Religious people are functionally insane.

Religious people are functionally insane.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
24 Oct 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Abraham was about, his intent was, to sacrifice a child in the name of god, so there are scacrifices in our religion too. Martures are also a kind of sacrifices, of oneself but still sacrifices.

I used the Tibetan culture to exemlify why the western civilization is not the most advanced spiritual culture. Every culture using violence is inferiour.

I ...[text shortened]... o back on-topic. Let's continue with the "Religious people are functionally insane" topic.
Abraham was about, his intent was, to sacrifice a child in the name of god, so there are scacrifices[sic] in our religion too.
There was NO sacrifice. What part of that don't you understand? (and, by he way, it's not "my" religion)

Martures[sic] are also a kind of sacrifices, of oneself but still sacrifices.
You seem to have trouble distinguishing being killed as an offering to the gods or being sentenced to death for political reasons.

I used the Tibetan culture to exemlify[sic] why the western civilization is not the most advanced spiritual culture. Every culture using violence is inferiour[sic].
Nobody said it was the most "advanced". It was you who said it was "spiritually inferior" to the Mayans, Incas and native Americans. Bringing up the Tibetan culture has no relevance regarding the comparison between the other two groups. It's straight-forward logic, Fabian. Use it.

I expressed my douts that the western civilization was more *spiritually* advanced, not more advanced by western standards.

No, you said western civilization was "less advanced spiritually" than "Mayans, Incas and native Americans". Either retract that statement, argue why it is "inferior" or stop your babbling nonsense.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Oct 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
So you rationalize every case of christians screwing over other cultures thinking they have the right and duty to do so, like the Aborigine in Australia, like many tribes around the world get screwed over by christianity, like what happened to Hawaiians, converted to christianity and now a depressed alcoholic lot? Why can't you admit christians should just leave these indiginous people alone to live out their chosen destiny rather than destroy them?
So you rationalize every case of christians screwing over other cultures thinking they have the right and duty to do so, like the Aborigine in Australia, like many tribes around the world get screwed over by christianity,

Given that you did not respond to my last post, I am guessing that this accusation, that Christianity ruined Aboriginal cultures, is not one that you will defend. But I will outline my case and hope that you abandon this ridiculous charge. I come from Australia. I know Australian history. The first settlers in Australia were not missionaries but penal colonies. In modern times, Aborigines have never complained about Christian influence but about the way white settlers stole land and committed genocide of some clans. Another major issue has been the policies which brought about the 'stolen generation' (in which Aboriginal children were taken from their homes). At the moment, the main problems that face Aborigines is not Christianity, but alcohol and drug dependency, pervasive sexual abuse and joblessness. Christian charities are amongst those organisations helping Aborigines.

I am also studying Aboriginal language at uni, and it is interesting to note that records of some Aboriginal languages are known only by records left by missionaries wishing to translate the bible and converse with Aborigines. Christion missionaries actually preserved Aboriginal culture. Many Aboriginal languages have subsequently died not because of Christian influence but because modernity destroyed the clan system in which those languages lived. I think you are ridiculously ignorant.

k

Moves
24 Oct 08
1 edit

EDITED: I want to make sure the idiot knows this is for him/her so...

TO ZHALANZI

LOL. wow. you are so angry, little man. Look, can you disprove fairies? can you disprove zeus? how about a sun god? can you disprove any god? you're an idiot. the burden of proof of existence is on you, moron. I wasn't calling you stupid before, but seeing as how you want to be childish, I shall temporarily stoop to your level...just for fun.

You're an idiot. Your logic is just as idiotic. "nothing can exist without something having existed before that thing...thus, god started it all." oh, yeah, really good argument. what was around before god? oh, I forgot, you're immune to your own logic. stupid.

I only responded to your post this time because yours was such a pathetic, angry, childish response that I didn't want you dancing around in your idiot bubble thinking that you "won" in any way...I'm simply going to stop responding to your nonsense now that I have said what I needed to and now that you have shown that you are not willing to change your mind.

last point: if you will always give in to logic, then where did your god come from? when did you logically come to the conclusion that god exists and how much does this fairy god care about you or me or anyone else with all the crap that happens in this world?

Peace, you feeble minded idiot. I shall no longer call you names. ๐Ÿ™‚ now i'll be all grown-up again. Please don't bring me down to your level again. It's sad that I stooped to it, but I won't do it again...pinky promise.

rc

Moves
24 Oct 08
1 edit

Originally posted by kast

TO ZHALANZI

LOL. wow. you are so angry, little man. Look, can you disprove fairies? can you disprove zeus? how about a sun god? can you disprove any god? you're an idiot. the burden of proof of existence is on you, moron. I wasn't calling you stupid before, but seeing as how yo el again. It's sad that I stooped to it, but I won't do it again...pinky promise.
'bravely', spoken from the comfort of your pc! you really should get either a women or a dummy tit to provide you with at least a measure of comfort, assuming of course youre a man.

Moves
24 Oct 08

TO ZHALANZI

LOL. wow. you are so angry, little man. Look, can you disprove fairies? can you disprove zeus? how about a sun god? can you disprove any god? you're an idiot. the burden of proof of existence is on you, moron. I wasn't calling you stupid before, but seeing as how yo ...[text shortened]... el again. It's sad that I stooped to it, but I won't do it again...pinky promise.
It's ironic, to say the least, that you are guilty of every insult you would try to hurl at Zhalanzi. You say nothing coherent and surround it with invective. You might dare to use the word 'Peace', but everything you say speaks of anger and intolerance. You have not stooped to his level; you've stooped much, much lower. You've done it before, I'm sure, and you'll do it again and conveniently disregard your shallow 'promise'. Bah.

k

Moves
24 Oct 08

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
'bravely', said from the comfort of your pc! you really should get either a women or a dummy tit to provide you with at least a measure of comfort, assuming of course youre a man.
get a women? how does one get a women?

And I'm sure you're not 'bravely' responding as a smart ass from the comfort of your pc. I bet when YOU responded, you were simultaneously doing something very manly, like drinking a beer while hunting boar and responding to my post via your wireless connection on your outdoor, rugged laptop.

Why do I need comforting? I feel just fine. Maybe you should post something relevant to the conversation instead of merely trying to protect zhalanzi. Are you simply trying to put in your punch at the atheist? I have and would debate someone on the topic of the plausibility of the existence of god. If they merely retorted that I was making stupid statements and that they could easily demolish any argument I might have while not actually doing a good job of that anyway, then yes...I would tell them they were being stupid, idiotic, and all the rest.

Of course, since I can't prove that to you, or the nonexistence of god, you'll just ASSUME that you are right. Go ahead. Keep assuming. These types of threads get us nowhere. You will believe in whatever you want until you die or until you read enough on your own to change your mind. I did. There's hope for you yet!

Prayer: Please, God...help these people understand that you don't exist. Help them let go of some of their anger over the fact that deep down, they know you probably aren't real. And most importantly, help them realize the hypocrisy of the bible, their churches, and the many hypocrites (not all, lord) that pretend to believe but are actually just a bunch of judgmental pricks.

๐Ÿ™‚

rc

Moves
24 Oct 08
1 edit

get a women? how does one get a women?

And I'm sure you're not 'bravely' responding as a smart ass from the comfort of your pc. I bet when YOU responded, you were simultaneously doing something very manly, like drinking a beer while hunting boar and responding to my post via your wireless connection on your outdoor, rugged laptop.

Why do I need comforti lord) that pretend to believe but are actually just a bunch of judgmental pricks.

๐Ÿ™‚
i dunno, how could YOU get a women ?, maybe change you're attitude and possibly your wardrobe, are you're clothes a little earthly, you know a little bit funky, could you possibly sharpen up a little, failing that you could go to walmart and but three dummies for a dollar and chew on those while you are posting your grossly uninspired prejudiced generalisations completely devoid of reason, and/or any basis in reality other than youre own scorned little egocentric void! anyhow i thought you were gonna get lost, or perhaps ! wished that you were! lol, its been fun 'rapping', well its not really, anyhow, cya, its been...well thankfully its been!

k

Moves
25 Oct 08

oh my goodness. hahaha. Ok pumpkin king.

1) Zhalanzi, I apologize. Your comment that "...it is obvious you don't post on this forum. you would have known me better than to ask those stupid questions, because i would have corrected you time and time again..." did anger me. It was foolish of me to respond with such aggression just because you seemed hostile towards my questions. I should have just made my case again and ignored your ugly response.

2) I'm not joking. I know it might seem like I'm being a smart ass, but I reread my comment and, yeah, I was pissed. So, there.

3) Pumpkin king, while you have helped me realize my need to calm down and not resort to such hostile language, I don't really see how it was necessarily incoherent. Either way, it is what it is and I can't delete it. too bad for all those who felt I was too harsh against zhalanzi. Secondly, I have shown an intolerance. I admit that after dealing with these types of illogical arguments for why god must exist, I get tired of it and have grown rather weary of the whole debate. Why do I continue to visit the issue? Well, I also feel rather strongly against such illogical "logic" for the existence of god - especially since I once fervently believed (before I had too much of an education). No...haha, that's not another jab at those who believe, either. Just in my case, that's what got me out of my belief and "faith".

I hope that the next time zhalanzi is so fervently responding to someone's comments, though, that someone addresses it the same as they have deemed it necessary to address my angry spew.

last thing: "you've done it before, i'm sure, and you'll do it again..." c'mon. don't regard my promise as so shallow and don't assume that someone is always going to respond angrily just cause they have one or two excited rants. relax. I am really trying to have patience with the god believers' comments and even with their occasionally offensive responses to questions. honest.

PEACE - for real this time - ๐Ÿ˜‰
"bah"

k

Moves
25 Oct 08

lol. ok. get a womAn was the point...not womEn. you "get women" or "get a woman" not "get a women" or "get woman".

maybe you could read and think about why someone questioned your statement. It was not a big deal, really, just a bit funny. then you went and repeated it with a poor attempt at humor about my clothes or something. as for reasoning, you have yet to mention anything relevant to the conversation about whether or not god exists. I have gone off on a tangent a bit, I admit, but only to respond to people's responses about my response....response response response.

Anyway, I did break my promise, sort of, about leaving the discussion. I had to address some things. and now that I'm feeling more at ease, I might just stick around.

...awaiting your HILARIOUS response in rap form.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Oct 08

Originally posted by Conrau K
You are ignorant if you think Christianity is responsibe for the destruction of Aboriginal culture. Missionaries may have destroyed other indigenous cultures, but they did not ruin Aborigines. Racism and cultural supremacy are largely to blame. At the moment, it is Christian missionaries working to minimise alcohol dependency, fuel-sniffing and other destruction behaviours, which are rescuing Aborigines from extinction.
Ok, maybe I was wrong about the Abs, but why do white cultures think they need to 'save' Abs anyway? They had no trouble living for thousands of years without white man to ruin them, so why not just let them work out problems on their own, let them return to the land give them a couple million acres of their own to return to the life they knew thousands of years ago?

AH

Moves
25 Oct 08
5 edits

Originally posted by Conrau K
[b]So you rationalize every case of christians screwing over other cultures thinking they have the right and duty to do so, like the Aborigine in Australia, like many tribes around the world get screwed over by christianity,

Given that you did not respond to my last post, I am guessing that this accusation, that Christianity ruined Aboriginal culture stroyed the clan system in which those languages lived. I think you are ridiculously ignorant.[/b]
If you have any respect for other beliefs of other people then you should see the mere idea of imposing of Christianity on the aboriginal population as an act of intolerance to their beliefs since their traditional beliefs are generally incompatible with that of that of Christianity -and here is a link to support that claim of incompatibility:

http://www.ad2000.com.au/articles/1995/mar1995p10_848.html

I am not implying in any way in the above that traditional aboriginal beliefs are “better” or “worse” than Christian beliefs -although I have to say that I find the general lack of arrogance of those traditional aboriginal beliefs makes them vastly more appealing than those of Christianity. One part I find particularly likeable about the beliefs of some of them is the belief in a “dreamtime” -although, of course, I don’t actually share that belief.

Cape Town

Moves
25 Oct 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
Ok, maybe I was wrong about the Abs, but why do white cultures think they need to 'save' Abs anyway? They had no trouble living for thousands of years without white man to ruin them, so why not just let them work out problems on their own, let them return to the land give them a couple million acres of their own to return to the life they knew thousands of years ago?
Do you live the same way your parents and grand parents did? Do you want to? Most of the world wants cars / computers/ education the internet etc. Why do some people single out particular cultures or groups and pretend that those groups are so quaint that it would be nice to leave them in their ignorance and poverty and let them live as they did for thousands of years? Sure, if thats what they want then let them, but I very much doubt that its what they want, and I very much doubt if what you describe has been they way they have lived for several generations. Whats more, all the best land is taken so they would be shoved onto land that is not much good just as many native Americans were.

Cape Town

Moves
25 Oct 08

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
If you have any respect for other beliefs of other people then you should see the mere idea of imposing of Christianity on the aboriginal population as an act of intolerance to their beliefs since their traditional beliefs are generally incompatible with that of that of Christianity -and here is a link to support that claim of incompatibility:

htt ...[text shortened]... of them is the belief in a “dreamtime” -although, of course, I don’t actually share that belief.
Beliefs should never be imposed on others whether they are 'compatible' or not. Even imposing beliefs on your own children is wrong. Missionary work however is not necessarily imposing your beliefs on others - though it certainly has happened in some cases.

Beliefs also should not get preference simply because they are appealing or unappealing.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Oct 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
Do you live the same way your parents and grand parents did? Do you want to? Most of the world wants cars / computers/ education the internet etc. Why do some people single out particular cultures or groups and pretend that those groups are so quaint that it would be nice to leave them in their ignorance and poverty and let them live as they did for thous ...[text shortened]... aken so they would be shoved onto land that is not much good just as many native Americans were.
Most of the good land is taken, for sure. In Canada, they gave away a near country sized plot of land to the local Inuit, maybe not the right name. It can be done. But if you think Abs want our society why are they mired down in depression and alcoholism? They seem like a very unhappy lot to me, stuck between two worlds and unable make it in either one.

Zellulรคrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
25 Oct 08

105 posts and zero substance ... Of course, any thread founded on a mistaken notion of 'functional insanity' is bound to be worthless.