It is Easy to Be Saved Forever

It is Easy to Be Saved Forever

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
15 Feb 10

Originally posted by Proper Knob
It's dangers?!

What do you think those are Rob?
its appeal to nationalism! it was anti English, and while our cousins south of the border have not treated us kindly generally, it does not mean that one should tar them all with the same brush. i loathe nationalism, its perverse and stupid.

its appeal to negative base emotions especially hatred. from what i can remember there is a scene at the start where the mans wife is taken away to be raped on her wedding day by some English Lord. Now what is that intended to make us feel? yes that is correct it invokes our sense of injustice for it tramples upon everything that we deem good and virtuous and thus it appeals to negative hatred and bitterness. i am sorry Noobster but i dont want to feel hatred and embittered, nor do i want some movie inciting me towards it.

these are what i think are dangerous.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
15 Feb 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
its appeal to nationalism! it was anti English, and while our cousins south of the border have not treated us kindly generally, it does not mean that one should tar them all with the same brush. i loathe nationalism, its perverse and stupid.

its appeal to negative base emotions especially hatred. from what i can remember there is a scene at the ...[text shortened]... tered, nor do i want some movie inciting me towards it.

these are what i think are dangerous.
Rob, Braveheart is about the First War of Scottish Independence, you can hardly have the characters sat round with flowers in their hair singing 'Kumbaya'.

What did you expect from a film about William Wallace? I imagine there was a large amount of anit-English and nationalist sentiments at that point in history, and with good reason. There were large scale atrocities carried out by the English, and to just sweep them all under the carpet seems a tad daft to me.

rc

Moves
15 Feb 10

Rob, Braveheart is about the First War of Scottish Independence, you can hardly have the characters sat round with flowers in their hair singing 'Kumbaya'.

What did you expect from a film about William Wallace? I imagine there was a large amount of anit-English and nationalist sentiments at that point in history, and with good reason. There were larg ...[text shortened]... arried out by the English, and to just sweep them all under the carpet seems a tad daft to me.
i do not deny the historical element dear Noobster, what i object to is having my emotions manipulated in such a negative way. You are correct though, what did i expect? i dont know, i went there on a recommendation!

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
15 Feb 10

i do not deny the historical element dear Noobster, what i object to is having my emotions manipulated in such a negative way. You are correct though, what did i expect? i dont know, i went there on a recommendation!
Which brings me back to my first point, if you can't emotionally handle films with graphic violence in them, don't watch them. It's that simple.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
15 Feb 10

Of course you are right, Robbie. Graphic violence serves not much purpose other than to enterntain.However , I would say its better to watch violence, than to commit it. Its better to shoot someone on a video game than in real life. And , after all, is that not what is going on here? Are we not fulfiilling some sort of demi-urge for violence/destruction/power-type roles?
Humanity historically has come down to the lowest common denominator, despite spiritual/evolutionary development. Defend yourselves against an attacker and then chase the attacker and even perhaps re-invade for the sake of future peace (at least on paper). And so it has gone with endless wars until, slowly , people start to realize than by killing others they are killing others childrens and other innocents, etc. And through this painful, barbaric evolution humanitarianism has developped beyond a good idea.
There are of course pockets of the world that are still living in the dark ages as far as human advancement is concerned, but I think that with the advent of modern technologies (like the internet) and this devlopment in "collective human understaning", which has now been hard-wired into our genes on top of our origonal barbaric natures, we ,as a species truly have the power to move into the light, towards real equality and justice for all.
If we make it, it will be remembered as an often pointless, bloody road. No doubt violence in movies ,(and violent motives in nearly all the other arts), will serve as a priceless, yet only psycological, learning point in our evolution that our younger, and initially more stupid generations can continue to learn from.
Braveheart is a very good example of this, and just as I take my hat off to you Robbie for taking such a pacafistic stance, I cant help but feel Braveheart may in the end serve to lower tensions between the Sctottish and the English and give some sort of poetic justice for the Scots, who were truly oppressed.

rc

Moves
15 Feb 10
1 edit

Which brings me back to my first point, if you can't emotionally handle films with graphic violence in them, don't watch them. It's that simple.
its not a question of not handling them, its a question of 'flip sake, why is watching people being killed entertaining! ', thus its not me that has the problem but all those who view gratuitous violence as entertaining!

rc

Moves
15 Feb 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Of course you are right, Robbie. Graphic violence serves not much purpose other than to enterntain.However , I would say its better to watch violence, than to commit it. Its better to shoot someone on a video game than in real life. And , after all, is that not what is going on here? Are we not fulfiilling some sort of demi-urge for violence/destructio ...[text shortened]... and the English and give some sort of poetic justice for the Scots, who were truly oppressed.
its very well said Karoly, but it shall take more than a film to eradicate hundreds of years of history, truth of the matter is, most people like a target to hit! take away their target and they are left wondering.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
15 Feb 10

its not a question of not handling them, its a question of 'flip sake, why is watching people being killed entertaining! ', thus its not me that has the problem but all those who view gratuitous violence as entertaining!
We're just going to go round and round here as usual.

Don't watch them and move on.

rc

Moves
16 Feb 10

We're just going to go round and round here as usual.

Don't watch them and move on.
i like watching the magic roundabout go round and round as well as bagpuss and Camberwick green 🙂

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
17 Feb 10
1 edit

i like watching the magic roundabout go round and round as well as bagpuss and Camberwick green 🙂
(I know this is off-topic of the off topic), but..could you please tell me what "bagpuss" and " Camberwick green" mean?

rc

Moves
17 Feb 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
(I know this is off-topic of the off topic), but..could you please tell me what "bagpuss" and " Camberwick green" mean?
you dont know bagpuss, wow, dig this my man!

Emily's cat Bagpuss
The most Important
The most Beautiful
The most Magical
Saggy old cloth cat in the whole wide world

and camberwick green and the illustrious Windy Miller

&feature=fvw

magical moments from ones childhood, no violence, just top notch entertainment!

s

At the Revolution

Moves
18 Feb 10

Originally posted by jaywill
One of the meanings of being "saved" in the Bible is receiving the gift of eternal redemption and eternal life. This thread is meant by me to focus on this aspect of the word "saved" and of this aspect of salvation as a gift received.

In this aspect of being saved it is a matter of receiving the One who has done the work, the finished work on behalf of ...[text shortened]... onstrate that it is easy to be saved forever in this specific aspect of the word "saved".
No, the only true chance for salvation is the worship of God and God only.

j

Moves
18 Feb 10
1 edit

Originally posted by scherzo
No, the only true chance for salvation is the worship of God and God only.
Receiving the Spirit is true worship (John 4:23,24)

Regeneration (being born of God) is therefore true worship.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
19 Feb 10

Originally posted by jaywill
Receiving the Spirit is true worship [b](John 4:23,24)

Regeneration (being born of God) is therefore true worship.[/b]
So your proof that the New Testament is true is your citation of the New Testament? That argument is losing ground; Islam is now the fastest-growing religion worldwide because it actually uses logical arguments.

j

Moves
19 Feb 10
1 edit

Originally posted by scherzo
So your proof that the New Testament is true is your citation of the New Testament? That argument is losing ground; Islam is now the fastest-growing religion worldwide because it actually uses logical arguments.
Islam is the fastest growing enforced and coercive religion. Many young people are afraid to leave it for fear of being killed.

I don't consider that a voluntary growth of a faith.