1. Not Kansas
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 07:36
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Noah got the animals that God sent, pairs of every kind, and seven
    of some.

The water came from above and below the earth, and if you read a
    little earlier in the same book you will see that the whole planet was
    at one time covered with water, so I'd say there was enough.

The animals, either walked, crawled, slithered, flew, or whatever else
    they ...[text shortened]... but so could you. Why would you think it was impossible for water
    to cover the planet?
    Kelly
    Where is all that water now?
    It's not here.
    Also, your geology is off, 10,000 years ago,(or whatever) the continents were seperated, not one land mass.
    There was no global flood, because there is not enough water.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 07:42
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Where is all that water now?
    It's not here.
    Also, your geology is off, 10,000 years ago,(or whatever) the continents were seperated, not one land mass.
    There was no global flood, because there is not enough water.
    Oh yea, at that time 7-10K years ago does CNN have pictures
    of the land masses the earth had at that time, and they are
    posted where?

I don't know how much water is under ground, you have those
    numbers next to the time machine that lets us know what the
    earth looked like 7-10K years ago?
    Kelly
  3. Not Kansas
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 07:58
    Oh yea, at that time 7-10K years ago does CNN have pictures
    of the land masses the earth had at that time, and they are
    posted where?

I don't know how much water is under ground, you have those
    numbers next to the time machine that lets us know what the
    earth looked like 7-10K years ago?
    Kelly
    We don't need a time machine.
    We can measure the speed of two cars going in opposite directions on a two-lane highway and compute the time and point where they passed each other.
    With certainty. No doubt about it.

Where's the water for the flood? It's nowhere!
  4. Copenhagen
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 08:401 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Because that much water doesn't exist on earth. Above it or below it.
    All you lack is faith. Surely GOD, HALLELUJAH, could provide a little excess water. And why should there even be 29,000 ft of water, surely if the continents could be united (as KellyJay suggest) the mountains could have risen afterwards, that would also explain why we find fossils of sea animals high up in the mountains. Of course the pace of mountain building would have to be a bit higher than today, but that should not be a problem for GOD, HALLELUJAH.
  5. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 09:08
    Originally posted by nickybutt
    All you lack is faith. Surely GOD, HALLELUJAH, could provide a little excess water. And why should there even be 29,000 ft of water, surely if the continents could be united (as KellyJay suggest) the mountains could have risen afterwards, that would also explain why we find fossils of sea animals high up in the mountains. Of course the pace of mountain bu ...[text shortened]... would have to be a bit higher than today, but that should not be a problem for GOD, HALLELUJAH.
    Or He could have told em just modify the much earlier Sumerian flood story.
  6. Copenhagen
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 09:42
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Or He could have told em just modify the much earlier Sumerian flood story.
    Since genetic research have shown that GOD, HALLELUJAH, is a copycat, that is not such a bad theory!

By the way, how do we know that the Sumerian flood story is older, couldn't they have been created simultaneously? Perhaps the Jewish just wasn't written down on paper/papyrus until much later... Not that I care though...
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 09:49
    Since genetic research have shown that GOD, HALLELUJAH, is a copycat, that is not such a bad theory!

By the way, how do we know that the Sumerian flood story is older, couldn't they have been created simultaneously? Perhaps the Jewish just wasn't written down on paper/papyrus until much later... Not that I care though...
    thats actually an easy question to answer.

the tablets were written in Indo-European Sumerian

and by the time Abram was born in Ur the language had become the semetic Akkadian.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 12:08

There a lot of flood stories around the world, wonder why?
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 12:21
    Because floods happen. What didn't happen however was the complete earth-covering flood. And it definately didn't happen a couple of thousand years ago. We'd still be up to our asses in mud if it had.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 15:03
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Because floods happen. What didn't happen however was the complete earth-covering flood. And it definately didn't happen a couple of thousand years ago. We'd still be up to our asses in mud if it had.
    Yes, there are a lot of floods, that however does not automatically
    translate into a lot of flood stories that cover the earth which there
    appears to be. Your wrong about the mud too.
    Kelly
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 16:46
    Yea, a story where God acts, that is not allowed to have God act, must
    have something wrong with it.
    Kelly
    I don't know why you quote my post, KJ, since your response is pretty irrelevant to it. In fact, I pointed out that literalist xtians have a problem when they try to justify the Flood with any natural claim, as they will invariably render it a moot point by appealing to Goddunnit at some point. It's almost as if they realize that Goddunnit is weak and so appeal to it only as a last resort. If they can find a natural alternative, they use it first (evil methodilogical naturalism!). Invariably these natural alternatives, while satisfying the immediate crisis, fail along multiple other dimensions.

That is what I said. Be respectful, please, KJ. Do not act like dj2 and Darfius and such, who either completely ignore what some one writes or at best give it only the most casual attention because they are in hurry to post their favorite one-liner.
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 16:482 edits
    Noah got the animals that God sent, pairs of every kind, and seven
    of some.

The water came from above and below the earth, and if you read a
    little earlier in the same book you will see that the whole planet was
    at one time covered w ...[text shortened]... u think it was impossible for water
    to cover the planet?
    Kelly
    What's with the natural explanations, KJ? Just get to the point.

God can do anything. God did it. It doesn't matter how, as there are an infinite number of ways he could do it.
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 16:54
    Yes, there are a lot of floods, that however does not automatically
    translate into a lot of flood stories that cover the earth which there
    appears to be. Your wrong about the mud too.
    Kelly
    Now I know that I am about to entertain a natural explaination, and that such an enterprise is unnecessary.

I would like to know why you don't think the earth would be covered in an enormous mudlayer? I have lived through a local flood, I guarentee you that floods leave exactly that. A flood as big and sudden as the one proposed by the literalists, a flood that is supposed to have moved continents and shaped mountains, would leave a tremendous layer of mud over the entire earth.

Are you going to offer a reasonable naturalistic explaination that is consistent with our scientific understanding of floods, or is now the time to skip to the crux of the matter?

14. Not Kansas
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 17:19
    People who believe in a global flood must say "Goddunnit" because there is no evidence of such a thing ever happening and if it did happen, there would be clear evidence.
    So, Goddunnit and erased the record.
    In the real world, it never happened and Noah's flood is not different from other flood stories.
    The Black Sea flood could be a model for some of these stories.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '05 18:33
    Originally posted by telerion
    I don't know why you quote my post, KJ, since your response is pretty irrelevant to it. In fact, I pointed out that literalist xtians have a problem when they try to justify the Flood with any natural claim, as they will invariably render it a moot point by appealing to Goddunnit at some point. It's almost as if they realize that Goddunnit is weak and s ...[text shortened]... ve it only the most casual attention because they are in hurry to post their favorite one-liner.
    I do not have trouble one saying God did it, because I believe that
    God did it. Your post seemed to slam that, that was why I used
    your post. I don't see how anyone can avoid God acted during that
    story since the whole point of that story is one big, God acted.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree