1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 11:26
    @divegeester said
    What do you mean "above the word of God". We are instructed to take the "word of God" to the nations!

Your version of "the word of God" contains this morally incoherent nonsense you have taken literally from Revelation. It's weird that you cannot see the problem with this.
    Yet you reject parts of scripture that you find bad and repulsive.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 13:30
    @kellyjay said
    Yet you reject parts of scripture that you find bad and repulsive.
    No I don't, I reject your nonsense literalist view of biblical scripture.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 15:192 edits
    @kellyjay said
    Everything is open to interpretation that doesn’t mean unchanging truth isn’t real, it’s just that we will look at it with our own mistaken interpretation.
    KJ, read what you've written here.

Setting aside the fact that it's bordering on gibberish, you seem to be acknowledging that the Bible is open to interpretation and that yours is an interpretation as well. You also seem to be saying that everyone's interpretation is "mistaken" - yours as well. So why all the pretense that YOU don't interpret what the Bible is saying?

Be that as it may, it also doesn't really address the points of my earlier post:
    Of course the worst are those who claim to take everything as it's written. None of them take everything literally, yet pretend that they do. Their complete lack of integrity renders them incapable of rational discussion of scripture.

All literalists who truly take everything literally have committed suicide:
    Mark 8
    24Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. 25“For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.

Maybe that's why Christianity has hundreds of denominations.

Indeed. The Bible is widely open to interpretation.

What's interesting is that with all the widely divergent ideas about what the Bible says and doesn't say and what is the will of God and isn't the will of God, almost all of them believe that they have the "Holy Spirit" guiding them. Clearly either most or none of them have the guidance of the "Holy Spirit" or it's a very ineffectual spirit.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 18:34
    @divegeester said
    Explain the passages that speak about eternal Hell, you don’t need my views about them to do that.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Oct '18 06:28
    @kellyjay said
    Explain the passages that speak about eternal Hell, you don’t need my views about them to do that.
    Why?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Oct '18 08:51
    @divegeester said
    Why?
    You and ThinkOfOne have a lot in common.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 15:14
    @divegeester said
    Reposting for all you brave hell-fire Christians, as per KellyJay’s request:

Here’s a passage for all you hellfire and burning believers to have a look and and tell me this; which bits are literal and which are metaphors and symbolisms?

From Revelation 19

I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and Tru ...[text shortened]... nd the burning ... am I right?

What a desperately sad doctrine of death it is that you cling to.
    Assuming we have eternal souls, explain a place to me where people should go that don’t want to be with God.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 16:01
    @kellyjay said
    You and ThinkOfOne have a lot in common.
    We have one thing in common, which is we both find you to be intellectually dishonest.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 16:03
    PS There is no such thing as an "eternal soul".

Only God's spirit is eternal and those who's spirit has been regenerated by his.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 22:46
    @divegeester said
    We have one thing in common, which is we both find you to be intellectually dishonest.
    in common with one or two others...
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 22:47
    @divegeester said
    PS There is no such thing as an "eternal soul".

Only God's spirit is eternal and those who's spirit has been regenerated by his.
    now you've lost me ...

Our souls by definition are eternal, otherwise they wouldn't be souls
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Oct '18 23:122 edits
    @divegeester

Then you accept that in this passage Jesus is teaching that greater fear should be rendered to God. And that because physical death does not put one beyond His ability to further punish -

Luke 12:4,5

"And I say to you My friends, Do not fear those who kill the body and afterward have nothing more that they can do.

But I will show you whom you should fear: fear Him who, after killing, has authority to cast into Gehenna; yes, I tell you, fear this One."

Or do you blame those fearful words on KellyJay or someone else like me ??

Those words are the fault of our literalism ?
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Oct '18 03:47
    @divegeester said
    I take the text as written in its context, I'm not making it mean anything other
    than what it says. If it says eternal Hell, I'm not adding to or taking anything away
    I'm just accepting it as is. You are the on that is interpreting it to mean something
    different, or nothing at all when it clearly says the things it does. So if you have
    an issue with the text as written, take it up with someone else, I didn't write it.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '18 04:00
    @kellyjay said
    I take the text as written in its context, I'm not making it mean anything other
    than what it says. If it says eternal Hell, I'm not adding to or taking anything away
    I'm just accepting it as is. You are the on that is interpreting it to mean something
    different, or nothing at all when it clearly says the things it does. So if you have
    an issue with the text as written, take it up with someone else, I didn't write it.
    If you don't attach any meaning to the words "eternal Hell", and you treat it as "the text as written" with no interpretation on your part, then how can anybody understand what meaning it is that you claim those words have?
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Oct '18 04:14
    @fmf said
    If you don't attach any meaning to the words "eternal Hell", and you treat it as "the text as written" with no interpretation on your part, then how can anybody understand what meaning it is that you claim those words have?
    Let us break it down, two words.
    Hell this is a bad place of suffering.
    Eternal this means forever.
    If we put them together as they are written what do we get?
    Eternal Hell.
    Seem simple enough for me, but you don't believe in the whole thing anyway so what?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree