1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 11:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    jaywill is just doing the best he can like everyone else. He feels that the message that he has is important and wants to share it, so what's the deal? i dont see how he has negated another's faith by doing it. He is not attacking anyone is he? really a little kindness can do great things!
    I merely asked what his intentions were, nothing more or less.

I wasn't negating anyones faith, i wasn't suggesting he was attacking anyone.

If you go back and read the posts your good friend Galvo had more to say on this than me, curious that you should respond to my post and not his.

Cherry picking?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 11:531 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I merely asked what his intentions were, nothing more or less.

I wasn't negating anyones faith, i wasn't suggesting he was attacking anyone.

If you go back and read the posts your good friend Galvo had more to say on this than me, curious that you should respond to my post and not his.

Cherry picking?
    ohhh dont let lord shark hear you say that! it would be like blood to a shark! i just thought that everyone, was giving Jaywill a raw deal and that a little kindness would go a long way! and although i replied to yours, the post was intended for everyone, myself included!
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 13:01
    Originally posted by jaywill
    One of the meanings of being "saved" in the Bible is receiving the gift of eternal redemption and eternal life. This thread is meant by me to focus on this aspect of the word "saved" and of this aspect of salvation as a gift received.

In this aspect of being saved it is a matter of receiving the One who has done the work, the finished work on behalf of ...[text shortened]... onstrate that it is easy to be saved forever in this specific aspect of the word "saved".
    Yes, it is easy for us to be saved, but as jaywill said, Jesus paid a terrible price for our redemption.

But you are correct in saying "salvation" is a gift received by faith in the Son of God and His redemptive work on the cross on our behalf.

Salvation, in the context of man being "saved" from the penalty of death and eternal separation from God, is eternal life.

This salvation is a complete salvation. Once received it can never be lost, nor will it ever be taken away.
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 14:361 edit
    sorry dude, gang rape and ultra violence is not my thing! Now you may ask yourself the question why should this be the case, surely there is a reason why a professing Christian may find it objectionable? yes yes and the answer is here,

(Philippians 4:8-9) . . .Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, ...[text shortened]... then again one needs a finely tuned sense of morality and a conscience that is working.

Rape and a bit of the ultra-violence are not meant to be chaste and virtuous. The book and the film are meant to be the savage portrayal of what it is. Then Alex gets caught up in a system that is just as savage. Absence of rape and ultra-violence does not necessarily equate to absence of savagery and violence, and that is one of the points of the movie.

I personally am just as Christian, or not, as the next person, and it has nothing to do with a made up story that I read or view. It has nothing to do with whether I wallow about the lowest common denominator of human society. It has everything to do with how I treat my fellow human.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 17:53
    Originally posted by josephw
    Yes, it is easy for us to be saved, but as jaywill said, Jesus paid a terrible price for our redemption.

But you are correct in saying "salvation" is a gift received by faith in the Son of God and His redemptive work on the cross on our behalf.

Salvation, in the context of man being "saved" from the penalty of death and eternal separation from God, is ...[text shortened]... is a complete salvation. Once received it can never be lost, nor will it ever be taken away.
    So you've recieved this salvation?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 20:29
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Rape and a bit of the ultra-violence are not meant to be chaste and virtuous. The book and the film are meant to be the savage portrayal of what it is. Then Alex gets caught up in a system that is just as savage. Absence of rape and ultra-violence does not necessarily equate to absence of savagery and violence, and that is one of the points of the movie.
    ...[text shortened]... t common denominator of human society. It has everything to do with how I treat my fellow human.
    mmm, yes i understand what you are saying, that is why i stated that its not for me, because i realise that you are a free moral agent. However, one must be at least careful and selective with what one takes into ones mind, is it not the case?
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 20:451 edit
    mmm, yes i understand what you are saying, that is why i stated that its not for me, because i realise that you are a free moral agent. However, one must be at least careful and selective with what one takes into ones mind, is it not the case?
    Its a good question,Robbie. Sometimes I dont know how selective we can be with what comes into our minds. In the case of A Clockwork Orange, sure , you can just not see it but its going to be hard to get around your whole life without seeings things that are disturbing. Dreams come to mind. And then there's the trauma asscoiated with seeing car crash victims. Just two examples there.
    It is how we think about the world that makes it good or bad. Anyway I'm certainly not advocating seeing stuff that you dont want . I am , however , reminded of the movie "Stand By Me". Four boys bought together by the prospect of seeing a dead body. A dead body that was of a known youth in their area. What motivates these boys for they seem like they could've been just about anyone? and if you were their parents would you stop them? Why?
  8. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 05:55
    I am not terribly selective about what I take to mind. What I take to heart is another matter. 😉
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 07:40
    Originally posted by Badwater
    I am not terribly selective about what I take to mind. What I take to heart is another matter. 😉
    ah yes but where does it initially resonate, yes in the mind, and only afterwards percolates to our heart. The point of the matter i think is this, is that we have a moral choice, do we not? Karoly Poly mentions that we cannot filter out 'disturbing images', which is essentially true, to an extent, however, does it therefore mean that i need to choose, 'disturbing images', as a form of entertainment? this is an entirely different matter is it not? If i was living in first century Rome, if i was a Christian , would i visit the Colosseum and watch people being killed for entertainment? Why might it be viewed as objectionable? why indeed is it construed that watching people being killed is entertaining? what if i put a veneer upon it, even as the ancient Romans did, perhaps an intellectual argument? does that make it perhaps more palatable?
  10. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 08:32
    I don't disagree with what you're saying at all, Robbie, and I think it's a matter of to each their own in knowing what they can be exposed to and not be engulfed by it. I, personally, am conscious of fabricated images or thoughts or ideas and treat them as such. The things that are not fabricated I do not shy away from, lest I pretend they do not exist or adopt an out-of-sight, out-of-mind attitude. But that works for me and that isn't an approach that everyone can or should use.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 12:32
    ah yes but where does it initially resonate, yes in the mind, and only afterwards percolates to our heart. The point of the matter i think is this, is that we have a moral choice, do we not? Karoly Poly mentions that we cannot filter out 'disturbing images', which is essentially true, to an extent, however, does it therefore mean that i need to cho ...[text shortened]... ent Romans did, perhaps an intellectual argument? does that make it perhaps more palatable?
    When in Rome... (Do as the arcturians).
    I know. Modern (and ancient) enterntainment is certainly questionable ,at best.
    However I feel it important to understand the "Rome" of our day to be able to transcend it. Yes..I feel it utterly important to be able to "rub shoulders" with the locals to be able to put into place real change. Of course the JW's have their own methods. I wonder what their convertion rate is?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 12:45
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    When in Rome... (Do as the arcturians).
    I know. Modern (and ancient) enterntainment is certainly questionable ,at best.
    However I feel it important to understand the "Rome" of our day to be able to transcend it. Yes..I feel it utterly important to be able to "rub shoulders" with the locals to be able to put into place real change. Of course the JW's have their own methods. I wonder what their convertion rate is?
    again an intellectual veneer.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 13:27
    again an intellectual veneer.
    I know our stars are the same colour but mine is going to turn orange before yours😛 ...and you know orange is my favourite colour.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 13:51
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I know our stars are the same colour but mine is going to turn orange before yours😛 ...and you know orange is my favourite colour.
    yellow is mine, now please Karoly Poly you shall explain why it is necessary to view a person being killed in order to understand it and transcend it?
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 18:24
    yellow is mine, now please Karoly Poly you shall explain why it is necessary to view a person being killed in order to understand it and transcend it?
    Like I earlier contended: when in Rome you must first take on the local habits to be able to trancsend them. If you abbhor murder, for example, you must walk with murderers to be able to really change their ways. As did Jesus, did he not? Intellectual veneer? I think not . For this is one of the most down-to-earth truths I can think of.
    As for why humanity finds itself in this despicable situation I proffered a quote by grandaddy Burroughs some threads ago. It went like this: The nature of our universe is warlike. There may be other universes but there is no escaping the fact that the one we find ourselves in is thus. (Somehting like that, you get the gist). I believe that quote went unchallenged at the time and now you have your second chance to show us otherwise. For if you cannot, you shall get down and dirty with the rest of us and roll in the gutters, and drink cheap wine, and witness all sorts of abysmall negative energy forms , playing out their twisted little essences in the name of Transformation and Light. So that you may be the straw that breaks the back of this sorded hallucination that we call everyday life (and DEATH). Deal?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree