1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 03:24
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Well that’s more like it!
    There are "hundreds of testimonials on the Internet" of all the major religions having a positive effect on their adherents. I have not disputed for one minute the idea that religious faith - of any kind - can change a person or make them feel changed.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 03:41
    Originally posted by @fmf
    There are "hundreds of testimonials on the Internet" of all the major religions having a positive effect on their adherents. I have not disputed for one minute the idea that religious faith - of any kind - can change a person or make them feel changed.
    Without seeing the testimonials, it’s impossible to ascertain how dramatic the change was, how long-lasting it was, the strength of the human support system that contributed to the change and a variety of other factors.

You have to get into the weeds a little bit before adopting the position that every major religion is capable of turning someone’s life around. That’s why I wanted to see some of the hundreds of testimonials you said existed.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 03:46
    Without seeing the testimonials, it’s impossible to ascertain how dramatic the change was, how long-lasting it was, the strength of the human support system that contributed to the change and a variety of other factors.

You have to get into the weeds a little bit before adopting the position that every major religion is capable of turning someone’s life around. That’s why I wanted to see some of the hundreds of testimonials you said existed.
    People talking enthusiastically about their religions is merely evidence of the human condition and not evidence of any supernatural phenomena.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 03:55
    People talking enthusiastically about their religions is merely evidence of the human condition and not evidence of any supernatural phenomena.
    You’re conflating “people talking enthusiastically about their religions” with people whose lives have been dramatically changed and who attribute that change to God. Two very different things.

If you’re just going to shuffle your king back and forth, you might as well resign. Your position’s been a bust for quite a while.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 04:00
    You’re conflating “people talking enthusiastically about their religions” with people whose lives have been dramatically changed and who attribute that change to God. Two very different things.
    It's right to conflate it. It's the same aspect of human nature. nAnd in your case, it's just confirmation bias that feeds your superstitious outlook. Muslims get the same confirmation from listening to the testimonies of their fellow religionists on early morning TV here. To me, Christians' testimony about their faith affecting their lives [whether it be dramatically or whatever] is no more or less convincing [or remarkable, for that matter] than Muslims' testimony about their faith affecting their lives.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 04:11
    It's right to conflate it. It's the same aspect of human nature. nAnd in your case, it's just confirmation bias that feeds your superstitious outlook. Muslims get the same confirmation from listening to the testimonies of their fellow religionists on early morning TV here. To me, Christians' testimony about their faith affecting their lives [whether it be drama ...[text shortened]... or remarkable, for that matter] than Muslims' testimony about their faith affecting their lives.
    Well as I said earlier, without the ability to read and compare testimonials, you’re just whizzing in the wind.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 04:12
    Well as I said earlier, without the ability to read and compare testimonials, you’re just whizzing in the wind.
    I am just sharing my non-Christian and international perspective.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 04:15
    I am just sharing my non-Christian and international perspective.
    You’re shuffling your king back and forth in a hopeless position.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 04:26
    You’re shuffling your king back and forth in a hopeless position.
    I don't think this metaphor applies. We are a non-Christian and a Christian swapping perspectives. There is nothing "hopeless" about it.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 04:35
    I don't think this metaphor applies. We are a non-Christian and a Christian swapping perspectives. There is nothing "hopeless" about it.
    Ok, sounds good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree