1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 13:05
    @divegeester
    How much of the book of Revelation is intended to be taken literally?

None.

So I should not take literally 22:21 - "The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all the saints." ?
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 13:12

Removed by poster

3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 13:13
    @sonship
    You shouldn't take any scripture literally.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 13:181 edit
    @divegeester
    How much of the book of Revelation is intended to be taken literally?

None.

"Worship God" 19:10. Divegeesters says this should not be taken literally.

"These are the true words of God" (19:9) Divegeester says this should not be taken literally.

"The rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were completed. This is the first resurrection" (20:5) Divegeester says this and nothing else in this book is to be taken literally.

"And I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose face earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them." (20:11)
    Divegester says this is not to be taken literally. To Divegeester John did not literally see that.

"He made it known by signs" Divegeester says don't take that literally.

" . . . and they shall reign forever and ever" (22:5) Divegeester says should not be taken literally. They won't do any such thing literal he teaches.

"the kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ, and He will reign forever and ever." (11:15). Divegeester teaches this is not to be taken literally with no other contents of the book of Revelation.

"None" of it, he says, is to be taken literally.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 13:251 edit
    @avalanchethecat said
    @sonship
    You shouldn't take any scripture literally.
    I take the Bible literally when it appears that is how it is meant.
    I take analogies when it appears that is what is meant.
    I take parables as parables when that is what seems to be intended.
    I take it as history when that appears to be what is being conveyed.

I take literally that I am a sinner by constitution.
    I take literally that Christ died for my sins.

And I take literally that Christ "the last Adam" became available to me to enjoy and experience subjectively as "a life giving Spirit".

"[T]he last Adam became a life giving Spirit" (1 Cor. 15:45)

I take literally that the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God because they are foolishness to him. I take it that this must be your case. (1 Cor. 2:14)

I know this was my case. And I know that this is sometimes my case still. So I take literally that I need transformation in my mind and renewing through the Holy Spirit.

Do you take literally that you know what is good for you to do but often you do not have the power to carry it out? Romans 7.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 13:28
    @sonship said
    I take the Bible literally when it appears that is how it is meant.
    I take analogies when it appears that is what is meant.
    I take parables as parables when that is what seems to be intended.
    I take it as history when that appears to be what is being conveyed.

I take literally that I am a sinner by constitution.
    I take literally that Christ died for my sins.

And ...[text shortened]... now what is good for you to do but often you do not have the power to carry it out? Romans 7.
    Heads up, a big chunk of Genesis is not meant to be taken literally.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 13:30
    "And I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose face earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them." (20:11)

Divegeester would say this should not be taken literally. Not even as a VISION did John see it. Not even as a SIGN did John see it even though we are told God made known all the things in Revelation "by signs".

Not literally did John see it says Divegeester.
    And not as a vision did John see it either.

Then there must according to Divegeester be no final judgment of God.

I'll pass up this unitarian "theology" of the Bible LYING.
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 13:38
    @sonship
    You shouldn't take any of it literally. If you ignore the context you will pretty much always fail to grasp the true meaning.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 15:263 edits
    @avalanchethecat said
    @sonship
    You shouldn't take any of it literally. If you ignore the context you will pretty much always fail to grasp the true meaning.
    This book is the revelation of Jesus Christ.
    The entire Bible is the revelation of Jesus Christ.
    This last book is the climax of the 66 books which all are a revelation of Jesus Christ.

In this book Jesus Christ is sometimes referred to as "another Angel".
    I am persuaded that this is the case. So sometimes it may reveal some aspect of Jesus Christ in the sign of "another Angel".

In chapter 8:3 - "And another Angel came and stood at the altar, ..."
    I would join those who teach that this is a sign of Jesus Christ.

In chapter 10:1 - "And I saw another strong Angel coming down out of heaven, clothed with a cloud; and the rainbow was upon His head, and His face was like the sun, ... etc." I would also agree is revealing Jesus Christ.

In chapter 18:1 - "After these things I saw another Angel coming down out of heaven, having great authority; and the earth was illuminated with His glory." This also is sign revealing Jesus Christ.

Sometimes Jesus Christ is not mentioned by name. But "another Angel" is speaking of the Lord Jesus Christ.

For this reason J.N. Darby's New Translation of the Bible capitalized in a number of places in Revelation "Angel". The Recovery Version followed that understanding.
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 17:02
    @sonship
    You only think that because it says so in your book. Do you not see why that isn't a good reason to believe it?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 17:512 edits
    @avalanchethecat said
    @sonship
    You only think that because it says so in your book. Do you not see why that isn't a good reason to believe it?
    What would you say then is the true meaning of -

"The revelation of Jesus Christ which God gave to Him to show to His slaves the things that must quickly take place; and He made it known buy signs, sending it by His angel to His slave John, Who testifies the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ, even all that he saw." (Rev. 1:1,2) ?

And by what authority do YOU claim I should understand this the way YOU say it should be understood?
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 18:281 edit
    @sonship
    You can't confirm the veracity or otherwise of scripture by reference to itself. And since you don't know the context of the original writing, you can't really know what was meant. You also don't know the context of it's inclusion in the bible. I'd say that renders any message you can extract from it somewhat tenuous.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 19:511 edit
    @avalanchethecat
    I'd say that renders any message you can extract from it somewhat tenuous.

Who are you ?

Folks there is a rich blessing in store even just to read aloud the prophecy of this book of Revelation. Sure there are many mysterious things in it. But the word of God will nourish something within you.

"Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy and KEEP ... the things written in it, for the time is at hand." (1:3)

It is the revelation of Jesus Christ. Don't miss the CENTER PIECE - Jesus Christ . He is revealed in many of His functions, offices, capacities, abilities by signs in this book. Read it and keep even the hard to understand things. Read them and keep them in your heart.

Your faith will be nourished and your spirit will be fed.
    Don't listen to avalanchethecat to discard this unique prophetic book of the Bible.

Try reading one chapter each morning first thing in the morning until you finish all 22 chapters. What a blessing I believe this will be to you.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 19:551 edit
    Don't jsut come to Revelation to have your curiosity tickled. Nor come only with a big cold brain to argue.

Come to Revelation with an opened heart to SEE its center focus - Jesus Christ. It may be difficult at times because some other exciting things are being written. But look for first of all not horns or frogs, not first hailstones and earthquakes, but the dear Lord Jesus Christ.

He is "the faithful Witness, the Firstborn from the dead, and the Ruler of the kings of the earth". In the first chapter how many things can you see that Jesus Christ is ? What would you give as a count of the number of titles or things that are assigned to Him?

Just take the first chapter of 20 verses. How many things does it say Jesus Christ IS ??
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 20:121 edit
    Would you all like to know what it means -

"and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne." (v.4) ?

I think we can help you. You never heard of "the seven Spirits"?

The seven Spirits are also the seven eyes of the Lamb. Where ELSE in the Bible did we read about seven eyes? Where else did the Bible talk about something like this?

The Bible interprets itself. This is the way the Bible in the hands of someone obedient and loving the Lord Jesus can help us. Even if they are not too accurate if they love the Lord, their interpretation can be safe.

But if someone does not love the Lord Jesus and handles this book, even if it sounds right there is something wrong with the way they explain things in it. It leaves you cold towards God and wanting to be independent.

If an interpretation exalts Christ and warms up your hearts toward Christ, it is at least a safe interpretation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree