1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 14:09
    Originally posted by @fmf
    It's based on what you said about whether to spare a relative the feeling of being ashamed as opposed to taking action to protect women or children from being raped. You questioned my moral choice. Page 3.
    I simply asked you a question you made your own conclusions.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 14:12
    A moral "compass" doesn't. A moral "compass" is a personal an unique thing every moral agent has. It helps them navigate a human landscape filled wih moral choices and dilemmas.
    Of what use is a compass really if it is not aligned to true North and everyone has to guess the direction which is continually changing as the wind blows?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 14:17
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    I simply asked you a question you made your own conclusions.
    You're dodging.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 14:201 edit
    Of what use is a compass really if it is not aligned to true North and everyone has to guess the direction which is continually changing as the wind blows?
    Your compass vis a vis your sister? Just as subjective as mine. And one cannot get much more seeious than protecting people from getting raped. You simply choked on the dilemma it would seem.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 14:212 edits
    You're compass vis a vis your sister? Just as subjective as mine. And one cannot get much more seeious than protecting people from getting raped. You simply choked on the dilemma it would seem.
    Your word salad makes no sense, try again.

Would you say not protecting people from getting raped is always wrong? How would that be consistent within a context of moral relativity?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 14:22
    Your word salad makes no sense, try again.
    Typo fixed.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 14:324 edits
    Typo fixed.
    Serious?

If my moral compass in relation to my sister is just as relative as yours why would it always be wrong not to protect people from getting raped? Your moral relativity is getting you into all kinds of knots. It either is always wrong in which case moral absolutes do exist (and you are wrong about moral relativism) or it isn't always wrong and your argument is moot.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 14:541 edit
    If my moral compass in relation to my sister is just as relative as yours why would it always be wrong not to protect people from getting raped? Your moral relativity is getting you into all kinds of knots. It either is always wrong in which case moral absolutes do exist (and you are wrong about moral relativism) or it isn't always wrong and your argument is moot.
    You're rehashing stuff. You know my answers to your assertions. And yet we have a real case before us. Am I wrong about there being a moral obligation to do what it takes to protect others from the same fate as your relative? If you disagree with my stance, in what way is your stance based on your so-called "moral absolutes"? I have made my case. What's yours?
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 14:59
    You're rehasing stuff. You know my answers to your assertions. And yet we have a real case before us. Am I wrong about there being a moral obligation to do what it takes to protect others from the same fate as your relative? If you disagree with my stance, in what way is your stance based on your so-called "moral absolutes"? I have made my case. What's yours?
    If moral absolutes do exist you are either right or wrong about it. If moral absolutes don't exist who cares?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 15:05
    If moral absolutes do exist you are either right or wrong about it. If moral absolutes don't exist who cares?
    Is murder wrong? Clearly it is.

Yet in the OT God told the army to go into the enemies land and murder every single person man woman and child, and animal.

Now if it is wrong for those men to murder then how can it be ok if God tells them to do it?

If God told you to murder, would you?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 15:12
    In what way is your stance on not protecting other people from being raped out of loyalty to your sister based on the application of your much vaunted "moral absolutes"?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 15:28
    Am I wrong on this matter according to you? How do you think your stance on this "matters"? And to whom?
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 15:36
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Is murder wrong? Clearly it is.

Yet in the OT God told the army to go into the enemies land and murder every single person man woman and child, and animal.

Now if it is wrong for those men to murder then how can it be ok if God tells them to do it?

If God told you to murder, would you?
    If you have it in you to apologize for your previous (possibly drunken) outburst, I might consider talking to you again.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 15:38
    In what way is your stance on not protecting other people from being raped out of loyalty to your sister based on the application of your much vaunted "moral absolutes"?
    How can anyone's stance be right or wrong within the context of moral relativism?
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 15:40
    If you have it in you to apologize for your previous (possibly drunken) outburst, I might consider talking to you again.
    Did I miss your apology to Dive? (Or have you conveniently forgotten your previous misuse of personal information? )

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree