j.w's and the number 144,000

j.w's and the number 144,000

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
26 Aug 12

http://www.abarim-publications.com/Bible_Commentary/Pi_In_The_Bible.html#.UDpuGtZlSSp

interesting take

Manny

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Aug 12
1 edit

Originally posted by menace71
http://www.abarim-publications.com/Bible_Commentary/Pi_In_The_Bible.html#.UDpuGtZlSSp

interesting take

Manny
The circumference of the vessel described in 1 Kings 7:23 was precisely 30 cubits, which comes down to about thirty arm-lengths of a medium seized gentleman. The diameter of the vessel was precisely 10 cubits, which comes down to ten arm-lengths of the same or some other gentleman. The ratio between the two was exactly 3, which comes down to nothing but a hardy handshake between two gentlemen.

In his lovely little book The Joy Of Pi, David Blatner inserts an anonymous statement (page fifty-four):

What is pi?

Mathematician: Pi is the number expressing the relationship between the
circumference of a circle and its diameter.
Physicist: Pi is 3.1415927 plus or minus 0.000000005.
Engineer: Pi is about 3.

Point well taken. 1 Kings 7:23 says nothing about the theoretical value of pi. It just states that a line of thirty cubits went around a ten cubit vessel.

I think that pretty well sums it up, don't you?

P.S. The unbelivers are always looking for something to criticize. This time they went so far as to make up something the Holy Bible did not even say a word about.

jb

Moves
27 Aug 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
it seems to me that you are unaware that the majority of Jehovahs Witnesses hope to
live, not in heaven with Christ, but on a restored paradise earth, which has the capacity
to hold all the people that have ever lived.
I am ready to move to Scotland now. Still want to do the mom swap?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
27 Aug 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Then the seventh angel sounded: [b]And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!” And the twenty-four elders who sat before God on their thrones fell on their faces and worshiped God, saying:

“We give You thanks, O Lord God A ...[text shortened]... re we are seeing the kingdoms of the world which are part of Satan's Kingdom change leadership.
Not exactly. If you look at other translations it's not really saying that. And also the Bible cleary says that all the nations will turn on Babylon the Great and then themselves be destroyed.

Revelation 11:15-19
Amplified Bible (AMP)

15 The seventh angel then blew [his] trumpet, and there were mighty voices in heaven, shouting, The dominion (kingdom, sovereignty, rule) of the world has now come into the possession and become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ (the Messiah), and He shall reign forever and ever (for the eternities of the eternities)!
16 Then the twenty-four elders [of [a]the heavenly Sanhedrin], who sit on their thrones before God, prostrated themselves before Him and worshiped,

17 Exclaiming, To You we give thanks, Lord God Omnipotent, [the One] Who is and [ever] was, for assuming the high sovereignty and the great power that are Yours and for beginning to reign.

18 And the heathen (the nations) raged, but Your wrath (retribution, indignation) came, the time when the dead will be judged and Your servants the prophets and saints rewarded—and those who revere (fear) Your name, both low and high and small and great—and [the time] for destroying the corrupters of the earth.
19 Then the sanctuary of God in heaven was thrown open, and the ark of His covenant was seen standing inside in His sanctuary; and there were flashes of lightning, loud rumblings (blasts, mutterings), peals of thunder, an earthquake, and a terrific hailstorm.

Who or what will be destroyed at Armageddon?

Dan. 2:44: “The God of heaven will set up a kingdom . . . It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite.”

Rev. 19:17, 18: “I saw also an angel standing in the sun, and he cried out with a loud voice and said to all the birds that fly in midheaven: ‘Come here, be gathered together to the great evening meal of God, that you may eat the fleshy parts of kings and the fleshy parts of military commanders and the fleshy parts of strong men and the fleshy parts of horses and of those seated upon them, and the fleshy parts of all, of freemen as well as of slaves and of small ones and great.’”

1 John 2:16, 17: “Everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.”

Rev. 21:8: “As for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and fornicators and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur. This means the second death.”

So the nations or kingdoms or governments as they stand now will never join or become a part of God's Kingdom. In fact they will be destroyed and all of their authority will be gone and Jehovah with his son will be the only authority over the earth....

C

Moves
27 Aug 12

I think more than 144,000 JW's have already knocked on my door by now, or some of them might have been selling Avon.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
27 Aug 12

Originally posted by CLL53
I think more than 144,000 JW's have already knocked on my door by now, or some of them might have been selling Avon.
Well there are about 8 million of us so even if all 144,000 were JW's at this time ,you have a lot more to meet.
But this group of 144,000 started in Jesus day so most are not alive today.

C

Moves
27 Aug 12

Sounds like you guys better get busy if the remaining ones of the 8 million are going to come calling. Not sure if I have enough years left for visits from 8 million, unless you guys start "bunching up" to make visits.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
27 Aug 12

Originally posted by CLL53
Sounds like you guys better get busy if the remaining ones of the 8 million are going to come calling. Not sure if I have enough years left for visits from 8 million, unless you guys start "bunching up" to make visits.
I'll send them all an email and tell them to head on over. Get the iced tea ready...Lol

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
28 Aug 12

Originally posted by galveston75
Not exactly. If you look at other translations it's not really saying that. And also the Bible cleary says that all the nations will turn on Babylon the Great and then themselves be destroyed.

Revelation 11:15-19
Amplified Bible (AMP)

15 The seventh angel then blew [his] trumpet, and there were mighty voices in heaven, shouting, The dominion (king ...[text shortened]... authority will be gone and Jehovah with his son will be the only authority over the earth....
Yes it does. Even the translation you quoted says the following:

The dominion (kingdom, sovereignty, rule) of the world has now come into the possession and become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ (the Messiah), and He shall reign forever and ever (for the eternities of the eternities)!

Jesus, the Son of God, is also referred to as our Lord and His Christ or our Lord and Savior.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
28 Aug 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Yes it does. Even the translation you quoted says the following:

The dominion (kingdom, sovereignty, rule) of the world has now come into the possession and become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ (the Messiah), and He shall reign forever and ever (for the eternities of the eternities)!

Jesus, the Son of God, is also referred to as our Lord and His Christ or our Lord and Savior.
Maybe I misunderstood your explination but it sounds like your saying something like the nations join in with God's Kingdom? If that is what your saying, that is wrong. The scriptures I posted clearly show they are destroyed with no more power or control over any human. So in that sence they dorelinquish their power and that's because they are no longer in power. The yhave no decision in that matter.....

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
28 Aug 12

Originally posted by galveston75
Maybe I misunderstood your explination but it sounds like your saying something like the nations join in with God's Kingdom? If that is what your saying, that is wrong. The scriptures I posted clearly show they are destroyed with no more power or control over any human. So in that sence they dorelinquish their power and that's because they are no longer in power. The yhave no decision in that matter.....
No, I did not meant that. I only meant that these earthly kingdoms that are under Satan's control will be overcome and under the control of God. Then the prayer "Your kingdom come, Your will be done in earth, as it is in heaven." will have been answered.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
28 Aug 12

Let ask it simply about the 144,000
In the who what when why how format

#1 Who are the 144K ?

Manny

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
28 Aug 12

#1 Who are the 144K ?

Manny
And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed:

of the tribe of Judah twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Reuben twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Gad twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Asher twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Naphtali twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Manasseh twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Simeon twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Levi twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Issachar twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Zebulun twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand were sealed;
of the tribe of Benjamin twelve thousand were sealed.

(Revelation 7:4-8 NKJV)

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
28 Aug 12
1 edit

#1 Who are the 144K ?

Manny
One description of who they are:

1 Peter 2:9
Good News Translation (GNT)

9 But you are the chosen race, the King's priests, the holy nation, God's own people, chosen to proclaim the wonderful acts of God, who called you out of darkness into his own marvelous light.

Another is as ambassadors :

2 Corinthians 5:20
New Living Translation (NLT)

20 So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!”

A faithful servant:

Matthew 24:45-47
New Living Translation (NLT)

45 “A faithful, sensible servant is one to whom the master can give the responsibility of managing his other household servants and feeding them. 46 If the master returns and finds that the servant has done a good job, there will be a reward. 47 I tell you the truth, the master will put that servant in charge of all he owns.

The bride of Christ:

As the great Father, Jehovah God, like Abraham, oversees the selection of a bride for his son Jesus Christ—not an earthly woman, but the Christian congregation. (Ge 24:1-4; 2Th 2:13; 1Pe 2:5) The first members of Jesus’ congregation were presented to him by “the friend of the bridegroom,” John the Baptizer, whom Jehovah had sent ahead of his Son. (Joh 3:28, 29) This congregational bride is “one spirit” with Christ, as his body. (1Co 6:17; Eph 1:22, 23; 5:22, 23) Just as the bride in Israel bathed and adorned herself, Jesus Christ sees that in preparation for marriage his bride is bathed so that she is perfectly clean without a spot or blemish. (Eph 5:25-27) In Psalm 45 and Revelation 21 she is shown as being beautifully adorned for the marriage.
Also in the book of Revelation, Jehovah foretells the time when his Son’s marriage would draw near and the bride would be prepared, arrayed in bright, clean, fine linen. He describes those invited to the evening meal of the Lamb’s marriage as being happy. (Re 19:7-9; 21:2, 9-21) On the night before his death, Jesus instituted the Lord’s Evening Meal, the Memorial of his death, and instructed his disciples to keep observing it. (Lu 22:19) This observance is to be kept “until he arrives.” (1Co 11:26) Just as in ancient times the bridegroom arrived at the house of the bride in order to take her from her own parents to the home he had provided for her in the house of his father, so Jesus Christ comes to take his anointed followers from their former earthly home, taking them with him so that where he is they may be also, in his Father’s house, in heaven.—Joh 14:1-3.

Just a few to mention now......

C

Moves
28 Aug 12
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
is it true that only 144,000 get into heaven? if so where does the number come from?
Only 144K JWs getting into heaven. For all other denominations there is no limit.

🙂