most christians do not read the bible

most christians do not read the bible

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Apr 17

Originally posted by RBHILL
What do you do when you get to February or 30 day month?
30th I read the 30th, the 1st the 1st the goal isn't to read the whole book, but to stay faithful to reading a Proverb a day according to the date.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Apr 17

Originally posted by Eladar
If you can't see people who embrace Satan's lies, then there is a problem.
And that problem is yours, Sparky.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Apr 17

Originally posted by FMF
How much reading of the Bible does a Christian have to do, would you say, to avoid being burned in a furnace forever after they die, out of "wrath" and "vengeance"?
I wouldn't think that how much of the Bible a person reads a day would even enter into that, so your question is a non sequitur at best.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Apr 17

Originally posted by FMF
Do you think your support for abortion rights endangers your status as "a child of God" as several 'pro-life' Christian posters have either explicitly said - or at least implied - over the years here?
Of course not.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Apr 17

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Christianity, like most everything else, has changed over time. For example, it has become something very different post reformation.

Unfortunately it has drifted very far from the teachings of Jesus. It is what it is.
No. Rajk is not a "prophet". He is just wrong.

Christianity is Christianity is Christianity.

How people respond to it is what changes over time.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Apr 17

Originally posted by leunammi
Do you really not understand that the statement you quoted is a conclusion drawn on the rest of my post? Your question doesn't make any sense.

My question absolutely makes sense and although it was a response to your post, it was meant to be a little rhetorical for anyone. In my opinion, the US had little to choose from during this past ele ...[text shortened]... gs of Jesus.

With regards to Christians who supported Clinton, do you agree? Why or why not?
"Christians traditionally hold values more closely aligned with the Republican party (religious right), is it any wonder that more Christians support Trump."

This is a joke, right?

"Given the number of Hillary supporters who identify as Christian, it's a striking example of how far Christianity has drifted from the teachings of Jesus."

Another joke, right?

T

Moves
12 Apr 17

Originally posted by Suzianne
No. Rajk is not a "prophet". He is just wrong.

Christianity is Christianity is Christianity.

How people respond to it is what changes over time.
Rajk? Prophet?

You seem to have lost all context of our discussion. There was a time that the majority of your posts were at least somewhat thought out. For quite some time now, it seems that that isn't the case anymore. Is there a reason for that change?

Whether you wan to admit it or not, Christianity is defined by man and man has changed the religion over time. You can continue to pretend that this isn't the case, but it is what it is. Man has changed it from a religion that has the teachings of Jesus as its foundation and have changed it to a religion that is becoming more and more self-serving as time passes.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
12 Apr 17

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Rajk? Prophet?

You seem to have lost all context of our discussion. There was a time that the majority of your posts were at least somewhat thought out. For quite some time now, it seems that that isn't the case anymore. Is there a reason for that change?

Whether you wan to admit it or not, Christianity is defined by man and man has changed the reli ...[text shortened]... on and have changed it to a religion that is becoming more and more self-serving as time passes.
Too much posting makes some people go insane. I think she is one of them.

F

Moves
12 Apr 17

FMF: Do you think your support for abortion rights endangers your status as "a child of God" as several 'pro-life' Christian posters have either explicitly said - or at least implied - over the years here?

Of course not.
So what is the Biblical support for abortion?

F

Moves
12 Apr 17

I wouldn't think that how much of the Bible a person reads a day would even enter into that, so your question is a non sequitur at best.
What about someone who talked to Christians and read the Bible a bit when they were, say 19-20 years old, accepted it, believed it, and then never touched it again their whole life long? What would be the consequence? [As for the bit about possibly being burned in a furnace forever after they die, out of "wrath" and "vengeance", it was directed at sonship because he promotes belief in a god figure who metes that out to humans; from what I gather, you believe in a very different god figure.]

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Apr 17

Originally posted by leunammi
Do you really not understand that the statement you quoted is a conclusion drawn on the rest of my post? Your question doesn't make any sense.

My question absolutely makes sense and although it was a response to your post, it was meant to be a little rhetorical for anyone. In my opinion, the US had little to choose from during this past ele ...[text shortened]... gs of Jesus.

With regards to Christians who supported Clinton, do you agree? Why or why not?
I believe neither party in American politics is close to Jesus' teaching or scripture in general. Since with both you will end up taking the good and the bad, once done you could end up closing your eyes to the bad and excusing it, while condemning good things in the other party.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
12 Apr 17

Originally posted by sonship
Ah so Apathist chimes in with another gem - "Most Christians do not read the Bible".
His statistics no doubt are carefully conducted....
And most christians don't even go to church, except on special social days. And perhaps not even then.

Maybe 20% of americans regularly attend church. Around 80% of americans identify as christian. And around 80% of christians do not read the bible except as directed at church.

It seems clear to me that most christians are just going with the flow of their culture. The rest, of course are in the fanatics pool.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Apr 17

Originally posted by apathist
And most christians don't even go to church, except on special social days. And perhaps not even then.

Maybe 20% of americans regularly attend church. Around 80% of americans identify as christian. And around 80% of christians do not read the bible except as directed at church.

It seems clear to me that most christians are just going with the flow of their culture. The rest, of course are in the fanatics pool.
How do you know what most Christians do? How do you know who is and isn't a Christian? I don't recall what belief you define yourself with, but if someone where to claim people who may not have anything to do with your faith, did or didn't do something, would you feel they shouldn't do that?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
13 Apr 17

Originally posted by KellyJay
How do you know what most Christians do? How do you know who is and isn't a Christian? I don't recall what belief you define yourself with, but if someone where to claim people who may not have anything to do with your faith, did or didn't do something, would you feel they shouldn't do that?
I look.
Christians believe Christ is Savior.
It depends.

According to Christianity, everyone else goes to Hell. A more offensive view is hard to imagine.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
13 Apr 17
1 edit

The blind men and the elephant. From wiki.

The story of the blind men and an elephant originated in the Indian subcontinent from where it has widely diffused. It is a story of a group of blind men (or men in the dark) who touch an elephant to learn what it is like. Each one feels a different part, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then compare notes and learn that they are in complete disagreement.

The blind men are the religions. The elephant is the gods. Christianity is a blind man saying all other views are wrong.