel at least in the past. I would say radical Islam is not peaceful at all. Infidels convert or die !!!!

Manny

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
19 Sep 12
2 edits

Originally posted by menace71
People make jokes and characterizations of Jesus and I don't see people getting killed for it at all. I'm sure people are offended but I guess I would say is their God so small that there people should be offended enough to kill people? I actually however think the film was just an excuse. I think radicals are doing this more because of our support of Isra ...[text shortened]... ast. I would say radical Islam is not peaceful at all. Infidels convert or die !!!!

Manny
I agree, if Chrisitan's carried on like this everytime somebody insulted Jesus/Jehovah this forum would be full of threads condeming the reaction. There is too much tollerance of the regular Islamic over-reaction to the smallest "insult" to thier religion. The voilence should be outright condemed and without the political counterbalnce of distancing themselves from the film - it's a crappy little film - get over it!

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
19 Sep 12
1 edit

Yep, a lot of people just swallow all this hook, line and sinker.

I cant believe any of that stuff that comes from fox news,etc.

And I also think that the Muslims aren't as bad as the media make out, but what christian is actually going to find unbiased truth when they have found their new enemy 🙁

The "rulers" are trying to stage world events to suit scripture, and therefor , in the eyes of many christian americans, they are totally justified in dropping bombs on babies in Bhagdad as God is on their side too.

I read through this whole thread. Man, how sad.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Sep 12

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Yep, a lot of people just swallow all this hook, line and sinker.

I cant believe any of that stuff that comes from fox news,etc.

And I also think that the Muslims aren't as bad as the media make out, but what christian is actually going to find unbiased truth when they have found their new enemy 🙁

The "rulers" are trying to stage world events ...[text shortened]... es in Bhagdad as God is on their side too.

I read through this whole thread. Man, how sad.
I'm sorry what?
Hook line and sinker, you don't think 4 people were killed?
You don't think there are riots with people burning the American flag?
What is it that Fox has said you think is wrong?
What is that Fox has said that none of the other networks have said?
Kelly