Jesus claimed to be God

Jesus claimed to be God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
24 Mar 18
2 edits

Originally posted by @romans1009
Have I said they do?
Yes, didn't you? What evidence do you have of it? If there's no difference between the ability to share another's burden between Christians and non-Christians why di you cite it as an example of 'good works' in the context of your religion and quote a verse of the Bible?

F

Moves
24 Mar 18

http://abc11.com/society/woman-thanked-for-comforting-strangers-toddler-at-target/3248303/
I've just had a look at this. What are you claiming it is evidence of?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 18

Originally posted by @fmf
I've just had a look at this. What are you claiming it is evidence of?
Cited it as an example of a good work (i.e. bearing another person’s burden.)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 18

Yes, didn't you? What evidence do you have of it? If there's no difference between the ability to share another's burden between Christians and non-Christians why di you cite it as an example of 'good works' in the context of your religion and quote a verse of the Bible?
I don’t think I did. I said atheists were certainly capable of good works and some atheists may do more good works than some Christians, that much depended on an individual’s circumstances and resources.

What I’ve said in regard to good works is that they are a manifestation or evidence of salvation - not a requirement for it. So that means if you see somebody who does not exhibit good works, that is a sign they are not saved. That is not to say everyone who does good works is saved. Do you understand the difference?

I also said the greatest of all good works - and one Jesus explicitly instructed His disciples to do - was share the Gospel, and that is obviously not something that would be done by an atheist or non-Christian.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 18

Your inquiry and interest in good works as they relate to Christianity may be more appropriately addressed to those who (mistakenly) think they are a requirement of salvation.

Salvation is obtained by faith and belief in Jesus Christ and His Resurrection. Nothing else.

Those who are saved will exhibit good works and an aversion to sin as God’s Holy Spirit indwells them and changes their hearts and behavior.

But that doesn’t mean an atheist or non-Christian can’t do good works or bear someone’s burdens.

The biggest mistake you’re making is in thinking Christianity is about doing when it’s really about done - what Jesus Christ did on the cross was everything. No one can earn his or her way into heaven.

F

Moves
24 Mar 18

Your inquiry and interest in good works as they relate to Christianity may be more appropriately addressed to those who (mistakenly) think they are a requirement of salvation..
I am asking you because you keep saying 'good works' inevitably happen because of Jesus and "God's Holy Spirit".

F

Moves
24 Mar 18

I don’t think I did. I said atheists were certainly capable of good works and some atheists may do more good works than some Christians, that much depended on an individual’s circumstances and resources.
So much for the supernatural beings and effects you're talking about, then.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 18

So much for the supernatural beings and effects you're talking about, then.
You’re either misrepresenting what I’ve said or don’t understand it. I suspect the former, but who knows?

You’re looking at outward things. The Lord looks on the heart. It’s why salvation by works is such a false doctrine.

F

Moves
24 Mar 18

Those who are saved will exhibit good works and an aversion to sin as God’s Holy Spirit indwells them and changes their hearts and behavior.
Without the "God’s Holy Spirit indwells them" thing, would they not "exhibit good works"?

F

Moves
24 Mar 18

You’re looking at outward things. The Lord looks on the heart. It’s why salvation by works is such a false doctrine.
I am looking for evidence of what you are claiming about 'good works'.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 18

I am asking you because you keep saying 'good works' inevitably happen because of Jesus and "God's Holy Spirit".
Yes, they do. The Holy Spirit changes someone’s heart and behavior.

That doesn’t mean only Christians do good works.

And you consistently ignore that the greatest of all good works - sharing the Gospel and leading someone to Christ - is generally done exclusively by Christians.

That good work, unlike the good works done by atheists and non-Christians, has eternal consequences.

F

Moves
24 Mar 18

Yes, they do. The Holy Spirit changes someone’s heart and behavior.
And what evidence is there of this?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 18

Without the "God’s Holy Spirit indwells them" thing, would they not "exhibit good works"?
If you’re going to be a smart aleck, I don’t have to waste my time talking with you.

You seem to be asking the same question 100 different ways. How many times do I have to say atheists and non-Christians can do good works?

F

Moves
24 Mar 18

And you consistently ignore that the greatest of all good works - sharing the Gospel and leading someone to Christ - is generally done exclusively by Christians..
If you think it makes you happy to do that, and if it makes other people happy, good for you, but beyond that it is utterly meaningless to me. You might as well be a Hari Krsna or a Muslim preacher.

F

Moves
24 Mar 18

If you’re going to be a smart aleck, I don’t have to waste my time talking with you.

You seem to be asking the same question 100 different ways. How many times do I have to say atheists and non-Christians can do good works?
So it "changes" them, you say, but you get surly when I ask about what would they be like if they are not "changed" by it?