1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Apr '15 20:002 edits
    Robbie, the apologetic video claiming to expose false proganda says something interesting.

It says that a group of truth seekers can emerge from earlier errors. Old wrong views may be discovered and discarded and exchanged for more accurate teaching from God's word.

How come they say that that's true for JWs but they rarely admit it could be true for anyone ELSE ?

I haven't had a cross on my person or in my home for decades.
    I don't bring in a Christmas tree.
    Dropped Saturnalia years and years ago just be reading the Scriptures.

Your defenders tell me in essence - "Russell was wrong here or there. We emerged out of those mistakes."

Can anyone ELSE studying the Bible also do so?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '15 21:141 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    Robbie, the apologetic video claiming to expose false proganda says something interesting.

It says that a group of truth seekers can emerge from earlier errors. Old wrong views may be discovered and discarded and exchanged for more accurate teaching from God's word.

How come they say that that's true for JWs but they rarely admit it could be true f ...[text shortened]... or there. We emerged out of those mistakes."

Can anyone ELSE studying the Bible also do so?
    Yes of course, if you read our literature we quote from a wide range of sources including many Biblical scholars, some of them even trinitarians like Vine and Strong. I find it admirable that you are attempting to bring your life into harmony with the revealed word of God. I cannot say why no one calls, although i do recall you saying that when they do you ask them to get down with you and pray to the Lord Jesus Christ, that might be the reason. Perhaps they felt intimidated, difficult to say. We only pray to the father as Jesus directed.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 00:451 edit
    Charles Taze Russell was born from a Presbyterian family. His father was an elite Freemason. Russell joined a Congregational Church but was troubled by the churches teachings of hell, which led him to be skeptical about the church in his early adolescence. By the age of 18 (1869) he participated in a reunion by the Second Adventists, held by Jonas Wendell. What he heard resurrected his faith in the Bible. The Adventists believed that the soul is put to rest after death awaiting resurrection. Therefore, no Hell. Russell studied the Bible and was greatly influenced by many Adventists such as George Storrs, Jonas Wendell, George Stetson and Nelson Barbour. Many of Russell’s doctrines came from the Adventists of the first hour including William Miller’s predictions because of his calculations of date for the return of Christ.

One of the major Adventist influences on Russell was Nelson Barbour whom published the magazine “The Midnight Cry” (later named “Herald of the Morning” ). Barbour thought Christ would return in a visible manner in 1874. Since nothing happened in 1874, Barbour thought that Christ did actually come, but remained invisible. In 1876, when Charles Taze Russell received a copy of Herald of the Morning, he believed the invisible return of Christ of 1874. He accepted more of the chronologies of events established by Barbour including the calculations of the ‘Gentile Times”. Russell wrote an article about the Gentile Times in the periodic Bible Examiner by George Storrs. Nelson Barbour and Charles Taze Russell joined for the publication of the Adventist magazine Herald of the morning, where Russell became the assistant editor. In Barbour’s chronology, he says that 6000 years since the creation of Adam ended in 1873 and that Christ had returned invisibly in 1874. The harvest would happen between 1874 and 1914 the end of “The Gentile Times”. The Watchtower pretends that the year 1914 was determined by the following calculations: 2520 years minus 606 years B.C.; the assumed date of the fall of Jerusalem (actually known as 587 or 586 before Jesus Christ (BC)).

When Russell separated from Barbour to found his own magazine, The Zion’s Watchtower in 1879, he brought these Adventist doctrines with him. Among them he took the ransom doctrine, heaven on earth, critics on the traditional churches, the soul sleep after death and the memorial celebrated once a year by George Storrs. The dates calculated for the return of Christ, the denial of the immortality of the soul and hell, do not come from Jehovah’s Witnesses as they would like us to believe, they actually originate from the Adventists. This leads us to see that the Jehovah’s Witnesses are not a religion per say but an Adventist cult.

https://www.watchtowerlies.com/origins_of_jehovah_s_witnesses.html
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 07:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I find it admirable that you are attempting to bring your life into harmony with the revealed word of God. I cannot say why no one calls, although i do recall you saying that when they do you ask them to get down with you and pray to the Lord Jesus Christ, that might be the reason. Perhaps they felt intimidated, difficult to say. We only pray to the father as Jesus directed.
    I am only a sinner saved by grace.

You better call upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Otherwise you may think you believe in the Son of God yet not really believe in Him.

I am going to open up a thread on Peace With God.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 08:17
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Charles Taze Russell was born from a Presbyterian family. His father was an elite Freemason. Russell joined a Congregational Church but was troubled by the churches teachings of hell, which led him to be skeptical about the church in his early adolescence. By the age of 18 (1869) he participated in a reunion by the Second Adventists, held by Jonas Wen ...[text shortened]... t an Adventist cult.

https://www.watchtowerlies.com/origins_of_jehovah_s_witnesses.html
    Actually Charles Russell split with Barbour because Barbour denied the sin atoning ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ. But hey don't let facts get in the way of your propaganda.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 08:211 edit
    I am only a sinner saved by grace.

You better call upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Otherwise you may think you believe in the Son of God yet not really believe in Him.

I am going to open up a thread on [b]Peace With God
    .[/b]
    The Bible states that he who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved, Joel 2:32 - literally those who are evangelising. the Christ himself made the fathers name manifest, Christendom because of its idolatry has taken the name from the scriptures and replaced it with nondescript terms like Lord which has led to untold confusion. You mediate on the name of the father Jaywill.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 08:52
    The question posed in the OP is whether JWs are an offshoot of Masonic Gnostic beliefs. Strong evidence is there that at least Russell, the founder, was quite fond of and influenced in some of those beliefs.
    IT is clear that Russel was familiar with the Masons. You have shown no real evidence whatsoever that he was a Mason or was strongly influenced by their beliefs. Certainly calling JWs 'an offshoot of Masonic Gnosticism' is going way overboard to the point of outright and obvious dishonesty.

This thread lets the JWs have a little taste of their own medicine.
    Exactly. That is the point of the thread and not an 'honest question' as you originally maintained. You clearly have no interest in the truth of the matter and it is nothing but a ridiculous smear campaign.

Tip: if you want a successful smear campaign, find something genuine. Dishonest smear campaigns tend to backfire.

Now lets talk about the founder of your own sect. Where is his grave? (and no, we are not talking about Jesus, I need a name of someone much more recent whose beliefs you have inherited).
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 09:067 edits
    The Bible states that he who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved, Joel 2:32 - literally those who are evangelising. the Christ himself made the fathers name manifest, Christendom because of its idolatry has taken the name from the scriptures and replaced it with nondescript terms like Lord which has led to untold confusion. You mediate on the name of the father Jaywill.
    Concerning Joel 2:32 - It is quoted by Paul in Romans 10:13

"For whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

To who "the Lord" refers to is clearly assertained by the preceding 4 verses especially starting with verse 9.

"That if you confess with your mouth JESUS as Lord and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

Verse 11 connects the resurrected Jesus with both "Him" on whom the believers will not be put to shame in verse 11 -

"For the Scripture says, Everyone who believes on Him shall not be put to shame."

AND it connects verse 9, the risen Jesus, with the rich Lord in verse 12 -

"For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord is Lord of all and rich to all who call upon Him."

Apostolic Christian teaching associates Joel 2:32 with the Lord Jesus who was raised from the dead.

The reluctance of the JWs who have come to my doorstep, to join me to kneel on my knees and confess Jesus as Lord, probably do not BELIEVE that Jesus is Lord.

Further proclamation of "the kingdom" which the Apostle Paul preached clearly was "the gospel of the grace of God".

"But I consider my life of no account as if precious to myself, in order that I may finish my course and the ministry which I have received from the Lord JESUS to solemnly testify of the gospel of the grace of God.

And now; behold, I know that you all, among whom I have gone about proclaiming the kingdom, will see my face no more." (Acts 20:24-25)

To proclaim the kingdom in obedience to Christ's commission was to preach the gospel of the grace of God.

If you are not certain of your salvation it is because you have not believed and called upon the Son of God Jesus. There is the danger that you think you believe in the Son of God but don't really believe in Jesus the Son of God.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 09:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    IT is clear that Russel was familiar with the Masons. You have shown no real evidence whatsoever that he was a Mason or was strongly influenced by their beliefs. Certainly calling JWs 'an offshoot of Masonic Gnosticism' is going way overboard to the point of outright and obvious dishonesty.

[b]This thread lets the JWs have a little taste of their own m ...[text shortened]... alking about Jesus, I need a name of someone much more recent whose beliefs you have inherited).
    Perhaps Calvin? Or Luther?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 11:49
    Actually Charles Russell split with Barbour because Barbour denied the sin atoning ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ. But hey don't let facts get in the way of your propaganda.
    No, I would not do that. You should know me better than that by now. 😏
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 11:55
    Perhaps Calvin? Or Luther?
    Where have you been? Don't you remember the thread on the Witness Lee Local Church cult?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 13:14
    Where have you been? Don't you remember the thread on the Witness Lee Local Church cult?
    Who is witness Lee?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 13:211 edit
    Who is witness Lee?
    He is a Chinese Christian cult leader that came to the USA and started up some cult churches called the Local Church.

See the thread Witness Lee's Local Church Cult Thread 159943
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=159943
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 15:56
    He is a Chinese Christian cult leader that came to the USA and started up some cult churches called the Local Church.

See the thread Witness Lee's Local Church Cult Thread 159943
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=159943
    Is he Jaywills leader?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '15 15:57
    Concerning [b]Joel 2:32 - It is quoted by Paul in Romans 10:13

"For whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

To who "the Lord" refers to is clearly assertained by the preceding 4 verses especially starting with verse 9.

[quote] "That if you confess with your mouth JESUS as Lord and bel ...[text shortened]... you think you believe in the Son of God but don't really believe in Jesus the Son of God.
    So this thread was started with the intent of , giving Jehovah's witnesses a taste of their own medicine?, in retribution for what Jaywill, my thread about lynching people after church on a Sunday?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree