1. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '10 22:48
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I'm actually impressed at this (though possibly more accurate units of measurement than those you provide are given elsewhere); but then though this would show the speed of light had been calculated rather well by the writers of the Vedas it is a demonstatrion that they are not perfect since one could have said 2208 yojana per half nimesha and arrive at a much ...[text shortened]... ybe), and it is also a demonstration it is a work of man (or otherwise an under acheiving god).
    Could it be possible that the Vedas are 100% correct, and modern calculations are wrong?
  2. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '10 23:24
    Originally posted by josephw
    Very advanced?

Have you ever thought about travel at the speed of thought?

Half the speed of light is slow.

I would have thought that you, oh one of such great mind capacity, would have realised this by now.
    We should not take it for granted that just because we cannot see God with our eyes, the Lord does not have a personal existence. The Ishopanishad mantra refutes this argument by warning us that the Lord is “far away but very near as well.” The abode of the Supreme Lord is far, far beyond the material sky, and its distance cannot even be measured. But despite the Lord’s being so far away, He can at once, within less than a second, descend before us with a speed swifter than the mind or wind.

"When the demigods saw that Krishna was constructing a particular city of His own choice, the sent the celebrated parijata flower of the heavenly planet to be planted in the new city.

They also sent a parliamentary house, Sudharma.
    The specific quality of this assembly house was that anyone participating in a meeting within it would overcome the influence of invalidity due to old age.

The demigod Varuna also presented a horse, which was all white except for black ears and which could run at the speed of the mind.

Kuvera, the treasurer of the demigods, presented the art of attaining the eight perfectional stages of material opulences.

In this way, all the demigods began to present their respective gifts, according to their different capacities.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 00:031 edit
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    Could it be possible that the Vedas are 100% correct, and modern calculations are wrong?
    I doubt it...see I'm not a physicist but I know there are a number of different technologies such as GPS that work, and rely upon the speed of light taking the value it is understood to have presently.

Unless of course your god tweaks things behind the scenes so maintain the accuracy of these devices inspite of erroneous data so to keep the evil fires of science burning....I somehow doubt this very much!

Nope I'm afraid your holy book isn't perfect! :]
  4. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 01:19
    I doubt it...see I'm not a physicist but I know there are a number of different technologies such as GPS that work, and rely upon the speed of light taking the value it is understood to have presently.

Unless of course your god tweaks things behind the scenes so maintain the accuracy of these devices inspite of erroneous data so to keep the evil fires of sc ...[text shortened]... urning....I somehow doubt this very much!

Nope I'm afraid your holy book isn't perfect! :]
    Whats the error factor between 186.000 and 186.556.......about 1 foot over 30-40 miles, which is the error factor of GPS.......so there you have it!
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 01:22
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I have always believed that "genuine" UFO sightings are actually top secret military aircraft experiments. And that the military actually fosters the false idea of aliens from outer space through mis-formation and aledged cover ups to keep these things secret.
    Sometimes I wonder if those career politicians are not simply aliens themselves. The way they think and act makes me wonder. 😛
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 01:437 edits
    Whats the error factor between 186.000 and 186.556.......about 1 foot over 30-40 miles, which is the error factor of GPS.......so there you have it!
    Well for starters, using the conversions you provided would have garnered the result of 199501.2 but that's besides my point.

Let's take your Vedas value (however you arrived at it) and a good approximation for the speed of light 186,282. (Using this value is more favourable to you than 186000)
    The relative error between these two numbers is |(186,282-186556)|/186282 = 0.001470888. Now there are 5280 feet per a mile so the actual error rate between those numbers is 0.001470888*5280 which is -7.766288640, nearly 8 feet per mile. We then have to scale this up with respect to how far these satelites are away from the earth to conclude we shouldn't use vishvahetu GPS :]

Sorry but your Vedas are not perfect!
  7. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 02:20
    Originally posted by buckky
    What does everyone think the so called UFO's are all about. We now have tons of film footage showing something in the sky that cannot be explained. I doubt they are ships from another planet, but could they be something of a spiritual nature ? I have no idea what they are, but the extreme and very odd movements of the objects makes me think they are not phys ...[text shortened]... don't appear to be physical objects I know anything about. What are these things in the sky ?
    W-E-L-L, you can read the book of Ezekiel and learn how "god" has a spaceship with an "altar" inside. Page Betty and Barney Hill.
    I love the story where Ezekiel goes up in a fiery chariot with the face of a lion. The answer is yes to spiritual and yes to physical. For the Bible tells me so.
  8. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 02:492 edits
    Well for starters, using the conversions you provided would have garnered the result of 199501.2 but that's besides my point.

Let's take your Vedas value (however you arrived at it) and a good approximation for the speed of light 186,282. (Using this value is more favourable to you than 186000)
    The relative error between these two numbers is |(186,282-1865 ...[text shortened]... earth to conclude we shouldn't use vishvahetu GPS :]

Sorry but your Vedas are not perfect!
    The Vedas are perfect, but when humans with their brains become part of the equation then there will be error.

Humans have 4 defects

1. Senses are imperfect
    2. Subject to illusion
    3. Make mistakes.
    4 Have cheating propensity.

So with this, we are always at a disadvantage to achieve perfection in our endeavors......look at science and all their mistakes.
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 02:531 edit
    The Vedas are perfect, but when humans with their brains become part of the equation then there will be error.

Humans have 4 defects

1. Senses are imperfect
    2. Subject to illusion
    3. Make mistakes.

So with this, we are always at a disadvantage to achieve perfection in our endeavors......look at science and all their mistakes.
    Cheating propensity??? I'm intrigued as to how you got:

"Whats the error factor between 186.000 and 186.556.......about 1 foot over 30-40 miles"

if you didn't just make it up on the spot hoping that your bluff would silence me!

The fact remains that your holy book could have improved it's account of the speed of light; and thus, in this (and undoubtedly many other) respects your holy book fails to be perfect :]
  10. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 03:15

"Whats the error factor between 186.000 and 186.556.......about 1 foot over 30-40 miles"

if you didn't just make it up on the spot hoping that your bluff would silence me!

The fact remains that your holy book could have improved it's account of the speed of light; and thus, in this (and undoubtedly many other) respects your holy book fails to be perfect :]
    For your information,.... because I couldn't be bothered to work it out, I pulled that figure from thin air (i ft in 30-40) to make a point........but you went and calculated it (the mathematician you are)

I dont care about this stuff, I only put it out there to make a point.......but most dont care about the point, they care more about doing maths.
  11. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 03:24

Also.....the figure 186286 was calculated by the Indians (i said this) ....and the Vedas didn't give this figure, but they gave the figure 2202 jojanas, and unless you go back to the beginning of time when the Vedas were spoken, then no one will know what they actually mean, because when they where describing this speed, they were describing it in a different galaxy, probably with slightly different laws. (who knows)
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 05:27
    Also.....the figure 186286 was calculated by the Indians (i said this) ....and the Vedas didn't give this figure, but they gave the figure 2202 jojanas, and unless you go back to the beginning of time when the Vedas were spoken, then no one will know what they actually mean, because when they where describing this speed, they were describing it in a different galaxy, probably with slightly different laws. (who knows)
    So, you originally claimed that the Vedas accurately state the speed of light. Now you admit that:
    a) although they do state the speed of light, we have no idea what speed they do state and therefore don't know how accurate they really were.
    b) that you lied when trying to support your claim and when caught in the lie are now admitting a)
  13. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 07:24
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So, you originally claimed that the Vedas accurately state the speed of light. Now you admit that:
    a) although they do state the speed of light, we have no idea what speed they do state and therefore don't know how accurate they really were.
    b) that you lied when trying to support your claim and when caught in the lie are now admitting a)
    What are you talking about, theres no lie.......the speed of light is there, and its more accurate than the scientific calculation.

Science says its 186.283.397 miles per second, but thats in space, and they have an error factor.
    The Vedas say 186.556 miles per second, and thats probably the true speed.

But light travels differently in different circumstances.

Drop it, because your only trying to find fault, to support your silly atheism......but you cant find fault (and its your brain thats faulty)
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 07:36

Humans have 4 defects

1. Senses are imperfect
    2. Subject to illusion
    3. Make mistakes.

Humans have 40 000 follies, thats why there are 40 000 sutras!
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Nov '10 07:484 edits

Humans have 4 defects

1. Senses are imperfect
    2. Subject to illusion
    3. Make mistakes.

Humans have great potential to overcome their problems. Thats why "God" sent the best. "He" sent us!!
    Yes, we are here to usher in a new world, while at the same time developping our own Zen.
    1. Senses are imperfect, but once one realizes that, then one can continue with the perfect knowledge that his/her senses are imperfect.
    2. Breaking throught illusion is a goal for everyone. Yes, we are all born into illusion, BUT MORE POSITVELY (you negative creep) , we all have the potential to see through the illlusion(s). Why not focus on the positive,eh?
    3. If you dont make mistakes , you dont learn. (there are many other reasons why mistakes are essential, but I have a feeling you were talking about "scriptural mistakes" and not the everyday variety. (honestly, why make a distinction?,,,do not the scriptures of the bible and the vedas refer to daily life?)
    4. Yes, indeed. This is a question for the concience . The propensity to cheat is out there in the world but I would guess that this would not apply to probably nearly all the posters that post here on the SF.
    Certainly the likes of Robbie,Proper Knob ,Agerg, beetle,etc,etc.have never shown the slightest propensitiy to DELIBERATELY cheat.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree