Literal vs Metaphor challenge

Literal vs Metaphor challenge

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
21 Oct 18

@thinkofone said
C3 had it pegged from the beginning:
[quote]If someone likes what a specific verse or verses say, it's literal.

If someone dislikes the message, then they either dismiss it, or convince themselves it's a metaphor.

In your case Dive, you do not want to believe in hell, so you will continue to argue against any scripture that deals with hell.

"Go and sin NO more ...[text shortened]... wants separation of the races? It's in there.
You want a God that supports slavery? It's in there.
Indeed.
This thread is a classic example of interpreting the bible to fit one's own ideal of how things should be, and shouldn't be.

If you agree, it's literal.
If you disagree, it's either a metaphor, or could not possibly be endorsed by Jesus.

Maybe that's why Christianity has hundreds of denominations.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Oct 18

@thinkofone said
How exactly have I changed the text?

Like I said, "...given the caliber of the posters on this forum...".
What type of death?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Oct 18

@thinkofone said
C3 had it pegged from the beginning:
[quote]If someone likes what a specific verse or verses say, it's literal.

If someone dislikes the message, then they either dismiss it, or convince themselves it's a metaphor.

In your case Dive, you do not want to believe in hell, so you will continue to argue against any scripture that deals with hell.

"Go and sin NO more ...[text shortened]... wants separation of the races? It's in there.
You want a God that supports slavery? It's in there.
The truth remains the truth no matter how people take it to suit themselves, they can change the meaning of clear text into things that they perfer over what is written. They can say this is good text, that isn’t, always making the Word suit what they like over what the Word says. The division is due to people’s rejection of truth, it isn’t because the truth is broken.

F

Moves
22 Oct 18
1 edit

@kellyjay said
The truth remains the truth no matter how people take it to suit themselves, they can change the meaning of clear text into things that they perfer over what is written.
And yet you get into all manner of self-caused scapes and tangles and stonewallings and deflection-a-thons over your own preferred interpretation of "the meaning of clear text".

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Oct 18

@fmf said
And yet you get into all manner of self-caused scapes and tangles and stonewallings and deflection-a-thons over your own preferred interpretation of "the meaning of clear text".
I don’t ignore text, neither do I dismiss text by claiming it doesn’t say what it says. I don’t change the text into something it doesn’t say to pervert the text.

F

Moves
22 Oct 18

@kellyjay said
I don’t ignore text, neither do I dismiss text by claiming it doesn’t say what it says. I don’t change the text into something it doesn’t say to pervert the text.
It's all about interpretation, yours and everyone else's. You trying pass off yours as anything other than just another interpretation doesn't work.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Oct 18

@fmf said
It's all about interpretation, yours and everyone else's. You trying pass off yours as anything other than just another interpretation doesn't work.
Well examples are required to show what you are talking about.

F

Moves
22 Oct 18

@kellyjay said
They arise constantly. You get confronted. You do what you do. Let's wait for the next instance.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Oct 18

@fmf said
They arise constantly. You get confronted. You do what you do. Let's wait for the next instance.
So no examples you are going to look for something to accuse me of something.

F

Moves
22 Oct 18

@kellyjay said
So no examples you are going to look for something to accuse me of something.
Plenty of examples. Every time you were accused of it, it was an example of you being accused of it. But as I said, let's wait for the next instance.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Oct 18

@fmf said
Plenty of examples. Every time you were accused of it, it was an example of you being accused of it. But as I said, let's wait for the next instance.
zzzzzzzz

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
22 Oct 18

@chaney3 said
Indeed.
This thread is a classic example of interpreting the bible to fit one's own ideal of how things should be, and shouldn't be.

If you agree, it's literal.
If you disagree, it's either a metaphor, or could not possibly be endorsed by Jesus.

Maybe that's why Christianity has hundreds of denominations.
40000 denominations, still he's asking for ur opinion. Agreeing with the crowd is not a sign that you are correct

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
22 Oct 18
1 edit

@kellyjay said
The truth remains the truth no matter how people take it to suit themselves, they can change the meaning of clear text into things that they perfer over what is written. They can say this is good text, that isn’t, always making the Word suit what they like over what the Word says. The division is due to people’s rejection of truth, it isn’t because the truth is broken.
what is the truth then?

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
22 Oct 18
1 edit

@kellyjay said
Well your astonishing claim on page one that the passage I quoted in my OP from Revelation 19 was, in your words, “all literal, not metaphors” would be a prime example of you making your own interpretation, and of course of me challenging you on it as I claim it is all metaphors.

Of course we all know why you have taken this stance; it is so you can protect your precious eternal suffering in the lake of fire ideology without having to defend why you think that is literal and the other stuf isn’t. Gross dishonesty frankly.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
22 Oct 18
1 edit

@divegeester

btw it's possible to make perfectly fine metaphors out of literal stuff and vice versa from the bible ...
But lets just focus on the thread as you have put it. You drive a fine point.