My last posting............

My last posting............

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
14 Dec 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Its been pointed out numerous times, that as you cannot read Greek, nor have an
understanding of Greek grammatical structure you have no way of knowing what the
scriptures actually say in their original languages, do you. No you do not, that is why,
you are only able to spout the second hand dogma that you have gleaned from your
traditions a ...[text shortened]... e most racially divided time in America? Sunday morning when you go to
church, I rest my case!
Pardon my intrusion, but can you read Greek?
I struggle with any written language for reasons I'd rather not divulge here. 🙂

BTW
I am sorry to hear of Galv's health issues. May he have a speedy recovery.

rc

Moves
14 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Well I am going on what he posted. That's what a forum is all about. My question was, why did his explanation for storming off [temporarily, as it turns out] cite the "well documented [...] persecution aspect of JW's history". Why would that be? Is it fair to those JWs who have been persecuted in the past, for him to lump himself in with them simply because of debate and disagreement on a forum like this?
Of course you are FMF and of course we realise that you were going on what you read,
never the less, what we state on an internet forum is only half the picture and the
Gman has intimated in private and to a lesser extent publicly that he has health
issues. Is it fair to align his treatment with that of those who have faced persecution
in the past, yes i think it is, one only has to look at the number of threads that are
directed against Jehovah witnesses in this forum, a completely disproportionate
number to the actual number of JW users and one can easily state we have been
singled out by certain users, in fact, so much so that t became a forum joke.

rc

Moves
14 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by ChessPraxis

BTW
yes, i read and write kione Greek at a very basic level and at about a word a minute,
its second only in slowness to my reading music which is about a bar a week. Why do
you want something translated? Are you dyslexic or have poor eyesight?

F

Moves
14 Dec 11

Is it fair to align his treatment with that of those who have faced persecution
in the past, yes i think it is....
Thanks for the clear answer. I am not a JW, but I think a JW framing an inability to hold his or her ground on a debating forum in terms of historical persecution, including "well documented" cases of JWs being murdered for who they were, is an insult to those victims of persecution. Your comments diminish your stature, robbie, and cheapen the suffering of genuine victims in the past.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Dec 11

I dont think we can be blamed for hiding the fact that we think Bible education is
paramount, perhaps we have not expressed enough how awesome we are at it, sigh,
sometimes one needs to aim high to hit the mark, perhaps in this instance, it wasn't
high enough.
Perhaps you have failed to explain how awesome you are. I have some feelings like that. So many things that I want to say have been said ever so more euriditly by other authors, (or other people in real life or even here at RHP), that I feel that if anyone wants to follow my leads then they will find something "worthy". My words are not required for a while...

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
14 Dec 11

yes, i read and write kione Greek at a very basic level and at about a word a minute,
its second only in slowness to my reading music which is about a bar a week. Why do
you want something translated? Are you dyslexic or have poor eyesight?
I was just curious. I'd think Greek would be difficult to pick up.
I know a bit of Hebrew which helps in the OT, mostly the Torah, I always felt bad I knew nothing of Greek for the NT. 🙂

rc

Moves
14 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
Thanks for the clear answer. I am not a JW, but I think a JW framing an inability to hold his or her ground on a debating forum in terms of historical persecution, including "well documented" cases of JWs being murdered for who they were, is an insult to those victims of persecution. Your comments diminish your stature, robbie, and cheapen the suffering of genuine victims in the past.
i have to disagree, it differs only in degree of severity FMF, the kid being taunted in
school suffers persecution as well as the inmate who is incarcerated and beaten for
refusal to take part in military campaign. It was perhaps an emotional response for
after all, he was being ganged upon by not a few members at the same time. Indeed i
would think more of you FMF if you had understood how it felt, after all, there have in
the past been similar attempts made upon you, in debates for example, it might have
evoked some empathy.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Dec 11

I dont think we can be blamed for hiding the fact that we think Bible education is
paramount, perhaps we have not expressed enough how awesome we are at it, sigh,
sometimes one needs to aim high to hit the mark, perhaps in this instance, it wasn't
high enough.
Yes, it's a tricky business going from ,"Can we come in for a cuppa and a chat? " TO ,"actually we'd like to introduce you to some bible studies as well."

Discresion plays a major part no doubt

I imagine it's easier with some and downright near impossible others.

F

Moves
14 Dec 11

i have to disagree, it differs only in degree of severity FMF, the kid being taunted in
school suffers persecution as well as the inmate who is incarcerated and beaten for
refusal to take part in military campaign. It was perhaps an emotional response for
after all, he was being ganged upon by not a few members at the same time. Indeed i
wo ...[text shortened]... een similar attempts made upon you, in debates for example, it might have
evoked some empathy.
Playing the victim card in this way - over this issue, on this forum - diminishes you, robbie.

rc

Moves
14 Dec 11

I was just curious. I'd think Greek would be difficult to pick up.
I know a bit of Hebrew which helps in the OT, mostly the Torah, I always felt bad I knew nothing of Greek for the NT. 🙂
No its not difficult, the alphabet is phonetic (a Greek word), the letters easily defined,
in fact, English is based upon the alphabet (a Greek word) and the number of Greek
words in English is astounding. I got a teach yourself book and simply went through
the lessons, heck if i can do it, so could you.

rc

Moves
14 Dec 11
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Playing the victim card in this way - over this issue, on this forum - diminishes you, robbie.
its not about me FMF, a fatal flaw in your ad hominen , sadly, you asked if it was fair,
i stated that i thought it was, i produced reasons, you may make reference to those
reasons if you like,

1.the disproportionate number of threads directed against JW's by certain users
2.the pack mentality of ganging up and bullying certain members rather than trying
to understand their position
3. that persecution varies only in severity

It diminishes not I FMF, but those who should have let their own experience lead
them towards empathy rather than harden their stance, lesson is FMF, if you
are intent on humiliating someone, its best to leave them a way out.

rc

Moves
14 Dec 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Yes, it's a tricky business going from ,"Can we come in for a cuppa and a chat? " TO ,"actually we'd like to introduce you to some bible studies as well."

Discresion plays a major part no doubt

I imagine it's easier with some and downright near impossible others.
I just come out with it, 'would you like a free home bible study,' usually people say 'no
thanks' and i just thank them for their time and go way. I never ever try to persuade
people, its a waste of my time and theirs and i never argue with people either, i simply
cannot be bothered with the hassle although one guy who tried to get aggressive
backed off why i asked if he was threatening me.

u
semper fi

Moves
14 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
I have a few Mormons in my family... odd stuff but to each their own. They have been persecuted way worse than the JW, but maybe it is just my lack of education on the JW. Perhaps some historical elaboration is in order. In what way ave JWs been persecuted?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
Well I am going on what he posted. That's what a forum is all about. My question was, why did his explanation for storming off [temporarily, as it turns out] cite the "well documented [...] persecution aspect of JW's history". Why would that be? Is it fair to those JWs who have been persecuted in the past, for him to lump himself in with them simply because of debate and disagreement on a forum like this?
Well if I lump myself in with the JW's who have been persecuted what concern is that of yours? You don't know me at all and you certainly don't know what my past has been and what I may have or not have gone thru in my life as a Witness.
But I can promise you if you did you would think differently about my accusations of pesecution and knowing what it is and isn't...

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 Dec 11

BTW
Thank you that's very kind...