1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 17:47
    Originally posted by David C
    Sarcasm does not become you. If you would bother to read frogstomp's post on page 1, the Sumerian deluge myth is quite clearly the basis from which Noah is derived.
    There are several flood stories thoughout time, it could be they are
    all stories passed down about an event people had told to them
    about; a real event too, but the telling changed the story somewhat.
    Kelly
  2. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 19:24
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I was under the impression this is the "Spirituality" board, the belief
    is just that a matter of faith as most of the Bible is. There are a lot
    of things within the 'class room' that must all be accepted as a belief
    because no one has seen them, nor will they ever see them.
    Kelly
    Ask yourself one question:

Would Christ have caused that flood ?
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 19:28
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Ask yourself one question:

Would Christ have caused that flood ?
    Yes
    Have you read Jesus' words on what is going to happen on judgment
    day, and why?
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 20:09
    Yes
    Have you read Jesus' words on what is going to happen on judgment
    day, and why?
    Kelly
    which time ?
    and remember His kingdom is not of this world.
    Don't be so quick to answer such a fundamental question about the nature of God.
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 20:47
    Kelly
    So, you tacitly admit that the christian bible is plagarized works.
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 21:52
    Sometimes, I think the narrative context of Biblical stories is a bit like a jeweler’s cloth, on which the jeweler displays precious gems. The purpose of the cloth is to enable the gems to stand out. Our job is to examine the gems. Sometimes, we may need to check within the folds and wrinkles of the cloth…

Take the Noah story as a “disaster story.” Disaster stories are very popular today (the movies The Poseidon Adventure, Volcano, Deep Impact, The Day After Tomorrow, for example). Perhaps they’ve always been popular—even if mythologized from past real events. And generally, they have a point, a lesson or lessons to be learned—the triumph of the human spirit, the importance of pulling together, etc.

Here is the lesson taken from the Jewish mystical text, the Zohar, regarding Noah:

When Noah came out of the ark, he opened his eyes and saw the whole world completely destroyed. He began crying for the world and said, “Master of the World! If you destroyed your world because of human sin or human fools, then why did you create them? One or the other you should do: either do not create the human being or do not destroy the world!”

Our Rabbis have taught: How did the Blessed Holy One respond when Noah came out of the ark, and saw the whole world destroyed, and began to cry over the holocaust? Noah said, “Master of the World, you are called Compassionate! You should have shown compassion for your creatures!”

The Blessed Holy One answered him, “Foolish shepherd! Now you say this, but not when I spoke to you tenderly, saying ‘Make yourself an ark of gopher wood...I am about to bring the Flood….’ I lingered with you and spoke to you at length, so that you would ask mercy for the world! But as soon as you heard that you would be safe in the ark, the evil of the world did not touch your heart. You built the ark and saved yourself. Now that the world has been destroyed, you open your mouth to utter questions and pleas?”

Rabbi Yohanan said: “Come and see the difference between Noah and the righteous heroes of Israel! Noah did not shield his generation and did not pray for them like Abraham. For as soon as the Blessed Holy One said to Abraham, ‘The outcry of Sodom and Gomorrah is so great,’ immediately Abraham came forward and said, “Will you sweep away the innocent along with the guilty?’ He countered the Blessed Holy One with more and more words until finally he implored him to forgive the entire generation if just ten innocent people could be found. Abraham thought there were ten people in the city, counting Lot and his wife and sons and daughters; that is why he entreated no more.”

Moses also shielded his entire generation….Our Rabbis have said: “Moses did not leave the Blessed Holy One until he pledged his life for them, both in this world and the world that is coming, as it is written: ‘And now if You would only forgive their sin! If not, erase me from the book that You have written.’ (Exodus 32:32).

So all the righteous heroes shielded their generations….And Noah? The Blessed Holy One lingered with him and spoke many words to him; perhaps he would ask for mercy for his generation. But he did not care and did not ask for mercy. He just built the ark, and the whole world was destroyed.

[From Zohar, The Book of Enlightenment, translated by Daniel Matt, Paulist Press, 1983.]

So, when we see even a wicked person suffering, even if it is as a result of their wickedness, what do we do?
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 23:19
    So, you tacitly admit that the christian bible is plagarized works.
    No
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 23:21
    Kelly

No
    Kelly

Yes.
    David
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 23:21
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    which time ?
    and remember His kingdom is not of this world.
    Don't be so quick to answer such a fundamental question about the nature of God.
    Each and every time Jesus spoke about it, and yes I agree with you
    that Christ's Kingdom isn't of this world, this world is going to go up in
    flames when it is all said and done.
    Kelly
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    06 Jul '05 19:06
    Isn't there some evidence in the glacial cores that there was a dramatic global climate shift around 3200 BCE? A very sudden one at that? Flash-frozen fauna, Oetzi (sp?) the Iceman and such?
    I don't know Dave. I am not up to snuff on the subject of glacial cores. If each layer is deposited annually, and then I would think there would be a frozen mud layer right about that period. I would wonder how the water didn't melt the glaciers (maybe God kept all the water tempratures constant at their pre-Flood levels even as billions of gallons of fresh water fell into it at incredible rates.
  11. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    06 Jul '05 19:56
    If noah did live, and was the only family to live thru the flood, where did coloured people come from?
  12. Joined
    05 Jul '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '05 20:19
    Originally posted by dale21
    If noah did live, and was the only family to live thru the flood, where did coloured people come from?
    They came from noah's son Ham
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    06 Jul '05 20:28
    Originally posted by dale21
    Ever heard of super-genes?

Talk about denial, eh? Almost as bad as the denial Noah was going through. Sure, Noah, your wife is satisfied! 🙂

http://www.answersingenesis.org/aftereden/view.aspx?id=154

If you want to check out more ironically funny fundamentalist cartoons, there are pages and pages of them here:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/aftereden/index.aspx?st=1
  14. Not Kansas
    Moves
    06 Jul '05 21:19
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Sometimes, I think the narrative context of Biblical stories is a bit like a jeweler’s cloth, on which the jeweler displays precious gems. The purpose of the cloth is to enable the gems to stand out. Our job is to examine the gems. Sometimes, we may need to check within the folds and wrinkles of the cloth…

Take the Noah story as a “disaster story.” Di ...[text shortened]... even a wicked person suffering, even if it is as a result of their wickedness, what do we do?
    So it's all Noah's fault?
    Think about this, Noah was presumably the Best Man In The World and he didn't give a sh1t about anyone else except himself.
    These old tales have a low opinion of humanity, it's a pity that these ideas spread to Rome.
  15. Not Kansas
    Moves
    06 Jul '05 21:21
    Each and every time Jesus spoke about it, and yes I agree with you
    that Christ's Kingdom isn't of this world, this world is going to go up in
    flames when it is all said and done.
    Kelly
    In a few billion years our sun will go nova and burn the Earth, so this is one prediction that can't fail.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree