No Middle Ground

No Middle Ground

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Jan 12

Originally posted by JS357

You're judging me as unsaved? That makes you the one judging me to have a reprobate mind.

http://tbmonline.forum-phpbb.in/t48-reprobate-mind

I will not waste our time on my biography. Use your imagination. I am sure it will envision no possibility of a middle ground between 'Believer in Christ' and 'unsaved.'
31 Dec '11 22:07 :: 1 edit
Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"Any conversational value here is trumped by my concern for your immortal soul."

"I've never really considered you to provide much in the way of "conversational value", Grampy Bobby. And your concern is wasted on me as I am an ex-Christian. Your inability to address my comments head on is noted. Your either/or dilemma logical fallacy, your failed analogy about divegeester, your entreaty to join you in groupthink, and your hyper-partisan "There Is No Middle Ground" chest-beating religionist OP, are all wasted on me. Happy New Year!" -FMF

My apology for the social error, JS357. These words belong to FMF.

F

Moves
01 Jan 12

It happens to be a pre-oocupation you care about with immense passion. As such it may serve to set the tone and bar for the thread by suggesting trivial, frivolous, knee-jerk defensive reactions be excluded in favor of a few, serious and thoughtful responses.

Persisting with this discussion-dodging red herring of yours about what happens to be on my profile page is hardly "serious and thoughtful", Grampy Bobby.

Moves
01 Jan 12

31 Dec '11 22:07 :: 1 edit
"Any conversational value here is trumped by my concern for your immortal soul."

"I've never really considered you to provide much in the way of "conversational value", Grampy Bobby. And [b]your concern is wasted on me as I am an ex-Christian.[/ ...[text shortened]... ................

My apology for the social error, JS357. These words belong to FMF.
That's OK, I can think of worse mix-ups you could make.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Jan 12

Originally posted by FMF
Persisting with this discussion-dodging red herring of yours about what happens to be on my profile page is hardly "serious and thoughtful", Grampy Bobby.
Truce? If so, let's agree to let the conversation continue without us until Tuesday.

🙂

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
02 Jan 12

Truce? If so, let's agree to let the conversation continue without us until Tuesday.

🙂
what? your not posting to FMF or at all til tuesday?cause if so then I'd love to highjack this thread 🙂

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Jan 12

Originally posted by karoly aczel
what? your not posting to FMF or at all til tuesday?cause if so then I'd love to highjack this thread 🙂
Highjacking legal?

Moves
02 Jan 12

Highjacking legal?
On this forum it's the most common way threads last very long (and at that, only nominally), although it usually occurs without intent.

http://almostdiamonds.blogspot.com/2008/12/how-to-hijack-thread.html

Consider it a form of memetic evolution. As with bioevolution it can occur with or without intent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memetics

http://pcp.lanl.gov/MEMEEVOL.html

In fact, this post may be just such an example. There being no middle ground, and all. 😉

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
02 Jan 12

Highjacking legal?
Well that answers one question. Ta 🙂

The question of the middle ground is indeed an interesting topic.
But my take would no doubt be seen as "Wishy washy" or at best "optimistic".

I'm rally sick of this negativity, I thought "pleasant sunrise" was a totally new poster , now I feel I have been taken in somewhat possibly. But what I felt from that was genuine, so even if the poster is bogus in some way, I can say with 100% certainty that it was a good story. That is to say I dont necessarily agree with the info 100%, but I do resonate with it.

Moves
02 Jan 12
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Well that answers one question. Ta 🙂

The question of the middle ground is indeed an interesting topic.
But my take would no doubt be seen as "Wishy washy" or at best "optimistic".

I'm rally sick of this negativity, I thought "pleasant sunrise" was a totally new poster , now I feel I have been taken in somewhat possibly. But what I felt from th ...[text shortened]... y. That is to say I dont necessarily agree with the info 100%, but I do resonate with it.
It had the potential to be interesting but GB squelched that. The point being (IMO) that there is a pro-Christian interpretation (Jesus is who the Bible {"He" according to GB} says he is), an anti-Christian interpretation (Jesus was an intentional fraud), and a literary/historicist interpretation (The Bible writers wrote what they wrote, without divine guidance, and it does not necessarily describe what happened.) Rejecting this last interpretation out of hand is, in effect, a vote for the Christian interpretation, revealing that the initial question is merely a rhetorical device. But some Christians may be blind to this.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Jan 12

Originally posted by JS357
It had the potential to be interesting but GB squelched that. The point being (IMO) that there is a pro-Christian interpretation (Jesus is who the Bible {"He" according to GB} says he is), an anti-Christian interpretation (Jesus was an intentional fraud), and a literary/historicist interpretation (The Bible writers wrote what they wrote, without divine guidanc ...[text shortened]... the initial question is merely a rhetorical device. But some Christians may be blind to this.
Made an assertion of what I believe, with the hope that it would encourage others to make similar direct assertions of what they believe. Instead the simple conversational gambit succeeded in generating far more heat than light. Let's consider the thread closed.

.me

F

Moves
02 Jan 12
1 edit

Made an assertion of what I believe, with the hope that it would encourage others to make similar direct assertions of what they believe. Instead the simple conversational gambit succeeded in generating far more heat than light.
Well, what I believe is that your kind of "There Is No Middle Ground" prism, in terms of things like politics and religion, is the sort of naive, indoctrinated, philosophical duckspeak that helps to "drive the persecution engine around the globe in our own life and times", as you rather ironically put it. This "direct assertion" of mine sent you off on a fatuous tangent about "The Grateful Dead": this would be a good example of you, not others, generating 'more heat than light', I reckon.

Moves
02 Jan 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Yeah, maybe he drank too much old wine or smoked some weed that day,
Right? 😉
Maybe, maybe not, but it's more likely than JC being the son of god.

Moves
02 Jan 12

You're a good sport, gf... and thanks for weighing in with our daily dose of anticipated fluff whether we wanted it or not.

Well done for countering precisely none of my arguments.

You make a flawed argument, I point out the flaws, you make fun of me....

Which of us is posting fluff do you think....

Moves
02 Jan 12

Made an assertion of what I believe, with the hope that it would encourage others to make similar direct assertions of what they believe. Instead the simple conversational gambit succeeded in generating far more heat than light. Let's consider the thread closed.

.me

Responses limited to direct assertions are not to be expected by veterans of this forum, but my response concerning the possibility that what is said of and "by" Jesus in the Bible were not his words, was a direct assertion, that you squelched by your snide ad hominem remark asking whether Mr. Still is my 'pastor/teacher.' I, as well as others here, see you as the person who generated more heat than light.

g

kent

Moves
02 Jan 12

I always find non believers struggle with the following;

The position of the followers of Christ.

They somehow managed to find the courage to carry on the mission of the Lord knowing full well the likely fate they would suffer at the hands of the Romans etc. Would not the easy option be to abandon the whole thing rather than face a similar punishment?

So why exactly did they carry on professing the message of our Lord unless they had seen the risen Christ?