j.w's and the number 144,000

j.w's and the number 144,000

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
13 Aug 12

Originally posted by jaywill
No I absolutely do not believe in the "eternal Son".

Well, do you believe that the Son of God is eternal then ?

The term (like "triune god" ) is not in the Bible anywhere. The son was begotten, the Word wasn't.

I don't think the Son being begotten is a contradiction to the Word being the Son from eternity. I s ...[text shortened]... ning the proper use of the term Trinity.
I'll ask you the same if I can.

"So did Jesus have a beginning and could he ever had died and cease to exist?"

j

Moves
13 Aug 12
4 edits

Originally posted by galveston75
I'll ask you the same if I can.

I am probably going to concentrate my replies to divegeester, as you Robbie and I have discussed the Triune God before.

The man Jesus was born. That certainly was a beginning.
The man Jesus died on the cross. That certainly was an end of human life as we know it. But He also resurrected from the dead. Amen.

However, we could also say that Jesus was the "I AM" Who was so before Abraham came into being (John 8:58)

" The Jews then said to Him [Jesus], You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham ?

JESUS ... said to them, Truly, truly, I say to you, Before Abraham came into being, I am.

So they picked up stones to throw at Him [Jesus], but Jesus was hidden and went out of the temple."

That the man Jesus, being under 50 years of age, taught that He was the "I AM", the same God as appeared to Moses in Exodus 3, is a concept that you will have to take up with Jesus Christ Himself.

Don't blame us Christians. We are just believing what Jesus said.

ENGLAND

Moves
13 Aug 12

Well, do you believe that the Son of God is eternal then ?
I believe only God is eternal
I believe that Jesus was/is the "invisible God made visible"
I believe they are in essence, one and the same

For God to become mortal he had to extend himself "his right arm laid bare"

He became the veil of flesh that was torn

But it was HIM no one else, no other "person"

All the glory belongs to him

Everything else; doves decending, Jesus praying to the Father, Jesus dying, crying, sorrowing etc is just the "mystery of God in Christ"

It is perfectly clear to me.

God is one. I'll never accept otherwise.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
13 Aug 12

I am probably going to concentrate my replies to divegeester, as you Robbie and I have discussed the Triune God before.

The man Jesus was born. That certainly was a beginning.
The man Jesus died on the cross. That certainly was an end of human life as we ...[text shortened]... Christ Himself.

So again, before Jesus was a man, did he have a begining? And if he did have an existance before he became a man, could he have died at any time in that existance?

ENGLAND

Moves
13 Aug 12

Sorry but I'm still a little confused with your belief.
So did Jesus have a beginning and could he ever had died and cease to exist?
His body did, obviously; it was born and was executed so it died.

I'm pretty clear here about what I believe, so not sure why you are confused.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Aug 12

So again, before Jesus was a man, did he have a begining? And if he did have an existance before he became a man, could he have died at any time in that existance?
I think the Gospel of John explains that.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
(John 1:1-5 NKJV)

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
(John 1:14 NKJV)

For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
(John 1:17-19 NKJV)

j

Moves
13 Aug 12
1 edit

My last post to you contained a completely relevant and appropriate reply.
Read it again and there really should be no need to repeat.

As for what could have happened before the incarnation ? I don't need to entertained endless hypotheticals.

Jesus is not Michael the archangel. So we don't need to go over that debate again.

j

Moves
13 Aug 12
2 edits

Originally posted by divegeester
I believe only God is eternal
I believe that Jesus was/is the "invisible God made visible"
I believe they are in essence, one and the same

For God to become mortal he had to extend himself "his right arm laid bare"

He became the veil of flesh that was torn

But it was HIM no one else, no other "person"

All the glory belongs to him

Everyt in Christ"

It is perfectly clear to me.

God is one. I'll never accept otherwise.
I am not asking you to believe that God is not one.
He is three - one.

I believe God is the Father - Son - Holy Spirit.
And I have no problem with using the phrases Triune God or Trinity.
If some brothers don't like to use these terms, its Okay with me.

It is easy though, sometimes, for Bible readers to misunderstand each other or lack the utterance to explain their enjoyment of God.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Aug 12

Originally posted by divegeester
No I absolutely do not believe in the "eternal Son". The term (like "triune god" ) is not in the Bible anywhere. The son was begotten, the Word wasn't. The Son will "hand over all things to the Father"; at that time the office of God's Sonship will cease to exist. It doesn't mean Jesus will cease to exist because for the essence of God is one ...[text shortened]... dwells the FULLNESS of the Godhead in bodily [b]form" - it is just a "form".[/b]
That is the false doctrine of modalism.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Aug 12
1 edit

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.

For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross.

(Colossians 1:15-20 NKJV)

For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.

(Colossians 2:9-10 NKJV)

Jesus as the son of man had a beginning. But the Son of God that dwells in Him bodily has no beginning of days, for His Spirit is begotten directly from the Spirit of God that is eternal.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
13 Aug 12

My last post to you contained a completely relevant and appropriate reply.
Read it again and there really should be no need to repeat.

As for what could have happened before the incarnation ? I don't need to entertained endless hypotheticals.

Jesus is not Michael the archangel. So we don't need to go over that debate again.
Yes I see your answer and knew that was your reply. But it's a simple question which you only partually answerd.
Could Jesus have died at anytime before he came to earth as a man?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
13 Aug 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
I think the Gospel of John explains that.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did no ...[text shortened]... only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
(John 1:17-19 NKJV)
Thanks for your comment but it still doesn't answer my question of could Jesus have died at anytime before he became a man on earth?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Aug 12

Thanks for your comment but it still doesn't answer my question of could Jesus have died at anytime before he became a man on earth?
Oh, that is simple. No.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 Aug 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Oh, that is simple. No.
So your saying he has always been immortal?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Aug 12

So your saying he has always been immortal?
This is the same way Robbie starts his arguments, asking some simple question, drawing us in. If you have another shoe to drop, drop it already. Let's hear your entire argument. Why go through this involved process to draw out of us what you want us to say so you can then shoot it down? Leading the witness much? You're acting like a lawyer. Just spit it out already.