You can’t execute something that is already dead - sounds like a wind up
    Certainly seems that way.
  2. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    08 Sep '21 16:471 edit
    @kingdavid403 said
    I checked all english translations; only the King James version, and the 1867 John Nelson Darby translation have the word 'Jehovah' instead of 'The Lord' written in Psalm 83:18. All other translations have "The Lord' written. Can you share the problem you have with 'The Lord" instead of 'Jehovah' being written? Is this a religion thing? or something else? Why not one of the 7 other names used for God in the Bible? Thanks for your time.
    King David - I'm impressed with your detective work, and thank you for taking the time and trouble to gather evidence.

I have s number of issues with swapping "The Lord" for "Jehovah"

1) There is a basic principal that we see, a warning within Revelation.

Revelation 22:18,19

18. For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
    19. And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

2) The Lord is Jesus Christ, so to make the change becomes a trinitarian bias in translation

3) if you change any of the Bible you have compromise it's integrity. Nobody has the right to alter the bible (in my opinion), and why would any sincere one wish to?

4) In the days that the Psalms were written, The Lord would have actually referred to Bale.

Could you elucidate on the other names of God that you are referring to please?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Sep '21 17:16
    @medullah said
    Which scripture (s) are you quoting?
    First is of course Jesus making the claim that most people are on the road to destruction.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biblegateway.com/passage/%3fsearch=Mark%2b7:20-23&version=NASB&interface=amp

Sexual immorality sends people to hell, since any homosexual sex is immoral sex according to the Bible, what I said is absolutely true.
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Sep '21 17:19
    @eladar said
    First is of course Jesus making the claim that most people are on the road to destruction.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biblegateway.com/passage/%3fsearch=Mark%2b7:20-23&version=NASB&interface=amp

Sexual immorality sends people to hell, since any homosexual sex is immoral sex according to the Bible, what I said is absolutely true.
    And you read that as a promise that god will 'execute' the souls of homosexuals after they're dead?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Sep '21 18:341 edit
    @avalanchethecat said
    And you read that as a promise that god will 'execute' the souls of homosexuals after they're dead?
    If you are on the road to destruction, you end up being destroyed.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Sep '21 19:38
    @eladar said
    If you are on the road to destruction, you end up being destroyed.
    So that's a no then?
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Sep '21 20:24
    @avalanchethecat said
    So that's a no then?
    Insert whatever you want for the eternal punishment.

Something for you to look forward to according to Jesus.
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Sep '21 20:52
    @eladar said

For ME to look forward to? Oh hilarity. Do you think I am hellbound because I think you're an a$$hole? You are truly special.
  9. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    08 Sep '21 21:19
    @eladar said
    The instructions to the ancient citizens of Israel? Sorry, I do not live there.
    No one is asking you where you live.

I’m referring to your OP where you are calling out the old and New Testament sanctions against homosexuality and the penalty for it.

You can run away from my question if you feel the need to, but responding with “I do not live there” is hardly a credible response to it.
  10. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    08 Sep '21 21:20
    @eladar said

Are the Old Testament scriptures, which you refer to in your OP, still applicable today?
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    08 Sep '21 21:36
    @eladar said
    Is there any way for modern Christians to deny that that they worship a God that ordered homosexuals executed simply for practicing homosexuality? In the New Testament the belief of homosexuality still being sinful and immoral. How do modern people claim to be Christians but deny scripture?
    But you have to remember, the OT is actually listing what amounts for the maximum punishments, not punishments that are even mandated as having to be filled out to that extent.

The proof is in the fact that there are two other references in the Old Testament to homosexual prostitutes - they were never put to death by the Kings, but they were simply banished from the city in these references. There's not a single example of someone being stoned to death for homosexuality, because it was exceedingly rare, if it ever happened at all.

Just as such, there is the passage in the Old Testament about how can be executed for disobeying one's parents.

This is something that has produced its own salt mines over the years in terms of atheist reaction, but, again, the traditional idea is that this is the maximum punishment, and there is actually no example of it ever being carried out to that extent that I know of.

Anyone can understand why these things would be included in the Hebrew laws out of pure expediency -- for a strong deterrent can result in people being far more committed to avoiding these forms of behavior.

But what am I really doing here..? Proposing that regular humans be charitable and nuanced in how they interpret the Bible? There's no chance of that.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Sep '21 21:39
    @Philokalia

My point was that homosexuality is by definition sin.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Sep '21 23:18
    @velns said
    Are the Old Testament scriptures, which you refer to in your OP, still applicable today?
    The ones that were not explicitly said as unimportant in the New Testament.

Homosexuality is defined as evil in both NT and OT.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Sep '21 04:021 edit
    @medullah said
    King David - I'm impressed with your detective work, and thank you for taking the time and trouble to gather evidence.

I have s number of issues with swapping "The Lord" for "Jehovah"

1) There is a basic principal that we see, a warning within Revelation.

Revelation 22:18,19

18. For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If ...[text shortened]... referred to Bale.

Could you elucidate on the other names of God that you are referring to please?
    No, see, now I have a problem with this. I have no problem translating YHWH as 'the Lord', but translating it as 'Jehovah' sounds like someone pulled that name out of their ass. Given the difficulties of the Hebrew language and its alphabet, translating it into YHWH is one thing, but taking that and trying to pronounce it in English is another. The Jews have no problem with a God with an unpronouncable name; it's only in English that we get uptight about 'needing' a pronouncable name for our God. Like we're going to 'call him out' or some nonsense. He is considered our Heavenly Father, and most people don't go around calling their father by his given name. So in our rush to give him a name, I think the likelihood that we have erred in this name is very high.

I like this:
    "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you." -- Exodus 3:14, KJV

More important than knowing his "name" is knowing that "I AM."
  15. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    09 Sep '21 07:491 edit
    @eladar said
    The ones that were not explicitly said as unimportant in the New Testament.
    Let me just read again what you have written here..

I asked you if the OT scriptures sanctioning homosexuality and explicitly detailing its punishment were still applicable today.

And you have replied:

“The ones that were not explicitly said as unimportant in the New Testament”

Does your reply even make sense? Is it deliberately obscure and incomprehensible because you are running away from my question?

OK, let’s have another try with you:
    Question; Which of the Old Testament scriptures which condemn homosexuality and detail it’s punishment ARE applicable today?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree